Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Need to find info on a malaysian based Company?

Need to find info on a malaysian based Company?

Old Dec 7th 2012, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

umalusdoomalus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to find info on a malaysian based Company?

A job offer has come through from SunEnergy Petroleum in Malaysia. Does anyone know anything about the company other than what i can see on their website?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:04 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to find info on a malaysian based Company?

Hi and welcome to the forum. What exactly are you trying to find out?
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

There's been a lot of news recently about cons relating to fake job offers. Some use the names of real companies while others don't.

Some common characteristics of these job offers:
1. Job offers given based on resumes alone, without any form of interview;
2. Handphone numbers given as official contact numbers;
3. Payment in some form required for visas, no objection certificates, etc. - this is the biggest Red Flag as companies always pay for such requirements in genuine job offers.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

umalusdoomalus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for replies. When searching for the Company it seemed genuine enough but it did seem a bit strange as the offer did include all the red flags that you have described and i was a bit suspicious of it. When you say there has been a lot of news, is this actually in Malaysia or is this a British based con. Does this company actually exist?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umalusdoomalus
Thanks for replies. When searching for the Company it seemed genuine enough but it did seem a bit strange as the offer did include all the red flags that you have described and i was a bit suspicious of it. When you say there has been a lot of news, is this actually in Malaysia or is this a British based con. Does this company actually exist?
This sort of thing has been going on for a number of years. One of my colleagues contacted a few of us about 5 years ago and forwarded an offer he had received. Another thing to watch out for is the standard of English - while there might be the odd spelling mistake, watch out for the grammar too, imo that's a dead giveaway! That was the case with the offer my colleague received. Always remember the old adage, if an offer looks too good to be true, then it usually is!
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

With the internet, conmen can be anywhere. However, there are links to Malaysia, although not necessarily Malaysians.

Searching on the internet, there seems to be a genuine company named Synergy Petroleum.

Search results for Sun Energy (is this one word or two?) Petroleum came up with two addresses, one in Ipoh and one in PJ, but I couldn't find a company website.

What's the company address you've been given? A helpful member who lives in the vicinity may be able to confirm if the company is genuine.

Since you say that all the red flags mentioned were triggered, I don't think that you should pursue it any further. However, you may want to email the info to Audrey at the Star. She's been reporting on several cases in the past couple of weeks.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Another indicator is to see what their company registration numbers are and cross check with the Malaysian version of Companies House:

http://www.ssm.com.my/

This should give further details such as how long the company has been operating, director names etc.

Regards
Abdul
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Baby Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by umalusdoomalus
A job offer has come through from SunEnergy Petroleum in Malaysia. Does anyone know anything about the company other than what i can see on their website?
I to received the same offer and bells that say something is to good to be true usually are rang quite loudly so let deadline lapse.
Good Luck & Kind Regards.