Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Old Feb 25th 2019, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Caketin79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

The base salary is in line with what a local would be paid, for the first year you will be taxed 28%. You can then claim a large amount of this back so long as you haven’t left Malaysia for more than 14 days during that first year.
After the first year you will pay between 10% and 14%
the salary is not massive but cost of living is very cheap so long as you eat and shop where the locals do.
Hope that helps � ����
Old Feb 27th 2019, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't find a 2018 tax guide but assume that it will be rather similar to this 2017 tax guide: https://ringgitplus.com/en/blog/Pers...uide-2017.html
Old Feb 28th 2019, 7:01 pm
c13
Just Joined

c13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caketin79
The base salary is in line with what a local would be paid, for the first year you will be taxed 28%. You can then claim a large amount of this back so long as you haven’t left Malaysia for more than 14 days during that first year.
the salary is not massive but cost of living is very cheap so long as you eat and shop where the locals do.
Hope that helps ������
Ah, happy to hear you can claim a rebate on some of that then! Do you have any recommendations of areas to consider for living? We would like to live in an area that is accessible to the school (i.e. on a train line stop to it), modern with pool, but would like to live in some of the action of the city - restaurants, brunch spots, ideally a Crossfit gym etc! Any suggestions on neighbourhoods we could research that might fit the bill? Also, any other tips on what to expect of the school, working life, students etc? Definitely excited to make the move!
Old Feb 28th 2019, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Kota Damansara, where the school is, has some great local food spots and also some more upmarket restaurants.
i would recommend, when it comes to accommodation, that you rent somewhere fairly cheaply until after you are paying less tax.
casa indah 1 and 2 are ideal condos, they are not as new and shiny as some but they are big and good value for money. Both have a swimming pool and a gym. They are also very close to an MRT station and only 2 stops away from school.
just across the road is the centre of Kota Damansara where there is a small mall with a supermarket that sells western goods. There is also a gym there too.
Cascades is also another good value for money condo but it’s a bit further from the MRT, it is still very close to amenities though. Have a look on propertyguru.my and iproprty.my for an idea of what they are like and the price.

You will be provided with transport to and from school from September to January.
the school will arrange an agent to take you round to look at condos, be warned that they always take you to view crappy ones first as they want to get them off their books, be firm with them about what you are looking for and funnily enough they will suddenly remember one that is just perfect for you � ����. Don’t just look at one condo and think this is awful as they differ greatly even though they are in the same block.
you will need to pay 3 months rent up front, 2 as a deposit and 1 for your first months rent. You will also have to pay another 1/2 months rent as a utility deposit and a small agents fee.
be warned that electric is very expensive in Malayia so having air on on all the time is not a good idea so I would suggest a place with a balcony and ceiling fans so you can create a breeze.
i don’t work at the school, my husband does but we love it. Our children have also been very happy there.
are you going to be in Primary or Secondary? The staff are amazing and there is very much a family atmosphere between them. There is a real mix of people with families, couples and singlies so there is something for everyone.
behaviours in the classroom are minimal and the work/ life balance is great. They are long days Monday to Thursday but on Friday school finishes at 12:30.
Moving here has been the best thing we have ever done, we love it here and plan on staying for a long time. We are currently on our 3rd year.
i will PM you my email address so you can stay in touch more easily. Any questions please ask, I am more than happy to answer anymore questions. Look forward to meeting you in August � ����� ���� Katie
Old Mar 17th 2019, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

davidcrane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Katie.

I’m joining Sri KDU in September and me and the family are really looking forward to the new adventure (with the exception of my nearly 12 year old who isn’t as keen to start making new friends!)
We too will be looking for accommodation and appreciate your advice.

Regards

David
Old Mar 17th 2019, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Hi David,
welcome 😊 I will PM you my email address so you can get in touch and ask any questions, think you might have to send 3 messages in line to access your private messages though so just send some rubbish on this thread until you can access it.😂
i think we have been “buddied” up with you by school so we will be around to support you when you arrive.
We have a 13 year old son so your 12 year old will have a friend right away.
Speak soon
Katie
Old Mar 18th 2019, 3:24 am
Just Joined

Have just checked and we are definitely your buddy’s � ����
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Hi David,
welcome 😊 I will PM you my email address so you can get in touch and ask any questions, think you might have to send 3 messages in line to access your private messages though so just send some rubbish on this thread until you can access it.😂
i think we have been “buddied” up with you by school so we will be around to support you when you arrive.
We have a 13 year old son so your 12 year old will have a friend right away.
Speak soon
Katie
excellent that’s great thanks Katie
Old Mar 18th 2019, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Have just checked and we are definitely your buddy’s ������
Thank you for finding out, really pleased Dylan will have someone as soon as we arrive.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Minipixielondonjozi1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just accepted a position at Sri KDU, super excited. We lived in Malaysia before and loved it but we were further out and staying there with 2 little quiet dogs was never an issue. Does anybody know of any condos that allow dogs close yo school or at least close to MRT to get to school. Don't really want to get a car.

TIA
Old Mar 1st 2020, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Hi, welcome to Sri KDU, I am not sure about condos that take dogs but if you DM your phone number to me I will add you to the staff what’s app group as I am sure some other people will be able to help you with this. 😊
katie x
Old Apr 4th 2020, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

blade000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope that helps ������
Hi Caketin79, I am asking this on behalf of someone. What is the average salary of PGCE trained teacher with 3-4 years in Sri KDU? Is the base RM5K + allowance RM5K reasonable? Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2020, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Hi, The salary is reasonable and can provide a good standard of living, providing you like to eat at local places and shop at the local supermarkets. If you dine in the expensive restaurants in KLCC and shop at the western supermarkets, it’s not going to go very far.
the first year is always a bit tough with the tax, especially if your a family living on one salary but it is doable and as I have said before, you can get a good tax rebate at the end of the year. We just looked at it like it was a saving scheme. The school also pay a bonus, based on performance, at the end of January.
if you PM me more info on the person’s situation I will be able to be more specific, but hope that helps a bit 😊