British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Which Part Of Malaysia Would Suit Me Best? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/part-malaysia-would-suit-me-best-719733/)

izzi Jun 5th 2011 10:21 pm

Which Part Of Malaysia Would Suit Me Best?

Hi Everyone, i just joined this forum. :) I would appreciate some advise from the members here. Let me first tell you about myself:

I have been dreaming for quite some time of emigrating from UK. I live in Sheffield. From the places to live in UK, Sheffield does hold a special place in my heart. I suppose you could say its home so maybe thats why.

My whole reasoning to leave and move to another country is that i want to be somewhere where the climate is nice. For all of you who are originally from England, you know what the weather is like. Another thing is culture.

The thing is though that im not retiring age, so still have some way to go before i can take the plunge. Im a business man and feel that i need about 5 years before i can be in a position to have a healthy ongoing income from UK to support me in another country. I will be relying on rental income to live on. Going to plan a holiday soon to malaysia to check it out for myself but dont know where to go first.

The things im looking for are alot. I know i am asking for too much.

1. Where is the best weather in Malaysia? I have read on different sites that its always raining. Is this true and if so where does it rain the least and still have sunshine.?

2. I am married and have two children, 1 is 4 1/2 and 1 is 1 1/2 so would like to be in a city where my children can get a good education.

3. I dont drink alcohol as i am muslim so its not a requirement.

4. Somewhere near a nice beach would be nice but not too touristy. I would love to mingle with locals and make new friend.

5. A place which gives you more for your buck or should i say pound.

I cant remember what else there was but will add if i do. Thankyou to everyone in advance.

izzi

izzi Jun 5th 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Which Part Of Malaysia Would Suit Me Best?

Sorry i forgot to mention ** Peace and Tranquility* You know, somehwere there isnt too much hustle and bustle but still close by.

the troubadour Jun 6th 2011 1:48 am

Originally Posted by izzi (Post 9412275)
Hi Everyone, i just joined this forum. :) I would appreciate some advise from the members here. Let me first tell you about myself:

I have been dreaming for quite some time of emigrating from UK. I live in Sheffield. From the places to live in UK, Sheffield does hold a special place in my heart. I suppose you could say its home so maybe thats why.

My whole reasoning to leave and move to another country is that i want to be somewhere where the climate is nice. For all of you who are originally from England, you know what the weather is like. Another thing is culture.

The thing is though that im not retiring age, so still have some way to go before i can take the plunge. Im a business man and feel that i need about 5 years before i can be in a position to have a healthy ongoing income from UK to support me in another country. I will be relying on rental income to live on. Going to plan a holiday soon to malaysia to check it out for myself but dont know where to go first.

The things im looking for are alot. I know i am asking for too much.

1. Where is the best weather in Malaysia? I have read on different sites that its always raining. Is this true and if so where does it rain the least and still have sunshine.?

2. I am married and have two children, 1 is 4 1/2 and 1 is 1 1/2 so would like to be in a city where my children can get a good education.

3. I dont drink alcohol as i am muslim so its not a requirement.

4. Somewhere near a nice beach would be nice but not too touristy. I would love to mingle with locals and make new friend.

5. A place which gives you more for your buck or should i say pound.

I cant remember what else there was but will add if i do. Thankyou to everyone in advance.

izzi

1 West Coast has the best weather with Sumutra in Indonesia acting as a buffer against the worst of the season monsoons.
Most places are hot and humid. Rain heavy at times during the season.

2 Expect Kl would offer the largest choice. Would you want your children to go to an international or a Muslim school?

3 Quite a few of my Malay contacts from my time there were certainly Muslim and certainly drank.
Then we were all a lot younger in those days. In the Northern States,being far more conservative such as Kelantan,it is far more unacceptable especially for Muslims to drink alcohol. I'm sure this is still the case.

4 Near a beach. Personaly I like the state of Pahang. Perhaps somewhere like Kuantan may fit the bill? Beautiful diverse state where you cannot mistaken that you are in Malaysia.

5 Away from KL and Penang should prove to be more value for your GBP,but most places you should be able to find something that suits your individual reqirements and means.

joamelie Jun 6th 2011 3:56 am

When people say it rains alot here...it does, but it's very different to the UK rain.
Here you get rain maybe 4 days in a week...it's usually in the afternoon and lasts may be a hour. When it rains, it rains hard, but it really doesn't last long. The rain is usual very welcome as it reduces the heat and humidity. Unlike in the UK, it really doesn't stop you doing things...you just wait it out somewhere.
I think you are very wise to come out and have a look around. we are based in KL and there are some excellent international schools here. I was complaining about the cost of school the other day, and then worked out it was actually cheaper than the nursery fees I used to pay for part-time care in the UK!:o No more complaining....and anyway, my daughter loves the school and is getting an excellent education.
KL is not by the sea though...about 1-1.5 hours away is Port Dickson which is seaside and adequate, but not the beautiful beaches available in Malaysia.
Good luck,
Jo

TopHattedCat Jun 6th 2011 3:38 pm

Hi izzi,

Penang could be what you are looking for.

If it's beaches check this out:

http://www.spy.my/penang/Beaches.html

However, there are better beaches in other locations in Malaysia

There are international schools in Penang that follow the UK curriculum, but having said that I have a 2.5 year old son & my intention is to send him to the best Chinese school I can find.

My reasoning for this; I believe the story of the 19th century was about the UK
The story about the 21st century was about the USA
I believe the story about the 21st century will centre around China

Therefore (imho) I think it is in his best interests to learn Mandarin.

As Joamelie has stated when it does rain it does not last too long.

You are right to come & see for yourself, best to continue what you are doing & accumulate as much info as you can prior to your visit.

Good luck whatever path you choose to follow.

the troubadour Jun 7th 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9413781)
Hi izzi,

Penang could be what you are looking for.

If it's beaches check this out:

http://www.spy.my/penang/Beaches.html

However, there are better beaches in other locations in Malaysia

There are international schools in Penang that follow the UK curriculum, but having said that I have a 2.5 year old son & my intention is to send him to the best Chinese school I can find.

My reasoning for this; I believe the story of the 19th century was about the UK
The story about the 21st century was about the USA
I believe the story about the 21st century will centre around China

Therefore (imho) I think it is in his best interests to learn Mandarin.

As Joamelie has stated when it does rain it does not last too long.

You are right to come & see for yourself, best to continue what you are doing & accumulate as much info as you can prior to your visit.

Good luck whatever path you choose to follow.

Possibly or perhaps may prefer a slightly more Islamic influenced part of Malaysia.

Whichever may be the case there is the choice available. How good is that?

Strider24 Jun 7th 2011 1:59 am

Best weather is in the mountains, but few large towns there and work could be an argument. Cukai just into Terengganu has work mostly associated with oil, but has good shopping, schools and beaches close by. Same with Kuantan.

West coast always Penang, but the area around Sri Manjung has masses of industry and work potential, English widely spoken, schools, excellent everyday shopping, beaches and islands and not too far from Ipoh and the highlands for a break in the cool.

I notice nobody is mentioning KL, so I won't either. It has the work, but its just a big city with all that implies...if you like that.