British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Parking @ Padang Besar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/parking-%40-padang-besar-891061/)

JustAnotherFerringhi Feb 3rd 2017 7:25 am

Parking @ Padang Besar

I need to go to Hat Yai in Thailand for 1-2 days, and I need to use the Padang Besar border crossing (pets). Has anybody here parked their car in Padang Besar overnight? Is it safe, do they have any secure/guarded parking space there?

The idea is to drive to Padang Besar, leave the car there, cross the border, catch a van to Hat Yai, spend the night in HY, return to Padang Besar the next day with my cats in a van, cross the border, hop in the parked (rental) car and drive back to Penang.

I'd love to drive all the way to HY, but as I don't own a car, it seems impossible - no rental agency I've found lets me cross the border, however a few will let me drive up to the border.

SushiFan Feb 3rd 2017 7:43 am

Re: Parking @ Padang Besar

Alternatively you could consider to make a deal with an Uber driver to bring you there and pick you up the next day.

Gunnar45 Feb 4th 2017 9:44 am

As per information from some friends who went to Hat Yai last week, the Thai immigration only allows two entries per year through this borderpost.
This is probably valid for all crossings into Malaysia by road.
There is a signboard on the MY side of the border informing about this.

Gunnar45 Feb 4th 2017 9:53 am

Here is a link about this:
Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st - Page 18 - Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Forum

JustAnotherFerringhi Feb 5th 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks. I shan't have to cross that border into Thailand more than once anytime soon, God willing.

I'd prefer driving myself, if there is anywhere safe I can park my car in Padang Besar... I've been let down by drivers before.

Thairetired2016 Feb 5th 2017 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12170686)
As per information from some friends who went to Hat Yai last week, the Thai immigration only allows two entries per year through this borderpost.

This new rule applies to land border crossing only. As the rule is brand new, Thai immigration enforces the rule. Lots of folks in border areas are very inconvenienced as they do shopping and doctor visits in Thailand like from Laos and Cambodia. We have to thank the guys who work and stay without proper docs for this rule. They abused the system doing border runs.

Stuck in Auckland Feb 5th 2017 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12170686)

So advantage in being a multiple passport holder?

Thairetired2016 Feb 6th 2017 1:15 am

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12171708)

If you need to cross into Thailand more than twice/year, get a visa from Thai consulate in Penang.
I doubt multiple p.ports would help.
Thais soon catch on to this.

SushiFan Feb 6th 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12171708)

The rule does not apply to holders of a Malaysian passport. For all other passports is it limited.

Stuck in Auckland Feb 6th 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 (Post 12171919)
If you need to cross into Thailand more than twice/year, get a visa from Thai consulate in Penang.
I doubt multiple p.ports would help.
Thais soon catch on to this.

How?

American, British, Australian, New Zealand

Gunnar45 Feb 6th 2017 8:55 am

Multiple passports may create problems if you want to enter Malaysia again.
Even if it is possible to change passports between the two border posts, there may be questions about missing stamps.
So I would say it is less complicated to apply for multiple entry visa.

Stuck in Auckland Feb 6th 2017 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12172138)
Multiple passports may create problems if you want to enter Malaysia again.
Even if it is possible to change passports between the two border posts, there may be questions about missing stamps.
So I would say it is less complicated to apply for multiple entry visa.

Yes good point

RedApe Feb 15th 2017 11:10 pm

The only way I think you can get around this is if you go to one of your "home countries" and then exit using a different passport. If you have US/NZ passports then going out from MY with your US to NZ and back with your NZ would allow you to use that passport into and out of Thailand.

This might be more functional with someone just using the 3 month MY visa, not the MM2H Multi-Entry though, because that's stamped in only ONE of your passports. Could you leave for home (say NZ) with a different passport than your MM2H visa is stamped in and return with THAT non-MM2H one (NZ)? Then use it to go to Thailand and back? Then use your MM2h (USA) one for another trip to Thailand? Seems possible.

skates81 Feb 16th 2017 3:07 am

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12181052)
The only way I think you can get around this is if you go to one of your "home countries" and then exit using a different passport. If you have US/NZ passports then going out from MY with your US to NZ and back with your NZ would allow you to use that passport into and out of Thailand.

This might be more functional with someone just using the 3 month MY visa, not the MM2H Multi-Entry though, because that's stamped in only ONE of your passports. Could you leave for home (say NZ) with a different passport than your MM2H visa is stamped in and return with THAT non-MM2H one (NZ)? Then use it to go to Thailand and back? Then use your MM2h (USA) one for another trip to Thailand? Seems possible.

If the guy has an MM2H, maybe just getting a multi entry Thai visa from embassy or consulate in Malaysia would be much easier?