Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Penang Fish & Chip shop raided

Penang Fish & Chip shop raided

Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Penang Fish & Chip shop raided

I am 100 percent sure that they are not illegal. This condo is one of the most known places in Malaysia and has a four star hotel from one of the biggest hotel chains in the world attached. The Sultan regularly lands at the helipad and the very friendly Pakistan guards are definitely not afraid of anything and very good in hunting down homestay activities.

I will find out why they can employ staff from Pakistan. I have to complain about another thing with the management this week, will ask this also.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

I am 100 percent sure that they are not illegal. This condo is one of the most known places in Malaysia and has a four star hotel from one of the biggest hotel chains in the world attached. The Sultan regularly lands at the helipad and the very friendly Pakistan guards are definitely not afraid of anything and very good in hunting down homestay activities.

I will find out why they can employ staff from Pakistan. I have to complain about another thing with the management this week, will ask this also.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I was PM on a large contract in Singapore and right at the start we were looking for security personel before we got HR and other staff on board.

One morning a big (tall and muscular ) Indian guy came applying for a job.
He was wearing a tie and shirt and spoke very good english. Very presentable.

In his brief case he had many files and he layed one on the table in front of me too look at.

It stated 'Qualifications, Experience and Testimonials'
A thick file.

Anyway I opened it and right on the top was a letter from a well known Multi National company which was a bit strange as generally they only gave out brief notes on time worked and job description.
This testimonial was short.
It said:

As you will realize this man does not read english.

Do not under any circumstances give him a job.
He will screw you sideways and will employ every devious trick in the book.
He is f....ing useless.

I looked at the guy and he was beaming.

I said I'd let him know.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

The issues with abusing illegal residents and low cost foreign workers as well as locals not wanting to take up certain simple but demanding jobs (like restaurant work) reminds of the situation in the Middle East.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Here are two 2016 articles that specifically specify only Malaysians and Registered Nepalese are allowed to be hired as security guards. It's interesting to read through the 2 articles, the numbers of illegals are astounding and the practice of hiring them is outright boldness ;-)

Report: 40,000 undocumented immigrants working as security guards in Malaysia | Coconuts Kuala Lumpur

"....A new report indicates that, despite Home Ministry directives that only registered Nepalese nationals can work as foreign security guards in Malaysia, many security firms continue to hire undocumented immigrants - at least 40,000 nationwide - to maximise profits.

Ministry views employment of 30000 illegal foreign security guards seriously | Astro Awani

"...He however, urged all parties, including the public and PPKKM to report or provide information and proof regarding the matter to the ministry or its agencies, including the Private Agency Unit at 03-88868034, or email to [email protected].
He also reminded resident associations and housing managements to play their role to ensure only legal Malaysians and Nepalese security guards from licensed security companies are hired.

Last edited by columbine; Jul 27th 2016 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:38 am
Just Joined

Chris1855 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its true Healy Mac's was raided a few years back. I believe even their Irish Manager at the time fled when they came knocking. The immigration policy makes it hard to get the right staff, hence a lot of Bangladeshi working there. They are great guys and do a good job, just not very Irish
Old Aug 1st 2016, 10:41 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eCdD
I am 100 percent sure that they are not illegal. This condo is one of the most known places in Malaysia and has a four star hotel from one of the biggest hotel chains in the world attached....
Hi eCdD,

Very interested to know what your condo management told you about how come they employ Pakistani guards. How did it go?

JC3
Old Aug 1st 2016, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Not yet done, because the other thing was solved before i could complain and now we relax in Cameron Highlands

But will not forget this.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Today I read this article in The Star about allowing foreign security guards in Malaysia:
Zahid: Non-Nepali security guards now allowed - Nation | The Star Online
Old Sep 29th 2016, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JC3
Hi eCdD,
Very interested to know what your condo management told you about how come they employ Pakistani guards. How did it go?
JC3
OK, I think I know how it works now (but the law changes anyway). We have three-teer-security. On the very first gate (a couple of 100 meters away from the buildings ) the security guys are (Indian) Malaysians. After this point, the people officially seem to be not security but caretakers or concierges. And they can be Bangladeshis or Pakistani. By the way, our (few) Malays and the Pakistani don´t like each other too much as I know now
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:52 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

....Almost all our security guards are from Pakistan. And this is a condo that definitely is not doing any illegal things.
OK, ...On the very first gate (a couple of 100 meters away from the buildings ) the security guys are (Indian) Malaysians. After this point, the people officially seem to be not security but caretakers or concierges. And they can be Bangladeshis or Pakistani.
Thanks for the update eCdD. This sounds very dodgy. The Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are almost certainly being employed illegally and this is simply a 'work around' the current law on security guards.

If you want to pursue it, ask to see a copy of their work permits specifying the work they can do in Malaysia. It won't be caretaker, concierge or security guard.

JC3