I am moving to KL in October and needs some information if possible
Would I need to apply for a different visa for my wife
Do I need medical insurance
Whish bank should is use
How do I register for a doctor or dentist
Where is best place to live for expats

I'm sure there are many more questions

We can't wait to live in such a beautiful country

What immigration/visa status will you have in Malaysia?
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from the UK to Kuala Lumpur

Originally Posted by Jayjo
Hi all I hope you can help
I am moving to KL in October and needs some information if possible
Would I need to apply for a different visa for my wife
Do I need medical insurance
Whish bank should is use
How do I register for a doctor or dentist
Where is best place to live for expats

I'm sure there are many more questions

We can't wait to live in such a beautiful country
Hi, what visa u use to live in Malaysia?
Working Visa or MM2H.
MM2H visa required you to buy a medical insurance.
Work visa I guess the company will buy u an insurance.
I would suggest u to use Local bank like CIMB, Maybank, Public Bank because easy for you to find the bank to do your transaction.
You can just walk in any hospital, clinic, or dentist to register using your passport.
Normally new expats will stay in Ampang which near to KLCC or Month Kiara.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned above to help people give you better answers you need to be more specific in your reasons for being in KL, if its a company transfer then most of these will be self explanatory, like medical etc, you've not mentioned if you are working or retiring, both these could have a huge impact on where you would end up living, & the cost.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Jayjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiat137
Hi, what visa u use to live in Malaysia?
Working Visa or MM2H.
MM2H visa required you to buy a medical insurance.
Work visa I guess the company will buy u an insurance.
I would suggest u to use Local bank like CIMB, Maybank, Public Bank because easy for you to find the bank to do your transaction.
You can just walk in any hospital, clinic, or dentist to register using your passport.
Normally new expats will stay in Ampang which near to KLCC or Month Kiara.
Many thanks for the info much appreciated ..if my company doesn't do my wifes visa what steps do I
take
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by man from emas
As mentioned above to help people give you better answers you need to be more specific in your reasons for being in KL, if its a company transfer then most of these will be self explanatory, like medical etc, you've not mentioned if you are working or retiring, both these could have a huge impact on where you would end up living, & the cost.
Hi good point I will be transferring from the UK with the company I work for with my wife . This is our first work move outside of the UK and will be supported by the company I work for but unclear on the basics I.e visas for my with (not sure what steps need taken as I am still in discussion with the company ) I have med insurance with the company not sure if this is enough I will be based in KL but want to live outside it as the role is national with various sites across the country . My wife works for the same company but wont be working when we arrive but may take a job at a later date
Old Jul 24th 2016, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

man from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond reputeman from emas has a reputation beyond repute

you have answered some of your own questions.

The company must be responsible for your permit & the same for your wife either she has a working permit or a dependent pass, this will depend on many variables like qualifications etc.

The company should without a doubt include housing or give you allowance, prices like any city centre are expensive, but it saves commuting hassle.

Where you live will greatly depend on where your company's office is, if your wife needs to travel every day then once you know the office location, study the light rail network don't think about her driving to work each day, its either walk / bus / tube.

Medical private facilities in KL are good, impossible to comment further without knowing where you will end up, there are many large out of town & in city centre shopping malls.

Driving commuting in KL can be horrendous & the driving here is something of an acquired art, best avoided if possible.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:22 am
Just Joined

you have answered some of your own questions.

The company must be responsible for your permit & the same for your wife either she has a working permit or a dependent pass, this will depend on many variables like qualifications etc.

The company should without a doubt include housing or give you allowance, prices like any city centre are expensive, but it saves commuting hassle.

Where you live will greatly depend on where your company's office is, if your wife needs to travel every day then once you know the office location, study the light rail network don't think about her driving to work each day, its either walk / bus / tube.

Medical private facilities in KL are good, impossible to comment further without knowing where you will end up, there are many large out of town & in city centre shopping malls.

Driving commuting in KL can be horrendous & the driving here is something of an acquired art, best avoided if possible.
Hiband thank you ... My wife wont be working when we come over but may do at some point .. The company I work for is based in shah alam and but has other facilities north and south of KL so I will have to drive ... We have looked at rental properties around Shah alam and would look to live around this area ... Access to KL is important and hopefully within or around an expat area so we can get into a social scene
Old Jul 24th 2016, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

I can't agree more with the "man from emas". The daily KL commute is a nightmare. You should minimise your daily commute as far as possible. It is far better to drive when required to access KLCC or other areas (Bangsar) than to live there and suffer hours every day getting to and from work.

Scratcher
Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Scratcher
I can't agree more with the "man from emas". The daily KL commute is a nightmare. You should minimise your daily commute as far as possible. It is far better to drive when required to access KLCC or other areas (Bangsar) than to live there and suffer hours every day getting to and from work.

Scratcher
Scratcher many thanks
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

kiat137 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jayjo
Many thanks for the info much appreciated ..if my company doesn't do my wifes visa what steps do I
take
You can bring along your wife and children below 21 years old under your working visa. Your company should help you put them in together.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

I've never worked in KL but have passed through stayed there in friends & hotels over many years, we were there last weekend at friends, but I do not know the Shah Alam area, at least its on the outside (west) of the E6 ring-road so traffic may not be so terrible there, I've been around the E6 (between E1 & E2 north south highways) many times at all times of the day but never really stuck up bad, others may have other opinions.

Your biggest concern will need to be security of where you live, very doubtful you will want to rent a little house in a little road like you might in UK, you need to get yourself into a GATED & fenced security community, these again can vary from very good to very bad. Normally a company will put you into a service apartment or hotel for a couple of weeks to find your feet, estate agents as you know them in UK are a different breed over here, so that almost certainly the company will have a list of reliable agents to deal with, same with rental contracts these are normally vetted by company to ensure nobody is being ripped off.

If you've not already done so look at Google Mudah / Malaysia / property / KL then your district this will give you some idea of what available & pricing, another one Property Guru same again KL / Shah Alam, I don't know the expat areas in that part of KL.

Doctors dentists will be the least of your problems, normally again the company will have a recommended list, as health insurance & repatriation should form a part of the package.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

I've never worked in KL but have passed through stayed there in friends & hotels over many years, we were there last weekend at friends, but I do not know the Shah Alam area, at least its on the outside (west) of the E6 ring-road so traffic may not be so terrible there, I've been around the E6 (between E1 & E2 north south highways) many times at all times of the day but never really stuck up bad, others may have other opinions.

Your biggest concern will need to be security of where you live, very doubtful you will want to rent a little house in a little road like you might in UK, you need to get yourself into a GATED & fenced security community, these again can vary from very good to very bad. Normally a company will put you into a service apartment or hotel for a couple of weeks to find your feet, estate agents as you know them in UK are a different breed over here, so that almost certainly the company will have a list of reliable agents to deal with, same with rental contracts these are normally vetted by company to ensure nobody is being ripped off.

If you've not already done so look at Google Mudah / Malaysia / property / KL then your district this will give you some idea of what available & pricing, another one Property Guru same again KL / Shah Alam, I don't know the expat areas in that part of KL.

Doctors dentists will be the least of your problems, normally again the company will have a recommended list, as health insurance & repatriation should form a part of the package.
Great information many thanks .... Should I be worried loln
Old Jul 25th 2016, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

almost certainly the company will have a list of reliable agents to deal with, same with rental contracts these are normally vetted by company to ensure nobody is being ripped off.
To get on company lists many agents are vetted at expensive restaurants or around the time of Chinese New Year or Christmas, at the very least.
This is usually done annually.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

No you should be worried, or paranoid about safety but you must be aware, & have your priorities right, I know of one estate that has security barrier on the road, with guard, but nothing on the pavements or any form of fencing, all they are trying to do is stop it being used as a parking lot, hence this is very poor security & something you might not realize. You have to understand generally the Malaysians are friendly people thats why many people like myself retire here, but to drive the enormous building projects, plantations jobs, & other low non skilled jobs that nobody else whats so there are millions of illegal workers here.

KL like rest of Malaysia is prone to very heavy almost violent heavy rain, some parts of KL & its suburbs are very prone to flooding, some areas often seem to have water shortages (tap water),these issues need to high on your alert list not dentist.

When you arrive you are bound to spend awhile in taxis no doubt before you start to drive, & you will observe the differences in the driving habits of both 4 wheels & 2 wheels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.