British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Penang heritage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/penang-heritage-730994/)

ex reg Sep 3rd 2011 12:36 pm

Penang heritage

Any thoughts on this?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-14529901

bakedbean Sep 4th 2011 9:41 am

Re: Penang heritage

I'm not clear what she's on about. The article is flitting about all over the show IMHO. And this is a BBC correspondent... the very same BBC that is based in this region in Singapore.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The tone is very negative from the start "George Town residents struggle to redefine Malaysian heritage". Dunno... load of ol' claptrap I reckon. I saw on BBC World the other night that there's going to be a programme on Georgetown showing over the weekend. Probably more of the same I suppose. Much prefer Aljazeera to the BBC these days. Far better reporting IMO.

The swiftlet problem is another matter entirely and not just around Georgetown either. It's big bucks apparently. That's a difficult one. People pay a lot of money to eat bird saliva :unsure::( Do you go for the money or not? I don't know the answer.

ex reg Sep 4th 2011 11:51 am

The article isn't very good and it's a bit like all articles looking from the outside in.
You shouldn't do this you shouldn't do that, this is how you should run this, don't let people do that etc etc without putting forward real alternatives, because if you stop lots of things that locals make money out of then if there is no alternative they starve.

A bug bear of mine is the anti logging brigade.
Multi Nationals may make the most out of it but locals are also able to bring up families and give them some sort of education because of the income they earn from it, legal or illegal.
The anti loggers seem to me to want to stop it and don't put forward a means for the locals to earn money from.
Yeah we need forests but locals need to live.
Ditto the anti slash and burners.
If locals can't plant crops then they starve.

Ditto rhino horn etc etc.

Ditto poppy growers although because of the end result I have less sympathy for them but all the above need to put food on the table for their families and if they have no alternatives ...

Always two sides to an argument but until alternatives are put forward then I'm with the locals.

I know many will disagree with me so sorry to bring this up and I've had a liquid afternoon.

Strider24 Sep 4th 2011 12:25 pm

No mention of the real polution of bird hotels...noise. Speakers blasting out swift recordings endlessly.

Agree with ex reg on trees. These semi educated, left wing, tree hugging, dole cheating,useless, self appointed brother minders.....forget trees not only regrow, but grow much faster the more CO2 is increased. I lived in an area of Australia for some time, that had been selectivly logged for over 150 years successfully and without damage to the forest, animals or anything else. Once the left leaning, child abuse (stick kids on tripods way in the air to stop loggers) idiots got into power, they decreed that any logging would be clear fell, licences given to cronies and the non supporting 27 other mills in the area all lost their jobs.

On poppies though, an ex PM of NZ once introduced flower farming as an alternative and with some success, however as with most good ideas that does not involve throwing huge sums of money at useless causes, it was not supported but those who spend other peoples money.

bakedbean Sep 4th 2011 1:07 pm

Gawd bless ya both :thumbup: the logging n burning stuff what's the real solution then,'do you think guys?

Strider24 Sep 4th 2011 2:29 pm

Really getting off subject...but....regards trees....1/ stop listening to semi educated know it all tree huggers and their even less educated media mouth pieces. 2/ Ever since time began loggers selectivly logged the trees they need and cleared to allow younger and regrowth trees to grow. 3/ only clear fell farmed trees.

On subject more, I fail to see a problem with some old shophouses being made into boutique hotels as long as the integrity of the old buildings remain. Nothing stays the same forever and even in old days shops usage changed, so why not now?

the troubadour Sep 5th 2011 2:20 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9599618)
The article isn't very good and it's a bit like all articles looking from the outside in.
You shouldn't do this you shouldn't do that, this is how you should run this, don't let people do that etc etc without putting forward real alternatives, because if you stop lots of things that locals make money out of then if there is no alternative they starve.

A bug bear of mine is the anti logging brigade.
Multi Nationals may make the most out of it but locals are also able to bring up families and give them some sort of education because of the income they earn from it, legal or illegal.
The anti loggers seem to me to want to stop it and don't put forward a means for the locals to earn money from.
Yeah we need forests but locals need to live.
Ditto the anti slash and burners.
If locals can't plant crops then they starve.

Ditto rhino horn etc etc.

Ditto poppy growers although because of the end result I have less sympathy for them but all the above need to put food on the table for their families and if they have no alternatives ...

Always two sides to an argument but until alternatives are put forward then I'm with the locals.

I know many will disagree with me so sorry to bring this up and I've had a liquid afternoon.

Couldn't disagree more especially with regards to the destruction of Malaysian rainforests.
Your argument actually applies in reverse. The locals are the ones protesting in the forests against the powerful logging and palm oil concerns.
The people of the forest lose their means of survival with the deforestation that results.
This has been a big problem for many decades in the rain forests of Sabah and Sarawak where the resulting destruction has seriously impacted on the ability of the Iban, Dayaks and Orang Asli to being able to sustain their traditional lives.
With the loss of trees hunting becomes difficult with the resulting reduction of animals and birds.
Rattan becomes hard to find to build roofs. Earth becomes eroded.
And it is all in the name of profit. Once the loggers have cleared the area they move on to exploit another area. So the idea about creating jobs is at best short term.

Are you aware that 70% of primary rain forest has already been felled? Not sure the total percentage on Peninsula Malaysia but it is very substantial taking into account all the palm oil growing there.
Logging companies have tried with little success to buy the people. It is good to see that some people such as the Iban in Sarawak refused to accept money and stood by their principles a rather rare event in todays world.

Are you seriously suggesting that there is nothing wrong with taking rhino horn???

Atilla Sep 5th 2011 2:22 am

Have to agree with much of what is said here. I'm all for saving the environment etc., just not the particular brand of it that the anarchist oiks who just currently find it a useful 'initiative' to 'pin their colours to' peddle (note that their revulsion at the workings of the world generally doesn't prevent them from sponging from it at each and every opportunity - they are highly selective in their consideration of what does / should apply to them, laws included) :frown:. Problem is, esp where there is poverty and a living needing to be made, alternatives are needed not just the mindless bleating of stop, stop, stop. Those alternatives may not be easy to find but until they are I think the rhetoric achieves little. The problem is ensuring that all the players are looking for the alternatives and the profiteers, mostly, won't be.

With the conversion of shop houses and such like, unless in some cases countries / charities have a LOT of money to be thrown at some of these heritage sites (not just here), conversion to modern use is very good way of ensuring they persevere and not just fall to rack and ruin :thumbup:

the troubadour Sep 5th 2011 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9599656)
No mention of the real polution of bird hotels...noise. Speakers blasting out swift recordings endlessly.

Agree with ex reg on trees. These semi educated, left wing, tree hugging, dole cheating,useless, self appointed brother minders.....forget trees not only regrow, but grow much faster the more CO2 is increased. I lived in an area of Australia for some time, that had been selectivly logged for over 150 years successfully and without damage to the forest, animals or anything else. Once the left leaning, child abuse (stick kids on tripods way in the air to stop loggers) idiots got into power, they decreed that any logging would be clear fell, licences given to cronies and the non supporting 27 other mills in the area all lost their jobs.

On poppies though, an ex PM of NZ once introduced flower farming as an alternative and with some success, however as with most good ideas that does not involve throwing huge sums of money at useless causes, it was not supported but those who spend other peoples money.

I think the issue here is the deforestation of very large areas of SE Asia as well as on some of the Islands.
Is of little to no benefit to anyone but those making money from such destructive methods.Namely Logging and Palm Oil concerns and Government.

the troubadour Sep 5th 2011 2:32 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9599722)
Gawd bless ya both :thumbup: the logging n burning stuff what's the real solution then,'do you think guys?

Well put it this way,I don't think that smoke pollution experienced over parts of Malaysia over fairly recent years courtesy of the loggers in Kallimintan will dissipate any time soon. At least not while trees remain standing.

the troubadour Sep 5th 2011 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9599844)
Really getting off subject...but....regards trees....1/ stop listening to semi educated know it all tree huggers and their even less educated media mouth pieces. 2/ Ever since time began loggers selectivly logged the trees they need and cleared to allow younger and regrowth trees to grow. 3/ only clear fell farmed trees.

On subject more, I fail to see a problem with some old shophouses being made into boutique hotels as long as the integrity of the old buildings remain. Nothing stays the same forever and even in old days shops usage changed, so why not now?

Simply not true. Logging companies are paying of governments or working hand in hand with them to exploit forests.
Take a look at PNG or Solomon Islands for staters. Not forgetting as I earlier noted in that 70% of East Malaysia states (Sabah & Sarawak) primary rain forest has already been felled.
Who needs boutique hotels I ask myself. How about something folk actually want and have some purpose? I think things of value do remain and change is not good for changes sake.

the troubadour Sep 5th 2011 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Atilla (Post 9600668)
Have to agree with much of what is said here. I'm all for saving the environment etc., just not the particular brand of it that the anarchist oiks who just currently find it a useful 'initiative' to 'pin their colours to' peddle (note that their revulsion at the workings of the world generally doesn't prevent them from sponging from it at each and every opportunity - they are highly selective in their consideration of what does / should apply to them, laws included) :frown:. Problem is, esp where there is poverty and a living needing to be made, alternatives are needed not just the mindless bleating of stop, stop, stop. Those alternatives may not be easy to find but until they are I think the rhetoric achieves little. The problem is ensuring that all the players are looking for the alternatives and the profiteers, mostly, won't be.

With the conversion of shop houses and such like, unless in some cases countries / charities have a LOT of money to be thrown at some of these heritage sites (not just here), conversion to modern use is very good way of ensuring they persevere and not just fall to rack and ruin :thumbup:

I think rightly or wrongly that it is a positive thing that some folk do speak up and put themselves out there regardless of what my own personal view of their issue may be.
In an age of such indifference to anything not material or folk who only have an interest in monetary gain folk that question the status quo is no bad thing at all.

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9599656)
<snip>
Agree with ex reg on trees. These semi educated, left wing, tree hugging, dole cheating,useless, self appointed brother minders.....<snip>

Wow. I can see we're going to be the best of friends :rofl:

the troubadour Sep 5th 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9600714)
Wow. I can see we're going to be the best of friends :rofl:

I'd keep the over sight in not telling the office wallahs at your local Cenre Link office that you've been gainfully employed for five of the six years you've been claiming to myself if i was you.......Some may take issue with that...lol

Kooky. Sep 5th 2011 3:28 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9600737)
I'd keep the over sight in not telling the office wallahs at your local Cenre Link office that you've been gainfully employed for five of the six years you've been claiming to myself if i was you.......Some may take issue with that...lol

Do you think they'd let me off signing on this week, it's a bit tricky when I'm chained by my neck to a gate outside Harvey Norman's.