Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Possible move to KL, need advice...

Possible move to KL, need advice...

Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:39 pm
Wants to escape UK!

laban has a brilliant futurelaban has a brilliant futurelaban has a brilliant futurelaban has a brilliant futurelaban has a brilliant futurelaban has a brilliant future
Default Possible move to KL, need advice...

Have a job offer to move to KL from UK. Just returned to UK from 3 years in Dubai, but disillusioned with UK already! Whatever happened to customer service and why is every other person obese these days!!!

Anyway, what advice can anyone offer on living in KL. It seems my contract will be local rather than expat, but at this stage I am not entirely sure what that means. Its a long term posting, but I expect the employer to cover medical and schooling at least. A key question, but possibly hard to answer, how does the cost of living compare to the UK??

Any advice appreciated. Pitfalls, tips etc
Old Sep 7th 2006, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible move to KL, need advice...

Originally Posted by laban
Have a job offer to move to KL from UK. Just returned to UK from 3 years in Dubai, but disillusioned with UK already! Whatever happened to customer service and why is every other person obese these days!!!

Anyway, what advice can anyone offer on living in KL. It seems my contract will be local rather than expat, but at this stage I am not entirely sure what that means. Its a long term posting, but I expect the employer to cover medical and schooling at least. A key question, but possibly hard to answer, how does the cost of living compare to the UK??

Any advice appreciated. Pitfalls, tips etc
A local contract means you won't get all the perks that an expat would get.
Unlikely your salary will be a s high as an expats as well.

You will prolly have to find your own housing and there will be no housing allowance.

Don't know about Malaysia but many expats live on a local contract in S'pore.
They manage but it's not a great way to live.
May get some opposition to that statement but really no comparison between expat and local contract.

You really want to look at your contract and check everything is included, medical may not be. Schooling I doubt that's be covered.
Don't assume anything, ask.
Blimey you've been an expat before you must know what employers try to get away with.

Malaysia cost of living is cheaper than UK by quite a bit but the quality of some supermarket food is poor compared to the UK although it has got a lot better recently compared to when I worked there 30 and 12 years ago.

I assume you've got kids as you mention schooling.
The kids ill prolly love it but you will deffo have many headaches.

Sorry to be so negative and hopefully you'll get some positive answers to balance out mine.

Would I work there under a local contract.
No.

Last edited by ex reg; Sep 7th 2006 at 4:01 am.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

mollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant futuremollymalone has a brilliant future

Malaysia would be great, I would move there like a shot if I had the opportunity. I've been several times as my dad lived out there.

Try these websites, they have good information, especially the Forum page.

http://www.malaysia.alloexpat.com/

http://www.alloexpat.com/malaysia_expat_forum/
Old Sep 19th 2006, 8:24 am
Just Joined

JayneG is an unknown quantity at this point

"I assume you've got kids as you mention schooling.
The kids ill prolly love it but you will deffo have many headaches."

What sort of headaches, other than those normally associated with bringing up children?

Jayne
Old Sep 20th 2006, 6:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldn't worry too much over whether the contract is local or expat....a bad expat contract may be worse than a good local contract etc etc - it really does depend on whether the contract covers what you need or not. For expample if its local, its not likely to cover schooling, but you can allow for that when looking at the overall package - take off tuition fees and see whats left. Ditto for medical, cost of annual flights home etc. But be very aware that if you do it this way then the risk of tuition fee rises, insurance premium increases, exchange rates etc will be on you, rather than your employer.

We were on expat contracts in Singapore for 6 years, then went onto local for 2 years. All we did was gross up the total benefits of the expat contract, translate that into a $ sum, add a bit for hassle, exchange rate risk etc and present that as a take it or leave it sum. They took it and we ended up a lot better off, albeit classed as a local contract. There are potential pitfalls doing it that way though, no doubt about it - especially if you dont know the country/city. We had enough experience of the country to know how we needed to calculate and negotiate - you may not be in such a strong position. I certainly would not agree to anything without going out for a look-see and try to get a handle on what it is likely to cost for big ticket items (rent, transport, schooling, medical etc). Its a relatively small cost in the scheme of things, especially if you are looking at an 8-10 year placement - you need to get it right!

Good luck - and enjoy it - its 4or 5 years since we've been to KL, but I'm sure Malaysia is still a wonderful country. We loved it. Be interested to hear your views on the customer service when you've been there a while!