Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Planning to live in Malaysia

Planning to live in Malaysia

Old Jan 14th 2012, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to live in Malaysia

Originally Posted by SteveDW
If you decide to live in Malaysia, renting is incredibly cheap, especially outside KL. If you have the cash, put it in the bank and pay rent from the interest until prices correct.
May well do at some stage. But for now am getting far more interest on my cash in the bank here in OZ.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Nice to visit, boring as hell to live IMHO.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 7:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of agree with Atilla though I suppose it depends what life you want to lead. If you're into boating/yachting there's loads of marinas there... and of course the duty free there.

I had a holiday in Langkawi a few years back... 5 days I think. I liked the place but 5 days was really enough. In case you don't know, Penang and Langkawi, although fairly close to each other, are chalk and cheese. Langkawi is predominantly Malay. Penang is predominantly Chinese (though there's quite a lot of other races too).
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

MargaretM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Thanks for all the comments. We have decided to come out in May, hire a car and travel around to get a feel of some places. Thought we would travel south of KL and end up around Penang for a few days. Would anyone recommend any eco properties to visit?
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
May well do at some stage. But for now am getting far more interest on my cash in the bank here in OZ.
That's exactly where mine is. I know nothing about Malaysian banks, wasn't inferring that people should put their money there. I used 'The bank' as a generalisation, i.e. save your money and get the interest.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla
Nice to visit, boring as hell to live IMHO.
I'd agree with this, unless you have some projects to get one with (e.g. writing, a business). Even in retirement I'd like to be busy.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:47 am
Just Joined

grimke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MargaretM
Hi
We (the royal) have decided that Malaysia is going to be our next and possibly last move. So thinking of using MM2H but also want to buy something first for a few years beforehand. Can anyone help with their experience of using the above org. and good locales to start looking? Thanks.
Hi! Am very interested in this forum, because I'm moving to Penang as of this coming Sunday. Staying in a guest house for two weeks and then moving into a rented furnished apartment. I aim to rent it for 12-18 months and then go to the States.
I would really appreciate meeting up with some of u. I know I'll have a whole host of questions to ask about life in Malaysia and in Penang in particular. I decided upon Penang as my starting point to go to other places in the Far East.
Now that I am a retired teacher, I have decided to take a year out. I retired some while back but this is the first opportunity I have had to do something like this, being able to live off my teacher's pension. I understand that that is quite possible.
Although I don't have to, I may consider doing some private English tuition. Do u think that is a feasible proposition?
I'm also going to learn some basic Malay. And of course familiarize myself with Malay social customs.
As I said, looking forward to meeting as many of u as possible.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:28 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an observation to your post. You are moving to Penang? Well... Malay not really required though it is a nice hobby (I am learning on and off myself). Penang is majority Chinese. Everyone speaks English but you will find that the local Chinese speak Hokkien Chinese. Have fun on your trip