Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:01 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice about replacing the slow modem provided by Streamyx

Poolie
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You ........bakedbean and your most welcome Gunnar
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

8888riviera is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Poolie
I did read your previous post before it was deleted and I am very grateful for that information. As the wifi connection to my Sonos system was always dropping out I was getting very frustrated with the TM modem as I felt I was not getting value for money from TM but since getting a new modem/ router I can now stream music without any dropouts and also the wifi is more stable. We have also use the TP link to extend wirelessly to the other rooms in the unit which previously was only confined to the living room area. Many thanks for your post which made me sort the dropout problem with the poor quality modem provided by TM.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

PoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond reputePoolieAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Great News and many thanks for letting me know the TP link worked and you are now streaming all over the place and not dropping out as much.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoolieAbroad
Many thanks for the reply and advice roystevenung
Unfortunately my original message was edited and removed the link to the modem I was using.....its a well known brand very good and reliable.
Hence my original message did not come over correctly or make too much sense.
I have no worries at all in making a few mouse clicks when TM in their infinite wisdom change my IP about once in 6 weeks . My VPN likes me to set the IP to work properly and as its dynamic TM will change it now and again.
The point I was making is that the TM DLink modems are pretty rubbish and unreliable constantly giving a new IP.
I was the person that recommended a brand and I was actually giving the exact model to the person who started the thread.
But the link was unfortunately deleted
I wont add links or name names but a computer shop will help those in need of better equipment than provided by TM.
Just call me Roy, Poolie.

That is how Dynamic IP should work. Whenever the modem is switched off or power cycle (reset), you will be given a new IP from TM.

Hence, it could be the TNB (electric company's fault) for not providing stable power and not so much on the modem being lousy

The way to overcome the Dynamic IP changes is by registering a DDNS which I had mentioned above.

For example if you have a CCTV or IP camera installed. Instead of accessing your home CCTV by the 60.xx.xx.xx address, you could have a www dot pooliehomecctv dot dlinkddns dot org.

This enables you to view your home or even monitor your businesses from anywhere in the world.

The types of packages that TM offers could be viewed here.
https://www.tm.com.my/AboutTM/NewsRe...-23012013.aspx

Fixed IP are normally used by companies which needs to host server applications.

But yes, I do agree that the TM modems are el-cheapo, especially the WiFi. That is why they give free modems I suppose
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all that Roy but I see TM want over 800 Rm a month for a fixed IP..wow that's some charge!
I currently have the 8 Mbps pack with the dynamic IP and its various downsides and so far since getting the new modem/router we have been running without too much in the way of problems.
I do run CCTV but through a locally fixed IP on the DVR itself and then via i-dvr.net.
Now this used to handle the changes in the TM IP by itself but recently we ( being my neighbour and I who also went the TP Link router way now) have needed to go into their site and update the IP when it changes from TM.
Luckily this can be done from any computer or even smart phones
We don't switch the modem off at all and they are sitting on a laptop cooler to prevent overheating. I usually set downloading off to run overnight.
I am now going to spend a bit of time trying to understand the NoIP solution to see how I can work this on my systems..........
I need to be careful not to make a mess and ruin my DNS link to the UK.
I have had a bad habit of fiddling before and locking myself out of various bits of the home system!!!
Many thanks again and I certainly have a whole new subject to study.
Funny how much we can learn even as we get older!!!!
Cheers again.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all that Roy but I see TM want over 800 Rm a month for a fixed IP..wow that's some charge!
I currently have the 8 Mbps pack with the dynamic IP and its various downsides and so far since getting the new modem/router we have been running without too much in the way of problems.
I do run CCTV but through a locally fixed IP on the DVR itself and then via i-dvr.net.
Now this used to handle the changes in the TM IP by itself but recently we ( being my neighbour and I who also went the TP Link router way now) have needed to go into their site and update the IP when it changes from TM.
Luckily this can be done from any computer or even smart phones
We don't switch the modem off at all and they are sitting on a laptop cooler to prevent overheating. I usually set downloading off to run overnight.
I am now going to spend a bit of time trying to understand the NoIP solution to see how I can work this on my systems..........
I need to be careful not to make a mess and ruin my DNS link to the UK.
I have had a bad habit of fiddling before and locking myself out of various bits of the home system!!!
Many thanks again and I certainly have a whole new subject to study.
Funny how much we can learn even as we get older!!!!
Cheers again.
Sorry, I forgot to include the link on how to get the DDNS working on TP-link. Perhaps this link will explains it much better

How to Setup DDNS (No-IP) on TP-LINK Wireless Router - Welcome to TP-LINK
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Great Thanks a million Roy
Now if I may just ask a dumb question or two?
Once I register for NoIP and set the DDNS in the router. (I got the web page and that is very straight forward. I have no problems arranging port triggers etc as I have done that before.)
Can I then assume that makes all the other equipment 'think' the IP is never changing and thus will work seamlessly?
Everything is basically handled by the router.
So no changes to PC/laptops/cctv cameras/smartphones settings would be required?
If that is so I am on that first thing tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great Thanks a million Roy
Now if I may just ask a dumb question or two?
Once I register for NoIP and set the DDNS in the router. (I got the web page and that is very straight forward. I have no problems arranging port triggers etc as I have done that before.)
Can I then assume that makes all the other equipment 'think' the IP is never changing and thus will work seamlessly?
Everything is basically handled by the router.
So no changes to PC/laptops/cctv cameras/smartphones settings would be required?
If that is so I am on that first thing tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
You are most welcome to ask Poolie.

The purpose of setting the DDNS in the router is to update the domain (that you registered with noip) with the new IP everytime TM assigns you with a new dynamic IP.

If the DDNS is set correctly, the router will automatically update the new IP whenever the router is restarted.

Updating the IP manually is not a problem if you are on your home WiFi, but if you are having a holiday and the modem resets, it would be near to impossible to know what is the new IP that TM provides you.

This is solved by having the DDNS setting in the router. It will automatically update the WAN IP to the domain.

The port forwarding is for the communication between the CCTV and the Router. Since you got the port forwarding to work on your local WiFi, it should work externally as well.

After setting up the DDNS, you will need to borrow your neighbours WiFi (or from your phone 3g data service) to simulate looking at your CCTV from outside your WiFi.

Bottomline, if you are outside of your network, you need to use the noip domain name to logon. If you are within your own network, you need to use the 192.168.xxx.xxx to view your CCTV.

I hope I am making sense as English is not my main language ...
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Roy
Thanks again
I am getting to be a lot more informed about what I have and need now.
I have already access to the cctv over the smartphone anywhere in the world as I have a DDNS set via i-dvr.net which is one of the choices available to me in the DVR set up
NoIP is another choice that is offered inside the system.
So what it seems I have is a DDNS already installed here!!!
I really had no idea I had and am grateful for your time and efforts
Your English is as perfect as mine!! probbaly better!!and its my first and really only serviceable way of communicating other than coffee shop Malay. ( oh and some VERY rusty basic Mandarin)
Bottom line is I have a DDNS already working and did not realise it.
I can see my current IP through the web even when away via i.dvr.net or through my UK DNS company 'My Private Network' website.
It would seem in my blind ignorance of all things IT I have already done the things you asked me to try!
Sorry its all been around the houses but until your last message I did not realise what I had!!
I am very grateful for your time and efforts Roy its been an education for me!
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

No problem Poolie. Glad I could provide you some info.