British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Planning to visit Penang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/planning-visit-penang-871844/)

kebi Feb 9th 2016 10:38 am

Re: Planning to visit Penang

Buying or renting is really a difficult decision in Penang. If you see it from the financial point of view the result will be renting. As BB says due to the oversupply this is a tenant’s market in the moment. With good negotiations you should get an apartment around/below RM 2/sqft per month which has a market value of RM 600 to 700/sqft. If you add up furnishing, maintenance fees and others you will realize your ROI is below 3%.

On the other hand you will have to live with the taste of your landlord. It is extremely difficult to find partly furnished (kitchen, air-con, fans , lights and curtains) properties. From my experience you will have to live with a compromise. A free translated German saying would be: “are you still renting or did you start living already”. If you buy for yourself and do not look for a ROI from rent income you might prefer buying.

Whereby I would not recommend to buy when you come here the first time. You will need to check if you like Malaysia and which is the location you prefer.

On a general note I was able to secure some tenancy agreements for clients which needed to be renovated by the tenant. The advantage was: Own furniture and renovation to their taste, long term (2x3 years) not to be terminated by the landlord, below RM 1/sqft. The only disadvantage I see is that you must be sure you want to stay there for the whole term.

kebi Feb 9th 2016 10:53 am

Since I know only about Penang horse riding is not so common here. There are the horse races and a number Penangites own horsed for that but they will not easily allow a stranger to ride them. My friend’s daughter came her for internship and although she is a equestrian dressage rider she was only allowed to ride some horses through personal connections

JC3 Feb 10th 2016 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Haachi (Post 11859689)
On a more hobby-ish note - I am a keen horse rider and would always want to carry on riding if I could. I see Countryside Stables has a good reputation (thinking of this on the holiday coming up as well) - does anyone know about the horsey scene in Penang, costs etc?

Hi,

An alternative to using the stables at Balik Pulau located in the centre of Penang island and about 30-40 minutes drive from the main expat belt, might be to ride along Batu Ferringhi beach.

There are three or four licensed operators at Batu Ferriunghi, who keep several former racehorses nearby. I read somewhere one operator had about 20 horses.

A few years ago horse-riding at Batu Ferringhi was banned following an accident. However the ban got lifted and horse riding is allowed in the area near the Bayview Beach Resort Hotel, starting from around 7am.

If you want a gallop, then I think early morning before 9am would be best before it gets too hot and before there’s children on the beach. I think the ‘legal’ area for riding is only about 500 yards long, but if you’re out riding early I doubt anyone will stop you having a good gallop along most of the beach. It’s well over a mile long.

Some of the operators have been doing this for 25 years or more, so I expect you could both find a horse that you like and negotiate a good rate if you will be riding regularly.

BTW I sent you a Private Message about locations to live, agents etc. Did you see it?

JC3

Haachi Feb 10th 2016 6:24 am

Hi JC3

Yes, I did see your message - very useful information, thank you. I have printed it out for reference.

Interesting info about the horses and riding too. It all helps to build up a picture.

Best,
Haachi