British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Opticians and driving glasses/conditions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/opticians-driving-glasses-conditions-709701/)

Atilla Mar 17th 2011 9:50 am

Opticians and driving glasses/conditions?

Could have sworn I saw a thread on here about this but can't find it now, maybe another country forum I was looking at.

I need to get some very good vari-focals soon, mainly for driving. I only JUST about need them for driving (e.g. am legal without) but they will improve long range binocular vision slightly, mainly decided to go for them because I do need glasses for reading and I get fed up of taking reading glasses on and off to check maps etc, or even to change music on an iPod or read an SMS when momentarily stationary.

Couple of questions really. What are the driving conditions sunlight wise in Malaysia? I'm consider either reactolites (good for much of the time in the UK but sometimes don't darken enough if sun is bright) or straight polaroids (brilliant for bright sun but if it's just dull or even hazy they can sometimes be too dark and no good for night driving - not that I'll be doing that much). If it is harsh sunlight MOST of the time (like it was in the UAE) I'll likely go for polarised 'sunglass' style, if it's more hazy the reactolites may do it. Part of me favours the reactolites simply because they are OK for night too, I'd just hate to go that route and find they are no good for day driving because they are not dark enough.

Second is cost/quality in Malaysia. As an example, a pair of aviator style (Rayban) frames with Zeiss lenses in reactolite/vari will be about £600 here. I'd hate to take the plunge and get out there only to find they'd be half the price (PROVIDED the quality is the same of course).

ex reg Mar 17th 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Opticians and driving glasses/conditions?

They'd be less than half price in Malaysia.
A friend just bought some vari focals here in Singapore for 250 quid and they'd be half that again in Malaysia but you want to add on reacctolite etc so that might up it to 300 quid. She wore the varifocals for a couple of days and then ditched them just as I did when I tried them 20 years ago.

Bit of a guess but glasses are cheaper in Malaysia and not just a bit cheaper.

I'd wait until I got here.
You might not.;)

OzSheila Mar 18th 2011 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Atilla (Post 9245655)
Could have sworn I saw a thread on here about this but can't find it now, maybe another country forum I was looking at.

I need to get some very good vari-focals soon, mainly for driving. I only JUST about need them for driving (e.g. am legal without) but they will improve long range binocular vision slightly, mainly decided to go for them because I do need glasses for reading and I get fed up of taking reading glasses on and off to check maps etc, or even to change music on an iPod or read an SMS when momentarily stationary.

Couple of questions really. What are the driving conditions sunlight wise in Malaysia? I'm consider either reactolites (good for much of the time in the UK but sometimes don't darken enough if sun is bright) or straight polaroids (brilliant for bright sun but if it's just dull or even hazy they can sometimes be too dark and no good for night driving - not that I'll be doing that much). If it is harsh sunlight MOST of the time (like it was in the UAE) I'll likely go for polarised 'sunglass' style, if it's more hazy the reactolites may do it. Part of me favours the reactolites simply because they are OK for night too, I'd just hate to go that route and find they are no good for day driving because they are not dark enough.

Second is cost/quality in Malaysia. As an example, a pair of aviator style (Rayban) frames with Zeiss lenses in reactolite/vari will be about £600 here. I'd hate to take the plunge and get out there only to find they'd be half the price (PROVIDED the quality is the same of course).

See you are going to Penang. If you go onto the forums on TripAdvisor there is a highly recommended optician there. Think his name is Patrick.

Altho I havent used his services have purchased eyeware in Malaysia previously and they are excellent quality and much cheaper than UK/Australia. I am going to Penang in April and more than likely will be taking my mother to Patrick as she is having probs with her current multi-focals.

HTH

OzSheila Mar 18th 2011 2:18 am

Just found the thread:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ng_Penang.html

Atilla Mar 18th 2011 7:52 am

That's great, thanks. Page bookmarked for when I get there.

Atilla Mar 19th 2011 7:28 am

One thing an optician told me here (I urgently needed some new 'readers') was that reactolites rely on UV light to trigger the tint. In the vast majority of cases cars built in the last few years fit glass that filters UV so reactolites may well not work at all as driving glasses in many cases.

columbine Mar 21st 2011 2:09 am

I go to the one called Pusat Optik Juara, 404 (Ground floor Hotel Central) Penang Road. So far very reliable these past six years with the progressive lenses (Varilux) and frames. Was recommended by my sisters from UK and Oz who go every year they are back in Pg. :)

Atilla Mar 21st 2011 8:33 am

Thanks, will bear it in mind. Just paid £520 for a set of vari-focals here (and that was with £80 off) !!!! Rayban frames with polarise Zeiss lenses. Supposed to be VERY good as there is a very small area of 'blur' (I forgot the term they used). They'd better be good for that money. I think I should have waited really, I'll probably compare the prices for equivalent lenses when I'm there. Needs to be equivalent as I could have got them for £380 with Seiko lenses and probably £250 or so with standards.

columbine Mar 22nd 2011 6:45 am

If you look up Varilux .........(by Essilor), the site will tell you all the lenses they carry under 'Products'. Not sure about comparison with Zeiss as I've always used lenses made by Essilor back in Canada, HK and here. Of course it's cheapest here when compared to prices of lenses and frames in Canada and HK. The prices vary depending the type of lenses and functions :)