Pets in penang

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Sw49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pets in penang

Hi this is the first time on this forum for me , we are currently investigating a move to Penang, at first we will visit for a holiday and then if all is well will rent for a time before purchasing.
We have an oldish cat and wonder are there any restrictions on a rental condo in respect of the cat, we have read that it may not be possible, we feel that we would like a condo as we would appreciate the opportunity of meeting people and don't want to be isolated in a house.
Any feedback would be appreciated, also what are the boarding facilities like, is it possible to board the cat safely.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 12:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets in penang

Hi SW and welcome to BE. Officially pets are not allowed in condos. However, you will find that in reality there are loads of pets. You just have to keep a bit quiet about it. At least that is what everyone does and people tend to turn a blind eye.

I don't keep pets myself but personally think that cats are no problem.

We moved into a new condo unit about 6 months ago and there's the usual No Pets clause in our S&P contract. Not long after moving in, we noticed our Japanese neighbour carrying a very large dog into the lifts We've never heard the dog so not really a problem as far as we are concerned.

Are you planning to retire to Penang, or working there?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

We are researching the possibility of retiring in Penang at present we re in Spain
And before that panama, the weather in panama is similar to Penang and at the moment we are suffering with the winters in Spain. We are finding the colder winters not so good and we would like to explore a different culture, food etc.
And from what we have read so far it sounds pretty good, we plan to take a holiday hopefully in the next few months in order to explore our options, health care, condo prices, food prices and other expenses and generally get a feel for the place, but we were concerned about the facilities for our much loved cat he has been to panama and back with us and is a part of our family. Thank you for your feedback and any other tips would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:43 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

All the best with your planning. I have been in Penang 18 months now and just love it.... but everyone is different and you need to check out for yourself and see if it has the "home" factor
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks have been avidly reading forum and you seem very happy and knowledgeable about Penang, we were in panama for four years and on and off in Spain for eight years so we are used to living abroad, but as you say it is best to visit first and then if we like we will rent if possible and see how we get on then see where we are from then, hope our paths cross some day
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:16 pm

Let me know if you have a trip planned as there's a group of MM2Hers that meet up monthly (or bi-monthly) in Penang and can point you in the right direction.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Laurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really nice

Hello. We are looking to retire to Penang in a year or so on the MM2H program and we have a Golden labrador who has to come with us.

We will be buying a property so can you please tell me if the same rules regarding animals apply in this case.

We are currently living in Bali Indonesia.

I'm coming to Penang next week to look at properties to buy, we do like the condominiums but I fear we might need to buy a house to accommodate our pooch.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:48 am

Hi Laurie and Sue and to BE.

I think you're probably going to be pushing it a bit with a large dog in a condo. Sounds like you might need a house.

Interesting that you are in Bali currently, as there's been a thread going in the Indonesia forum about the new-ish retirement options in Indonesia
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Laurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really niceLaurie and Sue is just really nice

Thanks for that info Baked Bean. I'll pop over to the Indonesian thread and see if I can add any advice from my perspective. We've been living in Bali for 12 years now and feel the need for a change.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

@SW49 Interesting, I was only really contemplating one other place before I came here. Panama. From the research I did I just didn't think it offered all I was looking for. Outside of Panama City I got the impression it was a bit 'ne horse town'. One extreme to another.

Must admit I like the 'summer all year' climate of this part of the world. Wherever I looked in Europe, the interest was always tempered with a look at the max/min temps over the course of a year!!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Laurie and Sue
Thanks for that info Baked Bean. I'll pop over to the Indonesian thread and see if I can add any advice from my perspective. We've been living in Bali for 12 years now and feel the need for a change.
Oh please do. Poor ol' Davita is trying to bump along the thread singlehandedly at the moment.