British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Places to visit with the intention of staying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/places-visit-intention-staying-705751/)

maxwellreid Feb 17th 2011 5:49 am

Places to visit with the intention of staying

I will be in Malaysia in mid March and I was looking to visit as many towns that might fit what I want. I am looking at somewhere I can walk out the front door and be in/close to the town centre. I like the mundane activities, ie I can enjoy walking through a small alley way market more than visiting a temple.
I can see this sort of Q has been asked. However, I do not want to be in the suburbs with families etc, Reading through the posts, I can see that Ipoh/Georgetown/johor Bahru/Kuching might be interesting. However, the small towns are also interesting, Mersing, Taiping. I have been to KL and Penang and Malacca and can see their attractions Any places that I might look at? I plan to visit Ipoh, Taiping, Mersing but any other recommendations would be appreciated. An extra bonus would be:
A handy swimming pool (public/private) would be nice
a reliable and fast internet connection.
reasonable access to an airport
ok sort of weather Nov-Feb (temperature and humidity not soaring)

Max

bakedbean Feb 17th 2011 8:31 am

Re: Places to visit with the intention of staying

Hi Maxwell,

I was going to suggest Penang but see you have already been here. A lot of people like Melaka too. I've only been living here 6 months so I'm a kinda Newbie myself and not visited everywhere.

Weatherwise... well Malaysia is hot and humid I guess but you do get used to it. November to February: avoid East Coast of the mainland as you'll get the North-East monsoon with heavy rains, but you probably already know that.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will be along any moment.

columbine Feb 18th 2011 3:42 am

What about the mainland side of Penang and south border on Kedah or Perak, some really smallish towns like Bukit Mertajam, Kulim, Juru, Simpang Empat, Sungai Petani, Alor Sitar, Tapah...?
Even on the island of Penang there are little town that are bursting with activities eg AyerItam that has a big wet market, close to the Kek Lok Si and Ayer Itam Dam, lots of interesting nooks around; or South of the island around Batu Uban, Relau, areas.

stranded traveller Feb 19th 2011 1:37 pm

Come one guys,
let him have a new place to visit, instead Penang or Ipoh or Malacca,
I'm strongly suggest you to visit in East Coast..Pahang( Taman Negara) you would love it,with long boat...awesome!if you are nature type;)

then, from Taman Negara, you can heading to Cameron Highlands..if you love green ..fantastic...

also if you would like to relax somewhere around the beach..Terengganu is the best place..and you won't regret! compare than Penang or Malacca..the beach it's not nice at all...

if there any you needs, kindly PM me..I'm definetly will help as much I could mate!!:thumbsup:

and enjoying your stay...in Malaysia!

Fiza

bakedbean Feb 20th 2011 7:53 am

Originally Posted by stranded traveller (Post 9187548)
Terengganu is the best place..

Fiza

And what are the pubs like in Terengganu? Any good ones?

bakedbean Feb 20th 2011 8:01 am

Originally Posted by stranded traveller (Post 9187548)
you can heading to Cameron Highlands..if you love green ..fantastic...

Fiza

You seem to have a fixation with Cameron Highlands. You're not selling anything, are you?

stranded traveller Feb 21st 2011 12:32 am

Bakedbean,
come on...
I might have different taste than you, that for sure:)
For holiday the places I has suggested might good for him, instead living ..

So, I'm not in his shoes, and I believed KL so much to offer instead Malacca ,Johor or Penang...

Penang mostly nice place to stay for holiday or retired or MH2 program, I don't find that interest me to live there eventhough my dad hometown its originally from..might some history still freaking me out thought..sorry about that since you're retired in Penang,

Hope my message doesn't offend anyone

bakedbean Feb 21st 2011 1:37 am

Yes I think we have different opinions - no problem for me - but I think you have to be realistic when throwing information at those wanting recommendations. Try reading carefully Maxwell's first post on here. He wants to be able to walk out straight into town centre. He's not asking for a remote beach or a remote hill station.

I think Columbine's suggestions are good ones. I like Air Hitam too. It's not so touristy but it's got a nice hustle and bustle to the place and nice hilly backdrop. And I would guess it's about 20 to 30 minutes to Penang International Airport.

And shall we get a little bit realistic here? And if this offends you, I too apologise. I've not been to the East coast yet, but friends of mine did last week, and they said it was very difficult to get a drink in some places. Obviously I don't know what race or persuasion Maxwell is, and it's none of my business either, but I've noted in Penang that most Aussies do enjoy a beer or three, and so do I, so this may be something to consider - especially as Maxwell has the intention of staying in the future (see Topic title). Clearly if you are not bothered about drinking alcohol or having a 5am wakeup call, then this may be a great location to live. We are all different, aren't we - and the World would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things, right?

And, noted Stranded, that you don't answer my two questions either :sneaky:

ex reg Feb 21st 2011 4:15 am

We haven't been to the east coast for some time now.
I like it, my wife doesn't.
She didn't like Mersing because the hotels weren't up to scratch, she isn't looking for international class hotels btw.
I like Kuantan, it's slow but interesting.
I want to drive up to Trengannu but it's a long way.
There's an annual round of an international yacht race held there so hotels etc should be up to scratch.
I wouldn't recommend JB to the OP, he'll be disappointed although having worked and lived there I quite like it.

Oh and I've never found it difficult to buy beer anywhere in Malaysia.

nonthaburi Feb 21st 2011 5:34 am

How much is a beer in Malaysia these days ?

columbine Feb 21st 2011 6:48 am

Originally Posted by maxwellreid (Post 9182077)
..... and I was looking to visit as many towns that might fit what I want. I am looking at somewhere I can walk out the front door and be in/close to the town centre. I like the mundane activities, ie I can enjoy walking through a small alley way market more than visiting a temple.
I can see this sort of Q has been asked. However, I do not want to be in the suburbs with families etc, Reading through the posts, I can see that Ipoh/Georgetown/johor Bahru/Kuching might be interesting. However, the small towns are also interesting, Mersing, Taiping. I have been to KL and Penang and Malacca and can see their attractions Any places that I might look at? I plan to visit Ipoh, Taiping, Mersing but any other recommendations would be appreciated. An extra bonus would be:
A handy swimming pool (public/private) would be nice
a reliable and fast internet connection.

reasonable access to an airport
ok sort of weather Nov-Feb (temperature and humidity not soaring)

Max

In agreement with Bakedbean. We on the forum can only try to be helpful by answering accordingly or as close as we can to the different "wants and "do not wants" of writer Max and not to what we personally want or not want.
Suggestions are for mere references to and there is no absolute ;)

ex reg Feb 21st 2011 7:14 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 9190572)

7 to 8 ringgit for a small bottle 14 to 16 ringgit for a large bottle.

Or more.

stranded traveller Feb 21st 2011 7:46 am

His dissapear..am I freaking him out?:rofl:

bakedbean Feb 22nd 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 9190572)

A bit more expensive than Thailand unfortunately :( Wine prices are on a par with Thailand more or less.

stranded traveller Feb 23rd 2011 2:58 am

Thailand always the best place to get a few beer with some chicks:thumbup: