Reload this Page >

Penang: Questions from a total Newbie

Penang: Questions from a total Newbie

Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

TheTerran is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Penang: Questions from a total Newbie

Hello everybody,
I am planning to move to Penang permanently. I am a 31 year old man, I work offshore and I already managed to live for 5 years in Manila, Philippines during my shore leaves. I have visited Penang once and I liked it a lot.

It would really help me if you can answer my basic questions:

1.) Do you guys actually meet up physically in Penang? I won't know anybody there and I would really like to get involved with your group. How many people usually attend? What kind of stuff do you do?

2.) Can I keep entering Malaysia on a tourist visa? In Philippines I did this every time I came on shore leave (for 6 weeks). I was basically able to live in that country as a tourist by entering time and time again. Would this work (and be safe to do) in Malaysia?

3.) Are taxis safe in Penang? I will enter the country all by myself. Is it safe to just hop in a taxi and go to wherever I like in Penang? In Manila I had to take a lot of precautions and it was dodgy. Are taxis safe in Penang?

4.) Is a foreigner (on a tourist visa) legally allowed to rent an apartment in Penang?

5.) Do you all have a lawyer to ask questions to? I found it useful to have my own in the Philippines to make sure I was doing things correctly. Do you use a lawyer in Penang or is it better to have one from Kuala Lumpar?

6.) Finally, I heard that the girls are quite traditional. How traditional exactly? Do they live with their parents until marriage? Do they want to get married straight away when a relationship starts or do they wait a few years like Western women?

7.) Can you thrive in Penang with just English language? My aim would be to learn Malaysian too, but will I be able to go and buy my weekly shopping, or buy cinema tickets, with only English, for example?

Answers to these questions would be excellent. I survived Manila so my hope is that Penang will be an awesome place for me now.
Best Wishes,
Jesse ^snipped^

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Apr 6th 2016 at 8:56 am. Reason: Best not to include your full name on an open forum.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 12:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Penang: Questions from a total Newbie

Hello and welcome to the forum

That's a lot of questions. I'll put some brief answers below in red. Maybe others can join in.

Originally Posted by TheTerran
Hello everybody,
I am planning to move to Penang permanently. I am a 31 year old man, I work offshore and I already managed to live for 5 years in Manila, Philippines during my shore leaves. I have visited Penang once and I liked it a lot.

1.) Do you guys actually meet up physically in Penang? I won't know anybody there and I would really like to get involved with your group. How many people usually attend? What kind of stuff do you do?

Yes, some of us do. After a few years living here, you expand your group of friends, so you'll find others with similar interests. It's like anywhere. You make friends. You do.....whatever.

If you move here, get posting on this forum, then make some connections by PM. You need 3 posts before the PM function will work.

2.) Can I keep entering Malaysia on a tourist visa? In Philippines I did this every time I came on shore leave (for 6 weeks). I was basically able to live in that country as a tourist by entering time and time again. Would this work (and be safe to do) in Malaysia?

Officially No. Some folks get away with it. Some don't. Immigration is getting more strict.

3.) Are taxis safe in Penang? I will enter the country all by myself. Is it safe to just hop in a taxi and go to wherever I like in Penang? In Manila I had to take a lot of precautions and it was dodgy. Are taxis safe in Penang?

I have found taxis pretty safe though I have only used them from airport or hospital. I think not so easy to flag down taxis but maybe someone else can confirm. Maybe get to like buses?

4.) Is a foreigner (on a tourist visa) legally allowed to rent an apartment in Penang?

Officially No, but.....

5.) Do you all have a lawyer to ask questions to? I found it useful to have my own in the Philippines to make sure I was doing things correctly. Do you use a lawyer in Penang or is it better to have one from Kuala Lumpar?

A lawyer to do what? A lawyer will tell you the official word which is that you need a Visa to live here.

6.) Finally, I heard that the girls are quite traditional. How traditional exactly? Do they live with their parents until marriage? Do they want to get married straight away when a relationship starts or do they wait a few years like Western women?

Oh, are you looking for a wife? Very best of luck to you.

As I am female, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question. But remember that you have a variety of "locals" here. Penang is predominantly Chinese racially. You will also find Indians (Hindu or Christian or Other). You will also find Malays (Muslim).

Penang is not the backwater. Females do have their own lives much like in the West.

7.) Can you thrive in Penang with just English language? My aim would be to learn Malaysian too, but will I be able to go and buy my weekly shopping, or buy cinema tickets, with only English, for example?

Mostly everyone speaks English. There is no "Malaysian". Malay is the common language which all Malaysians will speak, but each different race speaks their own dialect. You will hear a lot of Hokkien (Chinese) amongst the Chinese. Malays speak Malay to each other. Etc....

Answers to these questions would be excellent. I survived Manila so my hope is that Penang will be an awesome place for me now.
Best Wishes,
Mr. Jesse ^snipped^

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Apr 8th 2016 at 12:57 am. Reason: Removed OP's name
Old Apr 6th 2016, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tarran and welcome
1. You haven't said which nationality you are as that will determine your time to stay in Malaysia.
2. There is a difference between Philippines and Malaysia due to previous colonisation. Philippines is more associated with the American ways and Malaysia is more British.
3. Religion also plays into this equation as Philippines is predominately Catholic whilst Malaysia is Muslim....but places like Penang, where the population are mainly Chinese, Indians and many expats, you will find Buddhusm, Hindu and Christianity in abundance.
4. As a single person I'd recommend you visit Penang or Kuala Lumpur as they are cosmopolitan cities...Penang is a resort island and has many visitors from all over the world. KL is a big city but isn't on the beach so not so useful for those wanting to be near the water.
5. Malaysian girls (Malay, Chinese, Indian, Caucasian) living outside of the villages are very cosmopolitan and much like those in any other western society...say Justin Bieber and watch them swoon... The further away from the cities you can expect a more frugal and conservative lifestyle ...particularly with the bumiputra (ethnic Malays).
6. I'd like to advise on the dating scene but at age 79 you probably don't need my advice...
However...around 1959 I spent many evenings dating beautiful girls at places like Lone Pine, smelling the frangipani...so romance is available, although these days I understand you communicate with a small gadget that is supposed to be a phone, but used more like what I used for sending morse code messages ....

I'd suggest a visit to both Penang and KL...there is a executive coach service and trains between the two cities which can give a scenic view of the countryside. You can then decide which suits you best and find accommodation to fit your budget. No need for lawyers.... just find some expats in pubs and pick their brains.

Good luck...I envy you as I'm reminded of my youth and adventurous times in Malaya and Singapore..... as they were then.

You're already 31 now so 'bon chance.'
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

Please see answers in red
Hello everybody,

1.) Do you guys actually meet up physically in Penang? I won't know anybody there and I would really like to get involved with your group. How many people usually attend? What kind of stuff do you do? There are various groups that get together, mostly based around common interests. Most of the people my wife and I know are retired so we meet up for lunch, dinner, games which is probably not your thing. If you find accomodation around Tanjong Bungah there are frequent meet ups on the beach near Infinity which I think are frequented by younger people. Certain areas of George Town have a lively bar scene.

2.) Can I keep entering Malaysia on a tourist visa? In Philippines I did this every time I came on shore leave (for 6 weeks). I was basically able to live in that country as a tourist by entering time and time again. Would this work (and be safe to do) in Malaysia? My neighbour works 30 days on and thirty days off with out any difficulty. As others have pointed out you cannot officially live here on a tourist visa but the clamp down seems to be harder on people who just do a visa run overnight rather than offshore workers

3.) Are taxis safe in Penang? I will enter the country all by myself. Is it safe to just hop in a taxi and go to wherever I like in Penang? In Manila I had to take a lot of precautions and it was dodgy. Are taxis safe in Penang? We use a taxi service and they are very safe and reliable. I cannot comment on taxis that you flag down but to get into/out of town the buses are cheap and reliable although they can get crowed at peak times.

4.) Is a foreigner (on a tourist visa) legally allowed to rent an apartment in Penang? You will find it hard to rent a permanent apartment without a long term visa. But for stays of around 6 weeks you could find somewhere using a service such as AirBnB. A number of renters advertise some quite keen monthly rates.

5.) Do you all have a lawyer to ask questions to? I found it useful to have my own in the Philippines to make sure I was doing things correctly. Do you use a lawyer in Penang or is it better to have one from Kuala Lumpar? No

7.) Can you thrive in Penang with just English language? My aim would be to learn Malaysian too, but will I be able to go and buy my weekly shopping, or buy cinema tickets, with only English, for example? There are lots of ethnic groups in Penang each with their own language or dialect. To communicate outside of their group they almost universally use english. You will not have any problems.

Best Wishes,
Mr. Jesse ^snipped^

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Apr 8th 2016 at 12:57 am. Reason: Removed OP's name
Old Apr 6th 2016, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about legally allowed, but I know quite a few people who rent furnished condos from the respective owners on a long term basis.
In Miami Green, Penang between 1800 and 2000RM for 100m2 oand one to two year contracts.
Additionally comes then the utilities and internet, etc.

As for entering and exiting MY, I know also of quite a few who do not have MM2H but work outside so they are never here more than around a month at a time, but they have Penang as a base.
But - Why not obtain a MM2H visa then?
There are some advantages like bank accounts with good interest, tax free overseas income, etc.
And the FD required gives you 3.5-4% interest as well which you can freely spend.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

We do meet up and its great when we do, but finding people with interests like your own can be difficult. If you just like a beer and some small chat then your get on fine. Any talents or opinions might not go down so well. I know I'll get shot down for saying it, but I think it is more difficult for younger people to have a full and varied life here, unless you create it for yourself. Its very based around retiring, and not in a care free Thailand way. Maybe try and get to know many of the local expat teachers.

If you want to reside in Penang permanently, then you will need some sort of long term visa. If you leave Penang for a while and come back (more than a couple of hours across the boarder) then I think that has to be OK. It would just like you having 4 or 5 holidays here each year with several weeks off somewhere else in between. Before I lived here permanently, I used to have 5 or 6 holidays each year to Penang for around 3 to 6 weeks each time. The rest of my time lived in China.

Its safe, you might get robbed by the fare they charge you if you don't know what your doing though. Its called uber taxis or get a scooter.

Not sure, but many do and I've not heard of any problems.

Its not like Thailand here, where there are many dodgy laws you don't get told about so get ripped off. Unless your going into business, I don't think you will ever need a lawyer here.

Its not like China here for sure, even thought 70% of the population look Chinese. If you want a bride in 10 mins, China, Thailand or other parts of Asia are a much better bet. Everyone plays it a lot more cool here and you will have to do some work before you get the catch. That might be fun though if that's your sort of thing. For instant gratification look else where than here.

You will get on fine with only English. People just laugh here in amazement when I try and talk to them in Cantonese and will reply in English.

I would add that you really need to come here a few times on holiday to get an idea of whats its about and if you think it could be for you. If you buy a new laptop these days you trawl though hundreds of websites of reviews to get to know whats what. If you want a hotel or restaurant then there is trip advisor. So you need to do some homework of your own to find if its for you.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

TheTerran is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everybody for your many replies, the answers are mostly very encouraging, I am British but I am worried that I don’t qualify for a MM2H long-term visa. Here are my counter-replies.

1.) I’m not interested in getting wasted drunk in all the bars. I may be 31 but I’d much prefer to play board games, card games, relax, chill, chat and just sip lightly on a beer. The occasional big celebration (once or twice a year?) is ok for me.
2.) I’m British! Yeah I’m an offshore worker usually on 35/35 day rotations. Doing that with a tourist visa sounds okay, at least to start with. I would like to get the long-term visa but I don’t think I can get any long-term visa because I won’t be working in Malaysia or employed by a Malaysian company.
3.) Transport sounds perfectly safe from your descriptions, glad to hear that. What is the name and number of your very safe taxi service?
4.) Renting an apartment/condo is another reason I want to aim for a proper long-term visa, but as mentioned above I’m worried I can’t qualify for one of those.
5.) I had a lawyer in Philippines because they are very cheap and can give useful advice on many topics and hardly costs a thing. For example, my lawyer helped me get a good deal when buying a car and he checked my condo rental agreements for anything dodgy. But if Penang is THAT safe, no worries!
6.) I’ve decided I want to try permanent living in George Town and I’m looking for a wife in-so-much that any single person is. I’m a traditional fellow myself, for example, I would much rather meet a girl at a library than a bar, do a lot of courtship and wait a few months until having sex. I’m not looking for an easy woman, I am however definitely looking for a good woman.
7.) Excellent to hear that English is good enough for Penang, that makes me happy. Wide use of English really helped me in the Philippines and I’ve been seeking a cool place with similar English proficiency.

Best Wishes,
Mr Jesse ^snipped^

Last edited by InVinoVeritas; Apr 8th 2016 at 12:56 am. Reason: Please DON'T post your full name on an open forum !!!
Old Apr 7th 2016, 11:31 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Some may disagree with me, but I wouldn't think to live in Georgetown, unless you want to do Bars and Clubbing and meet with a certain kind of lady. Others may wish to comment.

I would check out Straits Quay, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi. You'll soon mix and meet up with other expats and locals too.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 1:00 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Well Georgetown does include Gurney Drive which I think might be a good compromise for the OP.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

TheTerran,
If you would get a long term visa (except MM2H and maybe certain care takers visa) I think you may be liable for tax here.

And as I said, to privately rent an apartment for long term is easy even w/o visa.
A 'tourist' couple I know here just signed a two-year lease.

Safe taxi company, there is limousine service but you can also use the app 'grabtaxi'.
And with time you will find some drivers you can trust.
But the 'risk' involved with taxis is limited to that they will overcharge you a bit, try to avoid using the meter, etc. I haven't heard of outright robberies like in Manila.

As for lawyers or individuals giving advice, many do it due to expectations for commissions.
I would say posting your woes here on the forum would give you best answers, almost always based on own experiences.
Even if sometimes tainted with personal biases :-)

Last edited by Gunnar45; Apr 8th 2016 at 2:01 am.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

I am worried that I don’t qualify for a MM2H long-term visa.
You don't have to be over 50 to get MM2H, you can be under 50, it will just cost you more.

If you get MM2H and don't work here, well actually you will not be allowed to work here on MM2H, you will not have to pay tax on what you earn. If your job is in the UK, you will pay tax in the UK. In fact you will have to have some form of income to get MM2H. I'm not sure how it works with retiring in Penang but working in another country. Is that allowed?

But isn't it a bit too early too be thinking about MM2H, you have only been here once. I started coming to Penang in 2005 and it took 10 years for me to really know if the place was for me or not. I also had to work out if I was for the place too.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I wouldn't think to live in Georgetown, unless you want to do Bars and Clubbing and meet with a certain kind of lady.
What, a hairy one with a deep voice.

Not sure I've ever seen any Ladies in Chulia Street after 9pm ha ha.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by owned
What, a hairy one with a deep voice.

Not sure I've ever seen any Ladies in Chulia Street after 9pm ha ha.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Well Georgetown does include Gurney Drive which I think might be a good compromise for the OP.
Yes, Gurney is another option. Technically speaking, Gurney Drive falls under Pulau Tikus I believe

All these borders..... it depends who you ask. Y'know according to some I am living in Fettes Park or Tanjung Tokong or even Georgetown. It just depends. TIM.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Penang: Questions from a total Newbie

Owned,
For MM2H'ers, income derived from activities outside MY is not taxed in MY!

It is therefore perfectly OK to have a MM2H visa and work in another country, in fact it may be better to apply for the MM2H while still working abroad as the monthly income requirement would be easier to meet.
(Besides that conditions tend to change and become more stringent with time)

The MM2H visa is a right but not an obligation to stay in MY and it does (except in special cases) not allow you to work in MY.
And if you work in another country you obviously don't stay here during that time. :-)
So technically it wouldn't be allowed to do work for an overseas company from your home in MY....

To have residence in MY may also be advantageous with regard to tax obligations in your home country as some countries require proof of foreign domicile to allow their subjects to escape form their tax liabilities. I don't know how that would apply for UK though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.