Penang Food

Old Aug 10th 2012, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Food

Originally Posted by bakedbean
G'wan then...what's the two types? The one I've seen at Viva FC in Penang seems to be like a sort of scrambled egg type omelette with tons of oysters. It looks quite appealing though it's been so long since I tried an oyster, I really cannot remember if I actually like them
Well you can get your omelette neat, so to speak or you can get it with the addition of tapioca flour I think it is.
More Tapioca flour and addition of water rather than milk and it becomes more diluted but imo more crispy.

The crispier the better for me.

In many outlets down here they sell the different variants at a different price with the tapioca flour one being slightly cheaper.
We're not in Singapore at the moment so I can't remember the full details but when we get back there it'll be down to Newton Circus for our favourite oyster omelette stall, chicken wings, some satay, nasi goreng and Anchor beer.
The Anchor beer is for me, the missus like the Lychee drink.
And because of that she'll very kindly drive home afterwards.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

How's the food at the night stalls in Gurney Drive, Penang?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thomas. I have to say that I've never ate there though it's not so far from where we live. I'll leave others to comment.

Driving past there, I've never spotted a beer stall there. This is an essential requirement when Mr bakedbean eats out (and I generally eat out with Mr bakedbean).

The foodcourts we usually eat at are Viva in Tanjung Bungah, Old City in Fettes Park, and Northam Beach Cafe in Georgetown. I kind of like Viva. It doesn't get too packed out and they keep the tables clean generally... and lots of food choices too. My current favourites are the Penang Laksa stall, Char Kway Teow (you can ask for a bigger version - extra prawns and Chinese sausage) and Hokkien Mee. The stalls change from time to time, so always something new to try out

Oh and good for parking too. Free parking within the grounds of the foodcourt, but just as easy to park on the road outside. It's also on a bus route for those that don't drive.

Last edited by bakedbean; Aug 22nd 2012 at 3:55 am. Reason: forgot something
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

To me Gurney Drive is not what it once was...touristy with prices to match.

If you are driving and like duck, try Tankee at Lunas. After the Penang bridge keep going toward Kulim about 10 min and take the Lunas exit to the left 1 km. Tankee is on the left. His duck is meaty and beautifully cooked, sauce superb and soup with pickled cabbage wonderful. With fresh juice for 5 will get change of a RM50.

A friend also took us to a very good Dim Sum place. I have tried to find it on the map and if I'm right, its opposite the market on Jalan Heng Choon Thian in Butterworth. Again food and tea for 5 came to under RM40 and quality good. The place was overflowing with local Chinese, which is a good sign.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

I've been to Northam Beach Cafe, it was nice. The times I went to Gurney Drive were nice too, but it's been a long while since. There are also small restaurants there where beer is aplenty.

Have you ever tried the Genting Restaurant? It's on the south side of the island, not so easy to find. I went there many years ago when it first opened, and one requirement was that the tyres on the car should have good grip. The food was average Thai but the view was splendid as it's almost at the tip of the island.

http://al02.blogspot.com/2009/03/buk...ng-penang.html
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomasK

Have you ever tried the Genting Restaurant? It's on the south side of the island, not so easy to find. I went there many years ago when it first opened, and one requirement was that the tyres on the car should have good grip. The food was average Thai but the view was splendid as it's almost at the tip of the island.

http://al02.blogspot.com/2009/03/buk...ng-penang.html
Willhave to try that next time we are in Penang.

Only been passed the airport that far south once or twice before as it's really a good half day trip from the north, especially if you want to look around.
We went to the WWII museum in that area once iirc.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

Gurney hawker stalls are ok, you can get cans of beer from various stalls. Towards the far end (near McDonalds) you can get a good Char Kuey Teow and the satays are pretty good too.

Hubby & I prefer Red Garden in Georgetown - infact we're heading off there in a minute. We usually go on a Wednesday evening after he and friend have played football. Good choice of food, beer aplenty and some ok (at times) entertainment on stage. Very touristy I know but we enjoy the atmosphere!

Thomas, I've been to Genting Restaurant with some friends and you're right, food was average (Chok Dee on Burma is WAY better) but the view was fantastic.

Last edited by Scrasey2; Aug 22nd 2012 at 11:42 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:10 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

We were down the south end a couple of months ago and saw a Thai place... maybe that was it. Nice peaceful scenery down there...Penang full of surprises
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:18 pm

Nutmeg anyone? Just trying my first nutmeg juice and it's very strange. Does anyone like the stuff?
Old Jan 5th 2013, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh just like to say your all terribly mean

Sitting here in Melbourne foaming like homer simpson

... But at least I know why I am focused on malaysia (apart from obvious family committments)
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:46 am

Heard it was about 40 something degrees yesterday? Crikey... way too hot... though I imagine not the humidity of Malaysia.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Heard it was about 40 something degrees yesterday? Crikey... way too hot... though I imagine not the humidity of Malaysia.
44 and oh so comfortable
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:42 pm

Just thought I'd say......Claypot chicken

They do a very nice one at the viva foodcourt and so cheap, my life. Think it's about 5 ringgits which is not very much but very tasty and plenty of chicken meat, Chinese sausage. Very nice.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd say......Claypot chicken

They do a very nice one at the viva foodcourt and so cheap, my life. Think it's about 5 ringgits which is not very much but very tasty and plenty of chicken meat, Chinese sausage. Very nice.

Penang is well known for its food!

The best laksa is still at the Air Itam, beside the wet market. Just point the GPS to Kek Lok Si temple and you will not miss it.

However, many are put off with the roadside 'hygienic' view, but trust me, its really tasty if you are a laksa fan!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 8:02 am

I dunno Roy. I went with a couple of friends to Kek Lok Si some months back and both of them zoomed in on the laksa place and had a bowl each. It looked very fish-chunky to me and they said there were quite a few bones in it.

Personally, I do like the Assam laksa at Viva. Not too fishy. I guess it's a personal taste eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.