Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Not such a young guy (50) looking for advice

Not such a young guy (50) looking for advice

Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Rish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not such a young guy (50) looking for advice

I am planning to move to Malaysia from UK and would love to meet someone/people who have been there for a while and would like to share their experience. I will originally be in KL but willing to travel if necessary to meet up. Willing to buy the beers in return I will be in KL at the end of November 2013.

Last edited by Rish; Nov 12th 2013 at 8:31 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not such a young guy (50) looking for advice

Sounds like the Penang meet ups are a blast.

See other thread.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

gobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond reputegobbledonk has a reputation beyond repute

End of Nov is very close - seriously envious

Mate, 50 is hardly 'old' - I'll be 55 when my plane touches down in Penang in April next year, and I consider that young for a retiree, esp if you are healthy. After way too many years sitting in the departure lounge of various airports dreading my return to the office, that blessed day cant come soon enough.

Good luck with your trip - if you get the time, a quick trip report would be great.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good reason for organizing another 'makan' session eh, #bakedbeans?

Welcome to Malaysia Rish
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gobbledonk
End of Nov is very close - seriously envious

Mate, 50 is hardly 'old' - I'll be 55 when my plane touches down in Penang in April next year, and I consider that young for a retiree, esp if you are healthy. After way too many years sitting in the departure lounge of various airports dreading my return to the office, that blessed day cant come soon enough.

Good luck with your trip - if you get the time, a quick trip report would be great.
I know the feeling...
I got made redundant recently and I'm weighing up my options about finding another stressful job or enjoying life on a lower income, hence checking out Malaysia. I will definitely write up a quick report when I get back in January. Cheers!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roystevenung
Sounds like a good reason for organizing another 'makan' session eh, #bakedbeans?

Welcome to Malaysia Rish
Thanks! When do you normally have the 'makan' session? Sounds like going to Penang is a must
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:04 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rish,

Here’s some numbers that might help you work out a rough budget.
One of the great things about living in Malaysia is that your monthly essential bills are low.
Tap Water & Sewerage are incredibly cheap
Petrol costs about one third of the UK price
There’s no Council Tax
There’s no VAT yet, although 6% GST is coming in 2015.

You can get quite good data on the cost of living here: www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Here’s a rough guide to our biggest bills in Penang. My wife and I live in a house in a gated development with a shared pool and tennis court. Living in an apartment would probably be a bit cheaper, particularly the electric bill. Many people in Penang who live in higher floor apartments get a decent through breeze and hardly use aircon. In the house we use aircon principally in the bedroom at night.

Per month (RM)

Electricity A/C 300
Water & Sewerage 20
Service Charge (security, gardening, communal maintenance) 300
Landline & wifi 150
Astro Satellite TV with movies, but not sport 140
Mobile phone 70
Medical Insurance (2 people) 370
Motor Insurance 2 litre car (with 55% NCD) 145
Contents Insurance 135
Buildings Insurance 100
Gardener / House Boy 130
Bottled Water 80

They are the main ones. Note that I tend towards being over-insured.

Add to that:
Rent – take a look at www.iproperty.com and you’ll get an idea. Asking prices for rentals in Penang are about 15-40% over what you should be able to negotiate.

Supermarket bills – about 20% more than the UK, until you settle in and find out what’s cheaper where and buy less imported stuff. Then it’s about the same. But wine & beer is expensive, say 20-40% more than in the UK.

A maid - RM10-12 an hour.
Petrol - RM2.10 a litre (RON 95) Cheap!
Eating out – as cheap or expensive as you like.
Gym / Sports Club membership
Travel & holidays…Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Bali….

I hope this helps a bit, if you get to Penang Island I’d be happy to meet up for a beer, coffee or whatever. Meanwhile enjoy KL!

JC3
Old Nov 13th 2013, 12:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

The MM2H Makan nights have been organized by the MM2H site for the last 2+ years. They are usually 2 monthly unless someone on that site specifically requests one.

I'm currently on my dreaded iPad so cannot put any links in but if you go to google and type in:

mm2h Penang support group

First link that should come up is the PSG website. Check on there what is coming up the next few weeks. Usually coffee meetups, outings and the Penang Makan nights.

Second link will probably be the MM2H site my2home.info which is really worth reading if you are thinking about applying for the MM2H visa.

Apart from above, there is really nothing to stop anyone on here starting a new topic on this section of the forum and organizing a meetup yourself.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JC3
Hi Rish,

Here’s some numbers that might help you work out a rough budget.
One of the great things about living in Malaysia is that your monthly essential bills are low.
Tap Water & Sewerage are incredibly cheap
Petrol costs about one third of the UK price
There’s no Council Tax
There’s no VAT yet, although 6% GST is coming in 2015.

You can get quite good data on the cost of living here: www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Here’s a rough guide to our biggest bills in Penang. My wife and I live in a house in a gated development with a shared pool and tennis court. Living in an apartment would probably be a bit cheaper, particularly the electric bill. Many people in Penang who live in higher floor apartments get a decent through breeze and hardly use aircon. In the house we use aircon principally in the bedroom at night.

Per month (RM)

Electricity A/C 300
Water & Sewerage 20
Service Charge (security, gardening, communal maintenance) 300
Landline & wifi 150
Astro Satellite TV with movies, but not sport 140
Mobile phone 70
Medical Insurance (2 people) 370
Motor Insurance 2 litre car (with 55% NCD) 145
Contents Insurance 135
Buildings Insurance 100
Gardener / House Boy 130
Bottled Water 80

They are the main ones. Note that I tend towards being over-insured.

Add to that:
Rent – take a look at www.iproperty.com and you’ll get an idea. Asking prices for rentals in Penang are about 15-40% over what you should be able to negotiate.

Supermarket bills – about 20% more than the UK, until you settle in and find out what’s cheaper where and buy less imported stuff. Then it’s about the same. But wine & beer is expensive, say 20-40% more than in the UK.

A maid - RM10-12 an hour.
Petrol - RM2.10 a litre (RON 95) Cheap!
Eating out – as cheap or expensive as you like.
Gym / Sports Club membership
Travel & holidays…Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Bali….

I hope this helps a bit, if you get to Penang Island I’d be happy to meet up for a beer, coffee or whatever. Meanwhile enjoy KL!

JC3
This is absolutely brilliant! Thank you very much. Before I get to Penang I will let you know, I'll be more than happy to buy a beer or two.... cheers!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
The MM2H Makan nights have been organized by the MM2H site for the last 2+ years. They are usually 2 monthly unless someone on that site specifically requests one.

I'm currently on my dreaded iPad so cannot put any links in but if you go to google and type in:

mm2h Penang support group

First link that should come up is the PSG website. Check on there what is coming up the next few weeks. Usually coffee meetups, outings and the Penang Makan nights.

Second link will probably be the MM2H site my2home.info which is really worth reading if you are thinking about applying for the MM2H visa.

Apart from above, there is really nothing to stop anyone on here starting a new topic on this section of the forum and organizing a meetup yourself.
Thanks a lot Bakedbean. I found the website, I believe the next 'coffee meetup' is on the 26th of Nov. Are guests allowed - I am not a MM2Her yet?
Old Nov 14th 2013, 11:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes absolutely ok. If you want to pop along, please do. I plan on going to that one.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure if this is too soon for you but we are in Penang now. I am a Brit and my wife is Malaysian. We will be driving to KL next Tuesday and staying with the 'outlaws' for a few days. I'm sure we could find some time to meet if you will be in KL. I am 51 btw and still working but digging my escape tunnel as fast asI can.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rusty747
Not sure if this is too soon for you but we are in Penang now. I am a Brit and my wife is Malaysian. We will be driving to KL next Tuesday and staying with the 'outlaws' for a few days. I'm sure we could find some time to meet if you will be in KL. I am 51 btw and still working but digging my escape tunnel as fast asI can.
Thank you for the offer but yes this is a bit early. A friend of mine has decided to join me but can't take time off until 02 December, this is when we will be flying from London. If you're still there on the 3rd, I would be more than happy to meet you.

Dig harder my friend I didn't think I would be thinking about retiring before 55 but circumstances have changed...