Passport Renewal

Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Renewal

Need to get my passport renewed shortly as getting close to 6 months validity. Looking on the web today it appears that renewals for this region are now managed through Hong Kong, anyone had recent experience of this process and can shed some light on this? Want to be 100% on the process before dispatching passport overseas!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:07 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Renewal

Yes we did it. The passport is sent to and from HK by DHL from memory. From there, I understand, they send it to the UK. All very straightforward and easy. Cant remember what it cost, dont think it was cheap though.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, prices looked a lot more than what I remember for last renewal in Aus. Is there any interaction with the High Commission/Embassy here or did you just arrange DHL to send it yourself?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:51 pm
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

No, we didnt have contact with them, just send it through DHL ourselves.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks ajw, final question - how long did it take? Will need to time the application for when I know I won't need to go o/s.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:15 pm
ajw

I think you need to allow 4 weeks
Old Jun 21st 2013, 1:12 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

As ajw said, sent DHL to Hong Kong and yes wasn't that cheap Rather miffed that had to sign a disclaimer which basically said that if DHL lost my passport it wouldn't be their fault
Old Jun 21st 2013, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Froggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond reputeFroggybarnacle2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nakrob! I renewed the husband's passport last year. Dug out the receipt issued by the FCO in HK (can you believe I still have it, my organisational skills kill me sometimes), paid HK$2181=£182+. Payment included a) renewal/additional adult 48 page passport, b) postage-document delivery to HK , and c) postage-document delivery to UK. Yes it is pretty straightforward, just download the form, fill out, bring to your nearest DHL outlet---in this case it was a DHL outlet in a Cheers Convenience Store in an MRT station in Singapore (we were still living in Sgp then before we moved to JB). Did get a bit worried that the store clerk would misplace the passport and docs amongst the choccies, char siew baos, and cigarettes, but apparently she was clued in, she had all the delivery slips filled out and such, no problem. The receipt from FCO HK was dated 8th June 2012, so I must've sent it off a day or two before. His (renewed) passport issue date is 18th June 2012...the passport, surprisingly came back on the 28th of June, so that didn't take too long.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the detailed reply. That's fully enlightened me. Price is a bit steep though. No good me looking for a receipt from 10 years ago in Aus!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:13 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

My son has just renewed his daughter's UK passport from Sabah through Hong Kong. It took about 6 weeks. The process was straightforward - no problems. This is the second time we have usd the HK service - I renewed mine from Japan in 2010 and found the service to be smooth and efficient.