Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Penang regular meetups for mm2hers and newbies

Penang regular meetups for mm2hers and newbies

Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang regular meetups for mm2hers and newbies

Originally Posted by steveMY
Hi Lisa and John,

also welcome to the forum from my side. I'am sorry that nobody went to today's meetup. I know a couple, who was arriving today at 2.30pm but probably they missed you by minutes. I'm not the organizer, I was only asked to insert the meetings in this forum. In other words, there is no organisazer, but usually there are enough nice people to meet. For some the location in Batu Ferringhi is maybe too expensive, others prefer the macan at 7pm because of time reasons.

So if it is convenient for you to join the macan in two weeks, feel free to come. We are normally sitting near the bar were you can order the drinks - right in the back.

So hopefully this was a "one-off event". You can be sure, all mm2hers or locals I know and meet are nice and helpful.

Cheers Steve

I also sent you a pm
I know it will be of no comfort to John and Lisa, but I attended my first (and so far only) meetup at Batu Ferringhi a few months ago, and there were around 12-15 people there. When I arrived I was a bit confused as to exactly where the meetup was being held, as the Ferringhi Coffee Garden has both an outside garden and an inside area. Do you know in which of these two the meetups are held? On the day I went it was raining and so the meeting was indoors (accompanied by very loud background music), but I wondering whether if it is not raining, the meetups are held in the garden?

I can also vouch for the high coffee prices. I paid the same price as John and Lisa for a cappucchino.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

steveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond repute

@teejaydee

usually the meetups are held inside because of AC. But it should not be difficult to find out, where the group meets. When we joined first time, we also did not know where to go in- or outside, but we asked and quickly found out.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:07 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall it was Scott who chose the Ferringi coffee garden as it was convenient for him and, as we all know, he has vanished into thin air.

If nobody is now organizing the coffee meetups then maybe best to abandon them and just stick with the Makan evenings? They're more fun anyway and more central location for everyone. And you can move around a lot at Viva so, if you get stuck next to some boring old expat, easy to move

And maybe lets just start a Makan topic for each one on here and give it a good bump on here and on Facebook and get Back to Basics.

What do you think SteveMY ? And you're getting a bit lumbered with dates. Make life easy.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

steveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond reputesteveMY has a reputation beyond repute

@bakedbean, for us Viva at 7pm is more convenient.
Let's wait for reactions from the others and decide together what to do then.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and are will be in Penang next Tuesday for a month and were planning to attend both the Makan in January and the Meetup in February. So if anyone else is interested there will be at least two people at the Coffee Garden hoping to meet some of you.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

MM2H MAKAN MEETUPS every 4th Tuesday/ month at Viva Foodcourt, Tanjung Tokong, 7pm.
Venue is located between the Chinese Swimming Club and Hotel Sentral (previously named the Naza Talyya Hotel). We are normally sitting near the bar were you can order the drinks - right in the back.

to avoid losing the track

Next MAKAN meetup on Tuesday is January 27th 2015

Last edited by steveMY; Jan 13th 2015 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 6:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveMY
@bakedbean, for us Viva at 7pm is more convenient.
Let's wait for reactions from the others and decide together what to do then.
Okey dokey.

Was talking with someone else yesterday and was reminded that one of the "leading lights" of the PSG (Penang Support Group) is heading back to Penang permanently very shortly, so shall also await his input.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
..."leading lights"...
Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:15 pm
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Was talking with someone else yesterday and was reminded that one of the "leading lights" of the PSG (Penang Support Group) is heading back to Penang permanently very shortly, so shall also await his input.
Who's that then?
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools
Who's that then?
George Clooney
Old Jan 28th 2015, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_Lisa
Well, that was a fascinating meet up! Apart from the two of us there was a lone American and two Japanese tourists. We waited until 2.25 but unless you guys were in a private room it looks like it was a no show. Pity! However we did learn never to order a double espresso because they charge RM 13.80 each! At least they do it with a smile...
We went along to the Meetup last night. Got there at 18:59 and found two other bemused looking couples. One couple had been once before about 4.5 months ago and for the other couple it was their first time. That was it. Quite some time later (after 20:00) I noticed another group of Europeans sitting around chatting. I guess that must be the regulars as another post from KoLF clearly shows you were there.

Come on guys, you all know who you are but you need to help the newbies.

The six of us have all agreed to go to the next coffee meeting and we would like to meet you.

Last edited by NeonHippy; Jan 28th 2015 at 12:19 am. Reason: correct the predictive text spelling errors
Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:04 am
Just Joined

8888riviera is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neonhippy
Yes we were there last night and were expecting to meet up with the newbies and welcome them to our meetings. We did wonder where you were and had a look around and did see a few other caucasian couples in the food court. When we first arrived to the makan meetups a couple of years ago we just ask and make ourselves known to the group. You will have to take the plunge and introduce yourselves and the mm2hers are a good friendly crowd and will always welcome any newbies, just do not be shy !
If you would like to meet up just sent us a PM message to meet up. Some of the mm2hers are often travelling around the region and are not always present at the meetups.
We are in a similar situation and are at present in Penang till mid Feb. Do not be disheartened and hope to meet up with the newbies and welcome them to Penang.
All the best for now and enjoy your stay in Penang.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

@ NeonHippy

I'm sorry to hear that you did not find us. We also arrived there shortly before 7pm.
To make it clear I added in the text "We are normally sitting near the bar were you can order the drinks - right in the back." http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay.../#post11532482

We were the first couple, after some minutes some others came. Is was a nice and funny evening.

We were also talking about the newbies who wanted to join us. I can really not understand why you did not find us. Why did you not just ask around.

I do not know how to improve the announcement. So please never give up hope and if in doubt, just ask. We did the same before our first meeting and were succesfull.

Once more sorry for that.

Last edited by steveMY; Jan 28th 2015 at 5:20 am.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

@SteveMY, I think the confusion is mine. I thought you were refering to the Ferringhi Gardens when you said you were near the bar. I'll be gone before the next makkan but at least we know where to look when we get back. I'll also be sure to let the others know when we meet them next. walking up and saying hello isn't a problem but by the time we saw you we were just about to leave.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi @SteveMY, we went over to Batu Ferringhi this morning to check out the location of b-f coffee garden. Found it with ease thanks to you directions. It is quite large and certainly the small section that was open was behind a high hedge. It is easy to see we could miss each other again. Is there any particular area where you guys tend to congregate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.