Reload this Page >

Opportunities for Socializing (Kids) in Penang

Opportunities for Socializing (Kids) in Penang

Old Feb 8th 2018, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Suncamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opportunities for Socializing (Kids) in Penang

Hello all.

We are recent arrivals in Penang on MM2H. Settling in gradually, our kids (10 and 13) are attending Japanese school, very small number of students and very limited English spoken there.

My kids are bilingual, (native English and Japanese), and since we moved here from the US, they are culturally very American. They interact socially much more comfortably and naturally in English, and I would be interested in any ideas/suggestions as to how they might meet other English-speaking kids their age. Not to say that Malaysian kids don’t speak English, but certainly there’s a language/culture gap that may present difficulties. My kids are interested in music, art, dancing, Youtubers, anime/manga, etc. Are there any venues where expat kids their age congregate, or are there any after school art/music classes where British/Aussi/Kiwi/Yank kids get together? Any other social network for kids worth knowing about?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Suncamp
Old Feb 9th 2018, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opportunities for Socializing (Kids) in Penang

The Japanese school in Penang is set up like a "for the Japanese children, by the Japanese parents" kind of organisation. The Japanese parents want to avoid that their children get a big gap in upbringing during the years that they're away from Japan. I think it is very unlikely to find non-Japanese children there.
My guess is that you would need to look more towards the international schools to find non-Japanese and non-Malaysian children.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Foodi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My daughter went to Uplands. Because the school provided all kinds of after school activities (music, art, sport, etc), there is little need for us to look for clubs outside of the school. I guess that would be the same for other parents who have kids at Uplands or Dalat. Maybe you can join some expat groups and meet parents who have children of the same age as yours and start an informal playdate group?
Old Feb 15th 2018, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

Many American expats, teachers and kids go to the 'Lets Meat' restaurant over in Permai Village.

Saturday afternoon or evenings see the kids area of the restaurant packed.