Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Penang Registering an imported car.

Penang Registering an imported car.

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:39 am

KAPPA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Penang Registering an imported car.

Am arriving in Penang end of this week. Anyone know the steps to getting it licensed and legal? Insurance, Inspections? Which to do first and where to go? Estimated costs?
And please , can anyone recommend an insurance company?

Thanks in advance,
K
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Registering an imported car.

Do you have the MM2H visa? If so the government website might be helpful.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:25 am

Yes I have the visa already
Well searches come up with agent sites, or other forums. DO you have a link, please? My old MMSH link no longer loads.

Someone who has done this can answer I don't think it wil be on any gov website.
Any idea on why ALLO Expat has no way to register and use the forums? Any other forums re penang?
http://www.my2home.info/index.php/board,16.0.html is kinda lean on responses
Thanks again
K

Last edited by KAPPA; Jun 22nd 2011 at 6:35 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Well someone's got to say it and most if not all on here are too good mannered to.

But you seem to be moving to Penang lock stock and barrel without having done your homework and leaving things until the last minute hoping in the same way as Mr Micawber that something will turn up.

Hope it all works for you.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:45 am

Not moving yet. Without getting into personal specific details I simply
won't be ready to move until 4 months at the soonest. I'm just in for a couple of weeks getting tasks done, getting a break from my work and need some basic info on what to do first?

So please anyone,
Does insurance need a tag first, or does a tag require insurance first. Thisis the kind of info someone who lives there might know.
I am getting on forums today Wednesday so on next Monday the day I have alloted ( and Tues too..? ) can be spent getting this particular task done Stars willing.
K
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked at the government website here, and on the Car Purchase/Import page which is here http://www.mm2h.gov.my/incentive2.php and it says

Application to IMPORT a motorcar from the participant’s country of citizenship/last domicile must be forwarded to the Ministry of Finance within a period of six months from the endorsement date of Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) social visit pass. The condition for such importation is that the MM2H participant should be the owner of the motorcar prior to obtaining the MM2H visa, as evidenced in the motorcar registration document."]Application to IMPORT a motorcar from the participant’s country of citizenship/last domicile must be forwarded to the Ministry of Finance within a period of six months from the endorsement date of Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) social visit pass. The condition for such importation is that the MM2H participant should be the owner of the motorcar prior to obtaining the MM2H visa, as evidenced in the motorcar registration document.
unquote

which sounds like you've missed the boat for tax free import. It might be worth talking to a MM2H agent in Penang and see if they can pull a few strings. Just a thought.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:45 am

You might also take a look at the Vehicle Related section on my2home here

http://www.my2home.info/index.php/board,14.0.html

I saw that your link went to a different section of that board. I know, I know, believe me, when you're in a hurry for info, not always easy navigating around forums. Have a good look - plenty of threads on importing cars. best of luck.

Last edited by bakedbean; Jun 23rd 2011 at 9:47 am.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:23 am

Default I have the Exemption already

Thank you Ms. Bean for your very nice response and help with the link .

I already have the MMSH tax exemption etc . from Ministy Finance , long story on why it is so long after getting the visa, but I have all the current documents I need and would like to add MMSH is a model of helpful government agencies.

I was just trying to find out the physical procedure, and Penang location for registering the car, tags, insurance recommendation, inspections needed ( ? ) and such.

I am in Penang today and the Trader's Hotel staff are very helpful so hopefully on Monday I can begin to get this done.

Thanks again,
K

Last edited by KAPPA; Jun 25th 2011 at 3:46 am.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by ex reg
Well someone's got to say it and most if not all on here are too good mannered to.

But you seem to be moving to Penang lock stock and barrel without having done your homework and leaving things until the last minute hoping in the same way as Mr Micawber that something will turn up.

Hope it all works for you.
Ex Reg I am asking for simple info about how / where to register a car in Penang.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:05 am

Default Re: I have the Exemption already

Originally Posted by KAPPA
Thank you Ms. Bean for your very nice response and help with the link .
Oh sama sama

I suspect (but not 100pc sure so you'll have to check) that you may have to go over to JPJ in Butterworth. Website for JPJ is http://jpj.my/

Coincidentally, we were over there last week getting our Malaysian driving licences. Just to warn you, if you go over there, they are not always up to speed with procedures. We had to tell them how to convert our Thai driving licences to Malaysian ones. Just be polite and smile a lot.

Still think you may do well to get a MM2H agent to help you out (if you are short on time). It really depends if you want to pay out some money to get help. Best of luck.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:20 am

B Bean, so are you living in MY now instead of T Land?

I find dealing with MY authorities is so much easier, actually get responses to e mails.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:00 am

Yup, we moved from Thailand to Malaysia.

Phuket was a life experience, enjoyed it for a while, then gradually Thailand wore us down I think. Still have a villa there (currently) so we drive back up every couple of months or so. The funny thing is that we enjoy Thailand more now that we're not living there. I suppose it's just the fact that we can escape after a week or so.

We've been in Penang for almost one year now and still enjoying it.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 12:32 pm

I've lived on Phuket for almost 6 years and , yeah, " wear you down" is an apt description of the Thai treatment of Farang. ( I still cringe when I hear that.) The final straw was a neighbor bringing in a huge tree probably illegally felled and using a huge chain saw day after day. When I complained, he threatened to kill me !.
I spent the day today driving around the southern part of Penang, what a difference, no one stared rudely and pointed at me and I was in some very rural Muslim areas, too. I ate lunch at some roadside stall and other than some initial cursory glances, no one made me feel like an alien. I felt very comfortable ( I'm a woman, and was alone, too)
I don't see a future in Thailand for foreigners unless one is very, very wealthy which seems to be the only thing Thais care about.

Differences I've noticed between Penang/ Phuket is lack of garbage and the huge, gorgeous trees that are everywhere so I guess are protected. No mangy dogs starving either though I guess their life's end isn't very pleasant.

There is that lovely breeze that Phuket has, too and is the main reason I moved there. I guess the beaches aren't as spectacular for sure but honestly, how often do I go to the beach lately?

Last edited by KAPPA; Jun 26th 2011 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:47 am

The south, and the west of the island (which has national parkland) is a lot different to the north (where I live). Few expats and pretty quiet. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 3:03 am

Default Re: I have the Exemption already

Originally Posted by KAPPA
I am in Penang today and the Trader's Hotel staff are very helpful so hopefully on Monday I can begin to get this done.

Thanks again,
K
How did you get on? Success or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.