Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

mspencer83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Selamat petang!

I am new to this forum but have been living in KL for two months already. I am on a work placement which ends in February 2013, however my company have offered to extend my stay for an additional two years!

My future wife is visiting this Christmas to check out the area first because the deal is if they want to extend my stay then my wife needs to live here too. My office is in Mutiara Damansara and I commute from the Sunway Putra Hotel (formerly the Legend Hotel) which takes about 20 minutes on a good day. I've scouted the city over the past month and like Bangsar, TTDI, and Damansara Heights for convenience to work as well as close to city centre.

Now, the reason I am here is to ask if you know of any respectable estate agents that can help me find rental accommodation? I'm looking for a 2-3 bed furnished property, preferably a house within a gated community. Also like private garden for relaxing and entertaining. What kind of rent would you expect to pay for this? Work have offered to help find accommodation but I would always welcome a second opinion.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Mark

Last edited by mspencer83; Dec 16th 2012 at 8:59 am.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:00 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Kuala Lumpur

Hi Mark

Welcome to the forums and welcome to KL! Have you taken a look at iproperty.com.my yet? This site will give you the best indication of rentals being asked. I have not heard of any gated houses in these sorts of areas offering anything less than 4 bedrooms but I could be wrong! Of course you'd have no problem at a condo but then you're limited to a balcony rather than real outside space. In terms of prices, I would have thought a gated house in one of those areas would be 9000 - 10000 per month minimum (unfurnished) with most going for rather more than that. You could get a semi or terraced house for much less (but without the security). Therein lies the compromise.

All the best.

Ajw
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:09 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mark, I'm not in KL but just to say welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great time here in Malaysia
Old Dec 19th 2012, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Dd33 is on a distinguished road

we used a lady called Christin Lim. She was great 0126333333 or christinelim.iagent.my. We came from the UK and she was great!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Good Afternoon Mark,
You might only have been in Malaysia 2 months, I've been here in the region a lot longer, but I must say I've never heard Selamat Petang before.
My missus tells me it means Good Afternoon.
She's very good at languages, I found English difficult
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was stumped by that too In Penang it's just Hallo, or whatever the equivalent is in Hokkien.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually.... selamat pagi (as I am sure you all know) = good morning; selamat tingahari = good afternoon (I think roughly from midday until about 4 o'clock); selamat petang = good evening (tea time, roughly between 4 and 6 pm) and selamat malam = goodnight! Not that I am in any way conversant, of course, but I have picked up a little! Oh and selamat datang (welcome) and jumpa lagi = something like 'see you again'
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:00 pm

and satu lagi when you want another drink
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I just gave my missus a bollocking about getting Selamat petang wrong in translation.

She said she wasn't really listening to me when I asked her what it meant

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

mspencer83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your replies, they have been very helpful!

I have shown my fiance around KL and she agrees that Bangsar is the place to investigate further. I will check out the property website and also contact the agent you have recommended.

To be honest, a gated house costing 9000 - 10000 per month is out of our 7000 maximum budget. A second option is a serviced apartment however my partner has a very big fear of heights - do you know of any low rise apartments?

Wish you all a Happy New Year!

Mark

P.S. Saya belajar Bahasa Malaysia