Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Old Mar 4th 2017, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

davejack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Hi there,

I Have lived in KL for 5 years however, unfortunately I have now returned back to the UK. I stayed quite close to SRI KDU in Kota Damansara. The average wage for a teacher in KL is around RM 2-3000 therefore RM11,000 is a very very good deal indeed. Housing is very cheap approx RM 2,500 for a very good apartment fully equipped so dont despair you have lots of options close by. Check out sites like IProperty to see for yourself. Be aware Kota Damansara has many traffic jams and particularly around the School as all the parents pick yup and drop off their kids and its bedlam :-).
By the way please let me know how you have got on because I am looking at changing my career to teach English as a second language in KL as i`m now booked on to my CELTA Course in July this year. Good luck !!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Mads2411 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caketin79
hey!
Don't be scared- it is amazing!
We arrived around 3 weeks ago and have settled in really well.
We visited the school before the end of term and it seems great, it's not too big and there seems to be a great atmosphere about the place.
The staff team are really welcoming and we have met up socially with some of them a couple of times.
Damansara is great, we love it! It's a typical Malaysian town and there is everything you need here.
What are you going to be teaching and when do you arrive? I shall try and PM you our details so we can get together when you arrive!
Katie and Brian
Hi
Just been offered a job at the school and wondering how you guys have settled in? If I accept I'll be bringing my husband and two girls. Can you offer any advice?

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by davejack
Hi there,

I Have lived in KL for 5 years however, unfortunately I have now returned back to the UK. I stayed quite close to SRI KDU in Kota Damansara. The average wage for a teacher in KL is around RM 2-3000 therefore RM11,000 is a very very good deal indeed. Housing is very cheap approx RM 2,500 for a very good apartment fully equipped so dont despair you have lots of options close by. Check out sites like IProperty to see for yourself. Be aware Kota Damansara has many traffic jams and particularly around the School as all the parents pick yup and drop off their kids and its bedlam :-).
By the way please let me know how you have got on because I am looking at changing my career to teach English as a second language in KL as i`m now booked on to my CELTA Course in July this year. Good luck !!
Hi
When you say 'very good apartment' for that price can you tell me how many beds that is for? Do apartments generally have pools or will I need to pay much more for such facilities?

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tarajeana
Hi all, I am looking at possibly getting a job with SRI KDU and I am curious to hear your experiences. After reading the reviews on ISR I am feeling a little concerned as some are scathingly negative... And I can't really find anything else out there on the internet. But I am kind of desperate to hear the reality of the situation. (Perhaps it would be best to private message me or something?
Hi
I'm in the same position. Can I ask if you found out anything further?

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Caketin79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We LOVE it here.
We are a family of 4 too and we have all settled in really well.
It took a little while for my 17year old daughter to adjust but she really enjoys life here now too.
How old are your girls and what will you be teaching?
I saw you asked about apartments too, we have a 3bed plus maids room, the condo has a lovely pool and a gym. The town of Kota Damansara is just across the road and the new MRT station is 200 metres up the road.
We pay 2600rm for it.
If you have any more specific questions just ask.
I am sure you have seen my previous posts stating that my husband loves teaching at the school, over all moving here was the best thing we have done and we have no plans to leave for the for seeable. 😊
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Hi,
We LOVE it here.
We are a family of 4 too and we have all settled in really well.
It took a little while for my 17year old daughter to adjust but she really enjoys life here now too.
How old are your girls and what will you be teaching?
I saw you asked about apartments too, we have a 3bed plus maids room, the condo has a lovely pool and a gym. The town of Kota Damansara is just across the road and the new MRT station is 200 metres up the road.
We pay 2600rm for it.
If you have any more specific questions just ask.
I am sure you have seen my previous posts stating that my husband loves teaching at the school, over all moving here was the best thing we have done and we have no plans to leave for the for seeable. 😊
That's great. Thanks for the reply. It's an English post but we're still working out finances. My husband doesn't have a degree so we know it will be hard for him to work - or is it? Our girls are 4 & 7 and I'm assuming they get free places at the school. Are the facilities at the primary good? Also there seem to be some bad reviews on Google about the school? Can you advise? X
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mads2411
That's great. Thanks for the reply. It's an English post but we're still working out finances. My husband doesn't have a degree so we know it will be hard for him to work - or is it? Our girls are 4 & 7 and I'm assuming they get free places at the school. Are the facilities at the primary good? Also there seem to be some bad reviews on Google about the school? Can you advise? X
PM'd you
Old Mar 7th 2017, 10:50 am
Just Joined

davejack is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow there seems to be a lot of you in KL and Teaching too which is great to hear. There are lots of apartments around Kota Damansara and many more being built since I was working there and many more on the outskirts particularly around Mt Kiara or Sri Hartamas which is about 20mins drive on a good day and if you miss the peak times. The majority which everybody there now will tell you come with a communal pool and gymnasium as standard and some with a lot more. All Condos have security also so its generally very safe.

My question tho has`nt been answered and would love some help from someone. Like I said I have lived there for 5 years or more as a project manager and loved it and made many friends there too. I am looking at heading back teaching English as a second language. I don`t have any teaching experience in a school but have trained people in my work and i`m very keen to find a place after i`ve completed my CELTA course in July. Its a months course in Bali so i`m very excited to have been accepted on the course as its not easy to be accepted.

If there is anyone who can steer me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful....

Terima Kasih
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:32 am
Just Joined

RMYorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Caketin79 - I'm new to the forum. Was wondering how you were finding the school and life in Malaysia? My husband is applying for sep. He has taught in a school in Luxembourg and has 12 years as a chemistry teacher?? Any info would be appreciated. Rachel
Old Feb 27th 2018, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Smallandred123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Did you find any further info? Am considering applying
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Jess93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I am also new to the forum. I have just been offered a job at the SRI KDU Prim aryl School but I was wondering how does everyone find the social life? I am going alone and I just want to know how accessible groups and clubs are?
Many thanks
Old Mar 7th 2018, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jess93
Hello everyone,

I am also new to the forum. I have just been offered a job at the SRI KDU Prim aryl School but I was wondering how does everyone find the social life? I am going alone and I just want to know how accessible groups and clubs are?
Many thanks
Hey,
The social life is great, there are lots of single teachers at the school who all do things together.
Depending on your interests, people are involved with theatre groups, running groups etc.
The primary teachers are a lovely lot, it won't take long for you to make friends.
I would imagine there will be other single people in the new intake too, so they will be in the same position.
My advice would be to go for it, we haven't looked back.
PM me if you have any questions 😊
Katie
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 12:35 pm
c13
Just Joined

c13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread is old now, but hoping people might be able to give some more advice about how they've found the school and living in KL? I've been told the school doesn't have a salary scale for teachers and it is determined on a 'case-by-case' basis. What should the expected salary be for 5-8 years teaching experience with middle leader qualification, including overseas allowance? Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 25th 2019, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Hi, we have been here for 3 years now and we love it. KL is fantastic and we are very happy with the school.
the salary will depend on whether your single or have a family etc.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 12:03 am
c13
Just Joined

c13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we have been here for 3 years now and we love it. KL is fantastic and we are very happy with the school.
the salary will depend on whether your single or have a family etc.
Thanks for the response. I will be coming with my partner who will also work at the school. He has 4 years more experience than me and has been offered slightly more for the base salary which makes sense. I was a bit thrown by the overseas allowance being more than the base salary, and unsure about what tax rate we would be on and how this would affect our take-home pay. Glad to hear you're happy with the school though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.