British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to Penang - March 2011 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-penang-march-2011-a-702108/)

Scrasey2 Jan 24th 2011 12:50 pm

Moving to Penang - March 2011

Hi everyone,

I am currently preparing to pack up and move to Penang for between a year to 3 years. My Husband has been offered a secondment and we've jumped at the opportunity!

We were in Penang last year but only for 2 days before we headed over to New Zealand to see my in-laws and loved it so had no doubts about agreeing to move there.

I won't be working so will have lots of time on my hands after a good workout at the gym and a swim in the mornings.

Is there anyone else living in Penang who doesn't work? Do you belong to the International Women's Institute or do you have other things to occupy your time?

I like my own company so will be quite happy pottering round on my own most of the time but would love to meet up with people a few times a week.

We will be living in the Gurney Drive area - I rather like the look of Mutiara Villas but until we've looked round in person we're not sure where we'll be living yet.

If anyone has some advice or is in the same situation I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Sarah

Strider24 Jan 24th 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Moving to Penang - March 2011

Hi Sarah and welcome,

There are heaps of expats in Penang and no doubt will give sensible replies. While I live in KL, I have just bought a place beside the water at Miami Green (before Batu Ferringghi) in a condo with a very large number of expats, nice pool, good gym, squash, badminton etc. A large number are retired, so also not working. Foods great and English is widely spoken. Prices can be a bit higher than parts of KL or country centres, but with the likes of Tesco about to open a big store northside, I think prices will become more attractive:thumbup:

bakedbean Jan 25th 2011 3:03 am

Oh crikey Sarah, there are tons of us in the northern part of the island. You will not have any problems meeting expats, and the locals are very nice too.

I think there's a website for the IWA. Just google IWA Penang and you'll find it. I don't belong to it but know a couple of people who do. I guess it's okay if you like that sort of thing. Personally, I've had no problem meeting people and met a lot of people through this independent website too

http://www.my2home.info/index.php

It's actually a site for MM2Hers but you'll find some sub-sections on Penang and various aspects of life in Malaysia. Just have a good browse around on there.

Scrasey2 Jan 25th 2011 6:05 am

Thanks very much both of you!

I can't wait to move - roll on 1 March!

bakedbean Apr 8th 2011 4:21 am

How are you getting on? Is it hot enough for you?

Scrasey2 Apr 13th 2011 4:13 am

Just about settled in now thanks!

I had a friend come to visit at beginning of April and we would set off at 7.30 am then have to be inside with air con by 11 am as so hot!!

Lovely compared to the weather back in England though!!

bakedbean Apr 13th 2011 4:20 am

You do get used to it gradually but, having said that, this is probably the hottest and most humid time of the year I believe, with the build up to the south west monsoon. Was in my car yesterday and the outside temperature read 37 degrees :eek: and it's very humid too. Temperature will come down a bit once the big rains start.

saramartin Apr 28th 2011 7:47 am

I think that you may discuss about your planning before moving Penang.:)

bakedbean Apr 28th 2011 8:21 am

Hi Sara. It may well be that my poor little brain has melted today, but I'm not quite with you. Are you moving to Penang too?