Penang Food

Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

I guess so bakedbeans. Us prefer it with more fish... there is one at Farlim behind KFC that sells assam laksa with fresh fish fillet as side orders.

Tastes wise, comparitively the same as the one at Kek Lok Si.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

I look forward to exploring Penang and Perak restaurants in a lot more depth from 2014 onwards. Perhaps I'll run into Bangsar Babe and her husband in my travels

http://www.bangsarbabe.com/
Old Nov 11th 2013, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

We just had a very pleasant meal for 2 in a rather touristy part of Batu Ferringgi, next to the Wooden Pub. Tom Yam soup, Penang fried kway teow, Penang chicken curry, chocolate cake and ice cream, bottle of mineral water and a fresh lime juice - all for 70Rm. Very reasonable.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 12:50 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

And I bet the cake and icecream was the most expensive
Old Nov 11th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

I think it probably was.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rusty747
We just had a very pleasant meal for 2 in a rather touristy part of Batu Ferringgi, next to the Wooden Pub. Tom Yam soup, Penang fried kway teow, Penang chicken curry, chocolate cake and ice cream, bottle of mineral water and a fresh lime juice - all for 70Rm. Very reasonable.
Yup, definitely touristy priced as well. Kind of pricey me think.

At Gurney, a plate of char koey teow or chicken curry costs in the range of rm4-rm5 (or more, depending on the size and type of the prawns).

Tomyams, perhaps Rm25? Fresh lime juice rm2 max...
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

And an update on the place we went to. We went back again last night. It's called the wizard of food. I ordered fish and chips which came with a salad. In mid meal I discovered I was sharing the salad with a creep crawly the size of my little finger.
To be fair, there was much apologising and no bill but still not a pleasant experience.
Tonight we ate at the Indian, opposite Paradise Rainbow Beach hotel, called Sri Anandabhawan I think. Chicken tandoori, garlic naan, root beer for me. Similar for my bride and change from MYR 30 and it was superb.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:58 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

That's a welcome review Rusty. Sri Anand Bhawan seems to go through good/bad phases over the years, so looks like it's back to good then.

We ate at Bella Marino at Straits Quay tonight. Very nice Italian food.....from an Indian chef
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

We are in town until next Tuesday now BB. Developers want to send the contractors to look at our windows on Tuesday so we thought we would hang around and 'supervise.'
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

And an update on the place we went to. We went back again last night. It's called the wizard of food. I ordered fish and chips which came with a salad. In mid meal I discovered I was sharing the salad with a creep crawly the size of my little finger.
To be fair, there was much apologising and no bill but still not a pleasant experience.
Tonight we ate at the Indian, opposite Paradise Rainbow Beach hotel, called Sri Anandabhawan I think. Chicken tandoori, garlic naan, root beer for me. Similar for my bride and change from MYR 30 and it was superb.
Creep crawly? Cockroach?

Yup, that sounds more like it. Anything above Rm50 for a meal in Malaysia is restaurant style food.

Finally I figured who rusty747 is.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:30 pm

We are in town until next Tuesday now BB. Developers want to send the contractors to look at our windows on Tuesday so we thought we would hang around and 'supervise.'
Yes...good idea to supervise. Hope it all goes OK.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 12:20 pm

This one's for Spacial Tomato if he's reading. There's a rather nice Korean pub type restaurant opened up in Tg Bungah. Travelling towards Bt Ferringhi, it's on the left just before the wet market, and called Forest.

Very nice people there and good service and the food is pretty good too. I'm tippy toeing through the Korean stuff. Kimchi is strange stuff eh. They also have a BBQ going outside and do BBQ chicken and also pork.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
That's a welcome review Rusty. Sri Anand Bhawan seems to go through good/bad phases over the years, so looks like it's back to good then.
This is what we've found also.
To such an extent that we'd rather eat in the place which is part of the mini mart next door ish.
We've watched the daughters there grow up.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light

Oh thanks bakedbean, that's really good to know. I'm new to Korean food only in the last year in fact. The Kimchi is definitely odd at first, if I'm remembering it right. I like those hot-pot things a lot, not sure what's in them. I'll look out for that place when I'm next there.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, and I've not read all of this thread, or even much of it (yet), but as this does seem to be a topic of Penang food, I thought I'd drop in my favourites when I was there, which were Char Koay Teow, and Hokkien Mee (or it may have been Hokkien Char). Anyone else like those? Still loads more to discover.

Cheers.

Last edited by SpacialTomato; Feb 17th 2014 at 10:47 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 11:43 am

Yes I love Char Kway Teow and Hokkien Mee. I think Hokkien char is a bit different. Did you get a chance to try the Penang Assam laksa? That is very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.