British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   My Malaysia/Penang posts moved from "blog" thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/my-malaysia-penang-posts-moved-blog-thread-720106/)

joamelie Mar 22nd 2011 12:50 am

My Malaysia/Penang posts moved from "blog" thread.

We got a copy of Kuala Lumpur Complete Resident's Guide before we moved out...it was obviously more relevant to us because we were coming out to KL, but it had some great bits in there about how to pay your bills, house rental contracts, driving, car buying/leasing, and things that apply further afield than KL. Might be worth finding out a copy.

Atilla Mar 22nd 2011 8:48 am

Re: My Malaysia/Penang 'Blog'

Thanks, I just looked at that on Amazon. I had one for Abu Dhabi and they were very good. I notice the current one is 2008 so what I may do is wait a little while, maybe before my next trip, to see if they do an updated one, though I doubt much will change.

Atilla Mar 24th 2011 9:24 am

Decided to buy it. Thanks for the pointer.

Atilla Mar 26th 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks very much. I have a link to yours too, another very enjoyable read. Pity I'll miss you on this trip, next time I hope. Did you see the thread on boating clothing?

Strider24 Mar 26th 2011 5:00 pm

Boating Clothing? Nup missed it. Have to go have another look. Which heading is it under?
Sorry to miss you this time round, but hope it wont be too long before we catch up.

the troubadour Mar 27th 2011 1:54 am

Anyone living outside the more popular ex pat centres of Kl and Penang? Have been looking into Pahang,but have aquired only limited up to the date information at the moment.

TopHattedCat Apr 26th 2011 6:36 am

Hi Strider & Atilla,

Thank you for those kind words :)

@ Strider, I see from your blog you took the train to Bangkok and it sounded like 'an experience' :eek:

The one & only train trip I have undertaken in SE Asia is the 'Jungle railway' from Johor to Kota Bharu & it was fantastic. The first 5/6 hours are fairly mundane but once you reach Pahang & Kelantan the scenery is fantastic. Kota Bharu is great for a couple of days too.

I also share your love of Penang & I never tire of looking at photos (like the ones on your blog) of the fascinating buildings & people around Georgetown. I have been in Penang 5 years now & I love life here.

@ Atilla, I agree with your opinion on Bagan Bar, it is probably the best place to hang out in the Gurney area, the setting & ambience are fantastic. I didn't realise they are planning to re-locate, it will be difficult to replace the special atmosphere in there, is re-location for business reasons or are there other factors?

I have not been to the Blue Reef restaurant you recommend, does it have an extensive menu? I have been to Straits Quay only once to visit Finnegans & it looks like an up & coming area.

After reading your restaurants page I have added No Eyed Deer & Madras New Woodlands to my list of places I must eat at :thumbup:

Strider24 Apr 26th 2011 8:08 am

Hi TopHattedCat,

Yeah love bumming around. The Bangkok train trip was fun, even if the seat going up was a bit hard. I would definitely go 3rd class again as its so much more fun. The Jungle railway is one I have always wanted to do. In June my oldest friend (met when I was 5) comes up for 3 weeks with his wife, and that trip is on the menu. Thought of driving over Cameron's to Gua Musang, jump the train up the line and back, then on via Felda to the unofficial highway around Lake Kenyir and across to Terengganu then down the coast to Mersing, over to Malacca, then north again.;)

bakedbean Apr 26th 2011 8:44 am

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9326573)

After reading your restaurants page I have added No Eyed Deer & Madras New Woodlands to my list of places I must eat at :thumbup:

My personal faves at No Eyed Deer are the Laotian Laksa (verrrrry spicy) and the Mutton Rhogan Josh Biriani. I don't know why Ken puts Mutton 'cause it's very tender lamb. They do a lot of Western dishes too. It's a a fairly casual eatery but does have aircon - important sometimes. There's a website - just google.

I'm not sure that Blue Reef has a website - strange. They are on facebook though and lots of nice pics of the food on there. Just do a search on facebook. You should find it.

Ooops bit orf topic - this is supposed to be about Blogs, sorry :( I can talk food all day.

TopHattedCat Apr 26th 2011 12:33 pm

Ooops! Apologies if I have inadvertently guided off topic.

@ strider, that sounds like a fantastic trip you have planned there. If you could start the journey a bit further south in Kuala Lipis you would be starting at the point of the journey where it begins to get interesting, but that would mean driving an extra 100km & its probably not worth it as from Gua Musang onwards is the best part. Are you planning to stay one night in Kota Bharu or return straight away? The Kota Bharu heritage trail is great as there are some fantastic museums & palaces to see there. I would look forward to seeing your photos after that trip; Lake Kenyir, Terengganu, Mersing, Malacca... You may have to increase bandwidth to accommodate them all :)

@ baked bean, many thanks for your kind words
My wife has already looked at the No Eyed Deer website & gaining her approval has escalated our wish to visit, thanks for the tips. Ever since I've been in Malaysia I have never seen Lamb on a menu, it is always mutton, I too have never got to the bottom of that particular conundrum.

Atilla Apr 26th 2011 1:53 pm

@Bakedbean: She was at work when I was posting

@THC: She's not now so I'll get back to you tomorrow LOL. PIcked up a menu from Blue Reef today so will will update the blog tomorrow I suspect. I have time between Penang working hours starting and agent picking me up, then working hours finishing. It's a tough life :-)

ex reg Apr 26th 2011 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9327158)

Ever since I've been in Malaysia I have never seen Lamb on a menu, it is always mutton, I too have never got to the bottom of that particular conundrum.

Well I can tell you the answer from two restaurants in Malacca, 'The Taragon' and 'Harpers'.
They both show lamb shanks on the menu iirc but they tell me they can only get mutton in Malaysia and not lamb so have stopped serving the dish.
They can both get some great oysters though, so why they can't get lamb who knows.

Ditto with Peranakan restaurants in Malacca which save for one do not serve pork dishes even though pork is the great mainstay of Peranakan cuisine.
They tell you they want to make their restaurant open for malays but I've never seen a malay in a Peranakan restauant any time during our many visits.

Atilla Apr 27th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9326573)

@ Atilla, I agree with your opinion on Bagan Bar, it is probably the best place to hang out in the Gurney area, the setting & ambience are fantastic. I didn't realise they are planning to re-locate, it will be difficult to replace the special atmosphere in there, is re-location for business reasons or are there other factors?

I have not been to the Blue Reef restaurant you recommend, does it have an extensive menu? I have been to Straits Quay only once to visit Finnegans & it looks like an up & coming area.

Hi THC

Outside Happy hour the menu at Blue Reef is quite extensive, obviously there is an emphasis on fish with traditional fish and chips, grilled and steamed fish also being available along with lobster etc. They also have a few chicken, lamb, beef and pasta dishes. Dishes range between RM 20 - RM 40 with most at the lower end of that range. Their Happy Hours which seems to affect just the drinks prices are 10:00 - 12:00; 15:00 - 18:00 and 22:00 - 01:00. Oddly though, the opening times are 11:00am to 11:00pm?? Go figure lah :confused:

Just bear in mind with No Eyed Dear, closed Tuesday.

TopHattedCat Apr 27th 2011 11:18 am

@ ex reg, would you recommend the 2 restaurants you mentioned in your example about Lamb?

@ atilla, Thanks for info on the Blue Reef.
It will be interesting to see where Bagan re-locates to. In Georgetown they will have better options to extend their opening hours, I went to go there at about 12.30am a few weeks ago & it was closed (this was a weekday).

Is it the Hai Nan restaurant by the jetty (QE2) in Georgetown you are going to? I'd be interested in your opinion on that restaurant, will you include it in your blog?

I just bought tickets to watch Thor in 3d @ Queensbay tomorrow, it's the opening night & I'm really looking forward to the movie, I remember buying many Marvel comics featuring Thor when I was a kid.

ex reg Apr 27th 2011 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9329263)
@ ex reg, would you recommend the 2 restaurants you mentioned in your example about Lamb?

It will be interesting to see where Bagan re-locates to.

The Taragon is the better of the two.
Harpers unfortunately is not anywhere as nice as it was.
Both are in great locations next to the river.
Taragon will let you BYO wine if you ask beforehand.

Neither restaurant is as good as Bagan which we've always enjoyed the half dozen or so times we've been there, although it seemed to be a bit more expensive the last time we went.

BTW there's a seafood restaurant about 20m ish away from Bagan which we have tried once and found quite good and will go again when next in Penang.