Penang heritage

Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang heritage

Originally Posted by Seasider
Do you think they'd let me off signing on this week, it's a bit tricky when I'm chained by my neck to a gate outside Harvey Norman's.
Think you could call in sick after all we've all gotta have time out sometimes and considering the time spent with them I feel a degree of understanding will be forth coming....especially when pointing out non compliance on their part may result in a chaining to the leg of the office managers table........
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I think rightly or wrongly that it is a positive thing that some folk do speak up and put themselves out there regardless of what my own personal view of their issue may be.
In an age of such indifference to anything not material or folk who only have an interest in monetary gain folk that question the status quo is no bad thing at all.
Quite agree IF they are genuine. Unfortunately a significant number merely hide behind 'the cause' and use it as an excuse for lawless behaviour, rioting and generally having a go against the society they are MORE than happy to scrounge from without contributing anything to it. If it wasn't this cause they'd nail their 'colours' to another one, much to the detriment of those with genuine belief, commitment and concern.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:43 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

What a load of complete tosh some of you are spouting. I've never been on the dole in my life. I've never done anything illegal - yet but I certainly stand up and speak out for what I believe in.

I'm no scientist, I have to research and believe what I will of what others tell me, but the destruction of an area of the world I love very much is one thing I have, and will continue, to campaign against.

The livelihoods of the workers are not something I discount, I assure you, in fact I've asked some very awkward questions about the subject.

I recommend you do too, instead of simply slagging off people who care enough about the state of the world around them to get off their arses and try to do something about it.

So, about that Penang heritage...put me down for a shophouse, please.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla
Quite agree IF they are genuine. Unfortunately a significant number merely hide behind 'the cause' and use it as an excuse for lawless behaviour, rioting and generally having a go against the society they are MORE than happy to scrounge from without contributing anything to it. If it wasn't this cause they'd nail their 'colours' to another one, much to the detriment of those with genuine belief, commitment and concern.
I'm more concerned about those that are doing serious damage to our economies and expecting the public purse to bail them out.
They contribute little but cost plenty and behave like they are above the law and the rest of us.
Much too much blame in my opinion directed at those on the margins whether on the dole or not and not enough anger towards those that have got a lot of the Western world in such a mess while our cuts in services and taxation attempts to put it right.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:57 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Really getting off subject...but....regards trees....1/ stop listening to semi educated know it all tree huggers and their even less educated media mouth pieces. 2/ Ever since time began loggers selectivly logged the trees they need and cleared to allow younger and regrowth trees to grow. 3/ only clear fell farmed trees.

On subject more, I fail to see a problem with some old shophouses being made into boutique hotels as long as the integrity of the old buildings remain. Nothing stays the same forever and even in old days shops usage changed, so why not now?
Ya, don't worry about it, can always get Admin or Moderators to change the title of thread. Nothing actually in the Site Rules to say you cannot go Off Topic. I think it's a great discussion actually.

Talking of boutique hotels, I like the look of that one down Burmah Road. Is it called 1926 or something? I'll go do a google later. That's nicely done in my opinion.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ya, don't worry about it, can always get Admin or Moderators to change the title of thread. Nothing actually in the Site Rules to say you cannot go Off Topic. I think it's a great discussion actually.

Talking of boutique hotels, I like the look of that one down Burmah Road. Is it called 1926 or something? I'll go do a google later. That's nicely done in my opinion.
What's the Bagan restaurant like these days.
It used to be very good, but not much so these days.
Nicely done up inside but as usual the outside is left to get on with itself.

And of course that KFC in that very large bungalow looks very nice from the outside.
Haven't been inside but we had a KFC about 5 years ago so it's still a bit before we have our next one.

I may have lit the blue touch paper above but hoping to apply a bit of dampening now.

Last edited by ex reg; Sep 5th 2011 at 9:07 am.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think the powers that be should consider carefully just what sort of centre they desire. Ok let's have a couple of Boutique hotels if we must but let's be creative and seek out ways that the area can be of use too as many of the folk actually living on the island as possible and not just create some sterile,if rather pleasing to look at buildings aimed more at tourists and the well heeled.

As I have noted on other posts George Town during my past visits and I haven't been there since end of 04 had certainly lost a lot of the vibe and activity that was so evident in the eighties.
I take this to be a result in part to the depopulation of the inner city and moving folk out into high rises. Expect this was working up towards being a heritage city.
Well something has to explain the lack of people around. In earlier times the men would sit around "taking the air" in their hundreds and many more would parade up and down Penang Road.

I found some similarity when in Malta last year. Valletta, a simply beautiful city for those unaware of the place, has like George Town been declared a World Heritage City. Totally deserving and in my view there are few cities that could compete with Valletta,but and here's a big but,whole swathes of population have been moved out in parts into flats out of the city while money is being spent beautifing all those vacant apartments with the hope to attract rich no doubt,the life in a lot of those alleys has disappeared.
i got to know a few' patrons' running small cafes and restaurants in these central areas and they informed me business was so bad owing to the population being moved out that before long they would shut down as would be impossible for financial reasons to continue.

More long standing traditions being lost and replaced with what? Something that is identical to everywhere else.
Isn't globalisation wonderful?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
What's the Bagan restaurant like these days.
It used to be very good, but not much so these days.
Nicely done up inside but as usual the outside is left to get on with itself.
Are you asking me?? If you're talking about the Bagan in Tg Tokong, I've never been in there, though drive past many times. Someone told me recently that it's now a Gay Club, but don't actually know for sure if that's correct. Someone/anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The KFC building. I think I've seen that. Makes me want to groan. I think all KFCs, Macdonalds and the like should be banned from Penang. Why eat that crap when there's so much nice food here?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour

As I have noted on other posts George Town during my past visits and I haven't been there since end of 04 had certainly lost a lot of the vibe and activity that was so evident in the eighties.
Maybe you need to take a trip and see what you think.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you asking me?? If you're talking about the Bagan in Tg Tokong, I've never been in there, though drive past many times. Someone told me recently that it's now a Gay Club, but don't actually know for sure if that's correct. Someone/anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The KFC building. I think I've seen that. Makes me want to groan. I think all KFCs, Macdonalds and the like should be banned from Penang. Why eat that crap when there's so much nice food /?
I was residing in GeorgeTown when the first Macdonalds opened. I still recall sitting in a Chinese eating house when one of the girls working there brought the other girl a Big Mac burger. She took a bite screwed her eyes up and threw it in the bin. Doubt if the modern kids of Penang would be as smart.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

The KFC building. I think I've seen that. Makes me want to groan. I think all KFCs, Macdonalds and the like should be banned from Penang. Why eat that crap when there's so much nice food here?
Might be.
It always tended that way as a restaurant but the food was very good.
Local as well as Italian cuisine although we only ever ate the Italian even though the local food there looked very nice.
Good range of wines as well even if a bit on the expensive side.
Last time we were in Penang we couldn't contact the Bagan by phone to book so took a chance and drove there but when we got there the place was closed so maybe undergoing a reno/sex change.
Undoubtedly we'll try it again next time we are there.
Just remembered they also used to have some jazz instrumentalists perform later on in the evenings. Very good they were too.

In Singapore these days McDs and KFC are always full of school kids.
Where they get the money from to continually eat that food amazes me.
Parents, huh.

Oops don't want to start another 'discussion'.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Oops don't want to start another 'discussion'.
You keep mentioning that, are you baiting me?

I often wondered the same thing. Even making one moccochinofrappecaramellattewhateveritscalleditall tastescrap last all afternoon, between six, would have been beyond me when I was at school. Although in my days there was only the Wimpy Bar.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Seasider
You keep mentioning that, are you baiting me?
You're paranoid you are
I often wondered the same thing. Even making one moccochinofrappecaramellattewhateveritscalleditall tastescrap last all afternoon, between six, would have been beyond me when I was at school. Although in my days there was only the Wimpy Bar.
Aaaahhhh Wimpeys.
Lush.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Bagan is not a gay club per se. It has however, of late (e.g. last 2-3 months), attracted a gay crowd on Saturday night following some activity at their previous 'hot-spot'. Bagan is still very good but, like many places populated by folks who have to work for a living, it can be very quiet early in the week. The 3 piece band plays there Thurs, Friday and Saturday with some very good jazz/blues singers (Rozz, Soo Ong and Dasha Logan) providing most of the live entertainment. The DJ does sessions in between and, having done the European dance circuit, is a very god DJ. The chef there has just changed too and the menu is very good with a wide range of well priced Nyonya and fine dining cuisine.

Bagan will however close it doors at the current location at the end of this month as it will shortly relocate to a location closer to Georgetown. The exact 'recipe' for the new Bagan is yet to be determined.

Update ends
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Atilla.

When they've moved can you post the new address.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.