Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest by Malaysian German Society

Oktoberfest by Malaysian German Society

Old Sep 26th 2016, 7:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oktoberfest by Malaysian German Society

OK this is the real McCoy (or so I am led to believe). Held annually at the Malaysian German Society. That's located very close to Suffolk House.

I think everything you need to know is on the flyer below. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Oktoberfest by Malaysian German Society-oktoberfest.jpg  
Old Sep 26th 2016, 9:13 am
Just Joined

shuff27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oktoberfest by Malaysian German Society

This was one of our favourite events while living in Penang 2007-10 so I can recommend it. Helped by having made some German/Swiss friends through Uplands school but looking forward to going again in 2018 once we've really retired & back in Penang for winters!
Old Sep 26th 2016, 11:17 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shuff27
This was one of our favourite events while living in Penang 2007-10 so I can recommend it. Helped by having made some German/Swiss friends through Uplands school but looking forward to going again in 2018 once we've really retired & back in Penang for winters!
You left when I arrived If you've not been back since 2010 you will see a lot of changes.... lots of condos have sprouted up and some offshore islands appearing now too.
Old Sep 27th 2016, 7:41 am
Just Joined

shuff27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was there for 4 days last October, staying with friends in Tanjung Bungah while en route to Indonesia. Lots of new things/places to discover but many of the favourite old haunts still there.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

As former president of the MGS I feel I have to promote the Oktoberfest although it has every year more visitors without any promotion. The former German Ambassador who grew up in Munich called the MGS Oktoberfest the one which is closest to the original of all overseas Oktoberfests he has visited.

The MGS tries all the years to bring the German Gemuetlichkeit to Penang. Gemuetlichkeit cant be really translated but describes a space or state of warmth, friendliness,and good cheer. Other qualities include coziness, peace of mind, belonging, well being, and social acceptance and leaving your sorrows at the door step which means the entrance after you paid for the ticket.

Tickets for non members are RM 30 if you buy them upfront at the MGS (next to Suffolk house) or RM 35 at the door. Since the seating capacity is limited sold outcould happen if you are late.

A typical oom-pah Band from Bavaria will entertain you all night long. Usually they start with the traditional Bavarian folks music while the gusts enjoy the typical German food and beers and turn to hotter rhythms to help you to digest the heavy fair.

Its a great opportunity to make new friends - local and foreign alike. For more info check the website of the MGS: www.mgs.org
Old Oct 13th 2016, 11:06 pm

A lot of friends rave on about this event. Regrettably I won't be around. Have a great time, Kebi