British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-malaysia-930705/)

GRP Jan 29th 2020 8:30 am

Moving to Malaysia

HI Community

I am looking to move to Malaysia with my wife.

I will travel a lot and will need to be in Singapore and KL mainly with other trips to the rest of the world, so need somewhere safe and secure for my family while i am away.

Am thinking would be good somewhere on the coast between KL and Singapore with good access to KL airport.

Would like something like a villa with a pool and/or on a beach.

Are there any locations that you would recommend that would be suitable?

Gary

OriginalSunshine Jan 29th 2020 10:17 am

Re: Moving to Malaysia

Do you have children? Will they need schooling?

GRP Jan 30th 2020 1:46 am

Children are 32 and 30 - still need schooling but will not listen to me.

Seriously - we will have visitors but not schooling needs.

ex reg Jan 30th 2020 2:39 am

You will definitely feel your wife is safer if you live in Singapore.

The more expensive your accommodation is the more likely it is to be burgled.
Not only that but daily living, supermarket visits, doctor's surgery, dental, restaurants etc etc while available on the coast between Singapore and Malaysia, say in Malacca and Port Dickson are much below the standard you will find in Singapore.
I've lived in JB and Singapore and holidayed in Malacca and Port Dickson, many times.
There is only one place you would be happy to leave your wife while away on business.
imo.

GRP Jan 30th 2020 8:28 am

Thank you

Gunnar45 Jan 30th 2020 9:15 am

If Singapore for some reason is not the first option for residence, then Penang could be a place to consider.
Good flight connections to KL, Singapore and international.
Lots of condos available for sale or rent with facilities like pool, gym, etc and better security than in a landed property.
Excellent health care facilities.
And a quite a big expat community.
Not as perfect and high quality as Singapore, but also not so over regulated and costly.

ex reg Jan 30th 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12798424)
If Singapore for some reason is not the first option for residence, then Penang could be a place to consider.
Good flight connections to KL, Singapore and international.
Lots of condos available for sale or rent with facilities like pool, gym, etc and better security than in a landed property.
Excellent health care facilities.
And a quite a big expat community.
Not as perfect and high quality as Singapore, but also not so over regulated and costly.

I agree that Penang is a good alternative.

But fmi what do you mean by overly regulated.

Gunnar45 Jan 31st 2020 12:09 am

ex reg,
'Overly regulated',
It is a personal opinion on the price of perfectionism.

ex reg Jan 31st 2020 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12798911)
ex reg,
'Overly regulated',
It is a personal opinion on the price of perfectionism.

Fine thanks.
Yup it's a personal opinion.

Just one specific instance might help with my understanding of your point.

Gunnar45 Jan 31st 2020 3:25 am

Well, I understand that other individuals may have different opinions, ideals or beliefs, but as I said, I find life in Singapore to be a bit overly regulated.
I believe that also among Singapore residents one may find different opinions regarding the 'price' for enjoying the living there.
If you noticed, they even sell T-shirts in Singapore joking about the 'Fine City'

ex reg Jan 31st 2020 4:27 am

Last question then.
What regulation do you find in Singapore which is not regulated in Malaysia,
Don't give me chewing gum.:rofl:

Gunnar45 Jan 31st 2020 6:45 am

I think one could consider the specific bans on chewing gum, urinating in elevators and not flushing the toilet to be examples of over regulation.
The reasons however, (for chewing gum I think it was people clogging the door sensors of the MRT) are of course valid.
Outside Singapore, there are general laws which cover these things. Like in Malaysia.
So no need for special mention of these offences like its done in Singapore.

The above together with the criminalization of feeding pigeons and singing certain songs openly while allowing caning of children at home and in school does however indicate that what others may see as examples of over regulation may indeed be required in Singapore :shades_smile:

OriginalSunshine Jan 31st 2020 7:42 am

So, no school aged children which makes things much easier.

ok, Singapore without a doubt is much safer than KL. Both street crime, road crime, burglary, personal safety.

on the other hand the cost of living is very much higher and the visas are harder to get.

port Dickson or Johor are fine places but won’t be as expat-y as KL or Singapore

Scuba Tyke Feb 7th 2020 12:32 am

Originally Posted by GRP (Post 12797786)
HI Community

I am looking to move to Malaysia with my wife.

I will travel a lot and will need to be in Singapore and KL mainly with other trips to the rest of the world, so need somewhere safe and secure for my family while i am away.

Am thinking would be good somewhere on the coast between KL and Singapore with good access to KL airport.

Would like something like a villa with a pool and/or on a beach.

Are there any locations that you would recommend that would be suitable?

Gary

Hello Gary,

My wife & I are retired and live in Port Dickson (PD). If you are considering PD as an option feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

ex reg Feb 7th 2020 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12803087)
Hello Gary,

My wife & I are retired and live in Port Dickson (PD). If you are considering PD as an option feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

See my opinion in post 4 above.

For my own info I wonder about the opinion of someone living in PD, was I too downbeat in what I said?