Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Malaysia April 2013

Moving to Malaysia April 2013

Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:54 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Malaysia April 2013

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Run by Australians then
And yet you live there....
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
And yet you live there....
hence the comment

I will have to write a book one day
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

akee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really niceakee is just really nice

How about trying some of the animal clinics in the country. Or for a start getting to know your way around perhaps try the SPCA and move from there. The other is to partner with pet shops, they sell the animals, you help maintain them.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Nemodot, you don't sound like a happy bunny. Do you enjoy Malaysia? Or do you see this as a stopping off point before somewhere else?

Note that you seem to be working, rather than a layabout like me, so quite different situation.
I love KL, prefer it to UK. I am only pointing out the factual issues with some schools for example. Raffelasia and Tropicana won't open this year I know for sure and Epsom had to do a lot of apologising. Tropicana are saying Sep 2015 now but I don't believe it as too many powerful people say no.

An Indian friend told me Indians say two things about Malaysia.

Malaysians have carefully blended together carefully all the WORST things of all cultures in Asia and made it their own! (especially in work - corruption - Indian, nepotism - Indonesian, greedy short term management - Chinese etc etc)

And

Malaysia is a first world country with third world thinking (very true )

Work is work and you need to know that in Malaysia - luckily now I avoid all that as work as mostly away from local Muppet like behaviour although I sometimes have to deal with Muppet managers who should be cleaning the toilets not managing major companies. However, as friends from long ago realised working in KL can be crazy and inefficient at times, but lifestyle is overall better. Just don't get miuppetised if you work in business here! Met gwilo's who end up worse than locals - corrupt little sh1ts - one must up hold British standards!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 7:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nemodot

I certainly wouldn't describe Lim Guan Eng's thinking as third world.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread, good luck to the OP
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Jonovic is an unknown quantity at this point

Excuse me , I want to clarify one obvious fact....Malaysia is still a THIRD world country , guys!...who said Malaysia is a first world country ?

I repeat Malaysia is still a THIRD world country.

Malaysia aims to be a FIRST WORLD country by 2020...(Anyone here ever hear about the VISION 2020 master plan by Malaysia gov?)

What i seen nowdays is most unhappy Malaysian/or unhappy visitors/expat expect Malaysia provide them a FIRST world service for them by paying a third world price... yikes!!

In a meantime the fact is Malaysia is still a THIRD world country, not until 2020.

Check the World Economic Report if you still in doubt. Most Malaysian know this fact, but they just keep comparing Malaysia with a FIRST world country.

And you know what..the WORST PART is...some EXPATS from FIRST WORLD COUNTRY...HAVE A MIND SET OF THIRD WORLD COUNTRY working here!! (no wonder the country not keen to have more type of these expats working here....)

but luckly some expats form a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY have a FIRST WORLD MIND SET WORKING HERE!!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Jonovic is an unknown quantity at this point

An Indian friend told me Indians say two things about Malaysia.

Malaysians have carefully blended together carefully all the WORST things of all cultures in Asia and made it their own! (especially in work - corruption - Indian, nepotism - Indonesian, greedy short term management - Chinese etc etc)

Ohhh..for your Indian friend .let's him read a quote from Dale Carnegie, author of “How to Win Friends and Influence People”.....

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."

p/s :Nemodot, I think as you come from FIRST WORLD COUNTRY , you're way of 'thinking' is not the same as your Indian friend right ?.. If so, forget about the first and third world mentality after all..there's no difference!.LOL
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it would be very nice and helpful if everyone could assist the OP with her queries, on this fine Monday morning
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapinou
Hello the 20 year old enthusiast,

One thing important you need to be aware of. You said you are going on a one way ticket on your 90 day visa to Malaysia - most likely they will not let you in at the Immgiration point once you arrive as they will think you are not a genuine visitor and will overstay your visa. You need either to have a return ticket OR have a visa valid for few months or years (like a working visa). One young girl travelling with one way ticket on a 90 day tourist visa is too suspisious. You can be detained and then put back on the plane to the UK. In that case you will be back sooner than you think. I am dead serious.

cheers
lapinou
Well, for what it's worth.... my wife and I arrived on Saturday, 9th March on single tickets and I did not have a visa. When we left Birmingham (UK), the girl at the check-in desk had to phone someone to ensure that I would be O.K. Apparently, the guidance for Malaysia is that you "should" (not must) have a return or onward ticket, so they allowed me to travel. I have never previously been asked to show a return ticket, and the lady on immigration didn't ask this time. I had to provide fingerprints of both forefingers and then got my passport stamped for 90 days. Haven't applied for visa yet, (too busy unpacking etc.) but am hoping to do so this week. OK so I'm not female, and not in my 20's, but I was still allowed in! ;-)
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:19 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Bluenose1 glad to see you have landed OK and hope all your chattles arrived safely. Occasionally I have looked at one way tickets for the price and found them more expensive than a return ticket. Maybe that's not always the case. The only time a bought 2 for a flight to Japan via HK, they were not going to allow me to fly at first but I dropped the name of the company associated with my work and eventually the supervisor rationalised the situation in that he only had to worry about the flight to HK and I had a ticket flying out of HK after 2 days stay and on to Japan, so it considered it not to be his problem. It was 'touch and go'. I am no expert on these matters but someone might be able to answer this question - taking the worst case scenario and you were put back on a plane to UK, would they insist you pay for the ticket before letting you board?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovite
Bluenose1 glad to see you have landed OK and hope all your chattles arrived safely. Occasionally I have looked at one way tickets for the price and found them more expensive than a return ticket. Maybe that's not always the case. The only time a bought 2 for a flight to Japan via HK, they were not going to allow me to fly at first but I dropped the name of the company associated with my work and eventually the supervisor rationalised the situation in that he only had to worry about the flight to HK and I had a ticket flying out of HK after 2 days stay and on to Japan, so it considered it not to be his problem. It was 'touch and go'. I am no expert on these matters but someone might be able to answer this question - taking the worst case scenario and you were put back on a plane to UK, would they insist you pay for the ticket before letting you board?
Chattels fine thanks, Hovite! I agree about the cost of one-way flights being very expensive. Only reason we did it that way is because we were able to use Airmiles to book Business Class. It cost £265 to transfer some mile from me to my wife and then another £390 (roughly) in taxes. So all-in, 2 single Business Class flights for under £700! To try to answer your question (I'm no expert) in these situations, I thought it was the airline who had to pay, as in effect they broke any rules there are by allowing you to travel in the first place. Whether that would mean you could return in the same class, of course, is a different matter ;-)
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:33 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to read the chattels are fine, Bluenose1 and that you got such a good deal through Airmiles. You are probably right that the airline would pay, which would explain why the manager was so nervous in my case. maybe Meganalicefoot meant it colloquially? Difficult to see why any first timer would want to buy a one way ticket bearing in mind the cost and potential hassle. In any event it will be interesting to read how she gets on, assuming she is flying
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

LEONGMY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meganalicefoot
I have qualifications in various subjects ranging from working with disabled children
Some minor nursing qualifications eg; tube feeding, traceaostomy
Most of my qualifications are in animal work
Farm management
Animal nutrition
Animal behaviour
Animal anatomy
Animal nursing

Also have qualifications in business and communication

Thanks for all your feedback you're all a great help
I am still coming over there though as my tickets are booked
My son is studying in an international school here in Johor Bahru. I suppose you can apply to teach English as a native speaker. I think it is not difficult to get a job to teach English, or teaching in PYP.

What do you guys think of my suggestion? My son is in PYP1 of this IB School, only one in Johor Bahru. Drop me a message if you are keen.

HAHA May be can I get a referal fee too... LOL
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

LEONGMY is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Moving to Malaysia April 2013

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
Well, for what it's worth.... my wife and I arrived on Saturday, 9th March on single tickets and I did not have a visa. When we left Birmingham (UK), the girl at the check-in desk had to phone someone to ensure that I would be O.K. Apparently, the guidance for Malaysia is that you "should" (not must) have a return or onward ticket, so they allowed me to travel. I have never previously been asked to show a return ticket, and the lady on immigration didn't ask this time. I had to provide fingerprints of both forefingers and then got my passport stamped for 90 days. Haven't applied for visa yet, (too busy unpacking etc.) but am hoping to do so this week. OK so I'm not female, and not in my 20's, but I was still allowed in! ;-)
You probably better off flying to to Singapore and take land transport to Malaysia. Singapore is less stringent of UK Visitors coming in and Checkpoints in Johor Bahru coming in by Land from Singapore can't be bothered with whoever comes in! you don't even need to fill any embarkation forms. Just hand over the passport and they give you a 30 days stamp. Spin over to Singapore and back, you'll have another 30 days.

I have friends doing this for years. My Maid from Singapore has been doing this for 8 months. I just moved over to stay in Malaysia since August last year. No issues. No questions ask at the Immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.