New job

Old Oct 13th 2020, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Incognito2411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New job

Good afternoon all

Received a job offer yesterday via Skype, and everything seems great. However, (there's always a but!) I'm supposed to send cost of return flight from UK to Kuala Lumpur to the Company, where they then produce the figure to visa department to enable process of working visa. Once 12 month period with them complete they then reimburse me one way cost back to UK -(the usual allowance).

Reason for this post........ is this legit? Apparently it's a new policy following Covid outbreak with visa issuing department. The Company website seems kosher - quite comprehensive and professional.

Apologies if the above appears somewhat nonsensical.

Many thanks in advance
Old Oct 13th 2020, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job

Scam
Old Oct 14th 2020, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Incognito2411
Good afternoon all

Received a job offer yesterday via Skype, and everything seems great. However, (there's always a but!) I'm supposed to send cost of return flight from UK to Kuala Lumpur to the Company, where they then produce the figure to visa department to enable process of working visa. Once 12 month period with them complete they then reimburse me one way cost back to UK -(the usual allowance).

Reason for this post........ is this legit? Apparently it's a new policy following Covid outbreak with visa issuing department. The Company website seems kosher - quite comprehensive and professional.

Apologies if the above appears somewhat nonsensical.

Many thanks in advance
This sounds very fishy to me.
Given the current situation (and the current sentiment towards foreigners) am I not sure whether any new working visa application will be processed.
And even if you did have a valid working visa it might be that you will not be allowed entry into Malaysia: the government uses a "black list" of nationalities who cannot enter Malaysia, irrespective of visa status. This list was based on the criteria whether a country had more than 150k corona cases detected. Are you using a passport from a country which has more than 150k cases? Then it is extremely unlikely that you will be allowed entry. Independent of where you are actually travelling from.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Yes Scot - this is what I'm thinking!

Sushi - very sound advice, and thanks.

Guess I'll just have to remain in Blighty a little longer
Old Oct 14th 2020, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Scammers play on our need for a job. They make false promises and come up with this kind of scheme to defraud you.. Either plane tickets, or visa processing fee or something else. The rule is never pay out to get a job.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 11:37 am
Just Joined

I've told them where to go and that I've reported them to relevant authorities (haven't because not sure who to contact). Don't see why some other poor unsuspecting victim falls prey to their disgusting scheme.

Think I mentioned earlier that their website looks kosher - gone to a lot of trouble producing something that's professional and seems legit.

Thanks Scot
Old Oct 18th 2020, 11:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've told them where to go and that I've reported them to relevant authorities (haven't because not sure who to contact). Don't see why some other poor unsuspecting victim falls prey to their disgusting scheme.

Think I mentioned earlier that their website looks kosher - gone to a lot of trouble producing something that's professional and seems legit.

Thanks Scot
Good on you for being vigilant and questioning, too many poor souls fall victim to these horrible scammers.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Scouse. Do you happen to know who I can report these charlatans to, in order to avoid others falling for their scams?
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Scouse. Do you happen to know who I can report these charlatans to, in order to avoid others falling for their scams?
Sorry mate, I know there are government/police departments in the UK and Australia who deal with this sort of thing but I don't know about Malaysia. It's so hard to catch these people, which is a pity because I'd like to see them all in prison.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 18th 2020 at 12:36 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Nay worries, thanks all the same for your response - perhaps someone on here will know.

Am not sure if it's allowed on forum but am quite happy to post the name of the Company they are masquerading which may assist in others being shafted.................
Old Oct 18th 2020, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Nay worries, thanks all the same for your response - perhaps someone on here will know.

Am not sure if it's allowed on forum but am quite happy to post the name of the Company they are masquerading which may assist in others being shafted.................
Yes, one of our members in Malaysia may be able to help with a contact. Cyber/telecommunication crime is such a huge 'industry' now, it makes me sick. My 87 year old Mum had one of those 'I'm calling from Microsoft' calls, she's pretty cluey and told him to bog off (in a polite old lady way!). I won't repeat what his response was but it was pretty gross. If the family could have got hold of him he'd wouldn't be trying to scam anyone else!

Thanks for asking about posting the company name, I've asked one of the Mods and they'll respond to that.

I can't claim to be Scouse, that's my husband. I'm his Aussie spouse. Mixed marriage

Old Oct 18th 2020, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: New job

You seem a lovely woman

Look forward to receiving response in order to permit revealing charlatans.

Tell your hubby from one Brit to another........................ 'R.A.' seeing as he's Scouse
Old Oct 18th 2020, 1:35 pm
Concierge

You seem a lovely woman

Look forward to receiving response in order to permit revealing charlatans.

Tell your hubby from one Brit to another........................ 'R.A.' seeing as he's Scouse
Hahahaa, I'm well acquainted with R.A., it's the look our dog used to give us when we caught him out doing something he shouldn't

I do like a chat, Scouse tells me I'll talk to anyone, people in check out queues, random strangers, tramps. He's right! Whereabouts in the UK are you? We'd always planned to move to Liverpool when Scouse retired, we did that in 2015 (the Wirral actually, but still Merseyside). Guess who missed the blue skies so much that we came back to Oz in 2018? Yep, the scouser. I was quite happy there! But I love Australia too.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: New job

Firstly, apologies for referring to you as 'Scouse' as opposed to 'Spouse'

I can well relate to him not wanting to remain in UK given our dire bloody awful weather which will never improve!

Am current based in West Midlands, so brummy land so to speak.

I did live in Dubai for almost 4 years and adored the constant heat and sunshine (who wouldn't?) but alas the company folded and I had to return to Blighty
Old Oct 18th 2020, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Firstly, apologies for referring to you as 'Scouse' as opposed to 'Spouse'

I can well relate to him not wanting to remain in UK given our dire bloody awful weather which will never improve!

Am current based in West Midlands, so brummy land so to speak.

I did live in Dubai for almost 4 years and adored the constant heat and sunshine (who wouldn't?) but alas the company folded and I had to return to Blighty
I don't mind being called a Scouser, they're great people (mostly)

I'm not a fan of the loooong hot summers in Perth, one of the reasons I enjoyed the North of England so much. That's a shame about the Dubai company folding, I hope you find a job somewhere warm soon. Just about anywhere in my part of the world would fit the bill.

The Big Boss has said it's fine for you to post the company name, no names of individual people of course. You're right, it may help someone else from getting caught by the bastards.

Hope to see you around the place, tara a bit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.