British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-sri-kdu-international-school-help-872428/)

apjh622 Feb 14th 2016 4:25 am

Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Hi all,

I'm living in London at the moment, considering a move to KL to work at Sri KDU international school. Has anyone got anything to say about the school? Supportive place? Also, trying to figure out what constitutes a decent and competitive salary over there, is 11,300RM per month a fair haul?

All help much appreciated!

bakedbean Feb 14th 2016 7:18 am

Re: Moving to KL, Sri KDU international school. Help!

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

There's a topic on the school here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...school-843773/
Unfortunately it's a slightly old thread and now closed, but nothing to stop you sending a PM to any of the posters (with more than 3 posts).

You might like to use the Search Box on here. Go to the Malaysia section menu and you'll see it on one of the Blue bars. I've just typed in KDU and 10 topics came up!! So give it a try.

dellboyaa Mar 9th 2016 8:17 pm

Hi there, I am also looking for information about Sri KDU! Any information about the school or area would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mazlina Jun 2nd 2016 10:52 pm

Hi, any updates from those who made the move to Sri KDU Malaysia ?

Caketin79 Jun 28th 2016 5:42 am

Hi,
My husband is starting teaching at SRI KDU international in September and I was just wondering if you decided to make the move and also if you found any more info
Katie

Mazlina Jun 28th 2016 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 11987284)
Hi,
My husband is starting teaching at SRI KDU international in September and I was just wondering if you decided to make the move and also if you found any more info
Katie

Hi. Actually I'm one of the prospective mothers looking for a good school for my son :)

JC3 Jun 28th 2016 11:42 am

Hi,

I live in Penang so know nothing about Sri KDU international school. Sorry.

However this trick might help you find 'hidden' information not to easy to find via normal online search.

1) Type 'Sri KDU international school' into the Google search box.
2) Under the search box, click the Images button
3) You'll then see lots of photos relating to the school
4) Mouse over the photos to see the source website/URL for each image
5) If the source website looks interesting, click on the image
6) Click on the Visit Page button which will take you to the source website where that image is located

Quite often this will lead you to articles etc. about the subject you are searching for. Sometimes you can learn a lot just my looking at the images.

Another trick worth trying in normal search is to type 'PDF' after your search term e.g. 'Sri KDU international school PDF'
This often brings up whole documents relating to your search.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

JC3

Caketin79 Jun 28th 2016 12:33 pm

oops sorry I replied to the wrong thread 😩

luhooch Jul 5th 2016 5:10 pm

Dear all,

I'm moving to Sri KDU in August, and was wondering if anyone else here was? Also, does anyone have any need to know information about the school?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Lucy

dellboyaa Jul 5th 2016 8:27 pm

Hey Lucy, I am also joining Sri KDU in August! I will send you a pm. I'm both excited and nervous at the moment. KL sounds like a great city to live in

jock128 Jul 7th 2016 10:50 am

Wow, it seems like quite a few people are going over to Sri KDU. I'll add my name to that list as well.

I'm going over in August, my wife and family are joining me later.

luhooch Jul 8th 2016 1:53 pm

I'm trying to plan some lessons/Schemes of Work - does anyone know how long a lesson is at the secondary school?

little_loe Aug 1st 2016 7:49 pm

I'm also starting at Sri KDU in August (well 2 weeks away). Scared but also excited!

Caketin79 Aug 2nd 2016 2:54 am

hey!
Don't be scared- it is amazing!
We arrived around 3 weeks ago and have settled in really well.
We visited the school before the end of term and it seems great, it's not too big and there seems to be a great atmosphere about the place.
The staff team are really welcoming and we have met up socially with some of them a couple of times.
Damansara is great, we love it! It's a typical Malaysian town and there is everything you need here.
What are you going to be teaching and when do you arrive? I shall try and PM you our details so we can get together when you arrive!
Katie and Brian

Caketin79 Aug 2nd 2016 2:56 am

Hey, are you teach IGcse or IB?
IGCSE lessons are all an hour long, where as IB are sometimes an hour, or sometimes a double.
This is what I was lead to believe when I was shown round with my daughter anyway.
Katie

little_loe Aug 2nd 2016 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12017649)
hey!
We visited the school before the end of term and it seems great, it's not too big and there seems to be a great atmosphere about the place.
The staff team are really welcoming and we have met up socially with some of them a couple of times.
Damansara is great, we love it! It's a typical Malaysian town and there is everything you need here.
What are you going to be teaching and when do you arrive? I shall try and PM you our details so we can get together when you arrive!
Katie and Brian

Hi Katie and Brian. I arrive on Tuesday 16th I think we get in at like 8am Malaysian time! I am teaching in Year 5 in the Primary School. It looks amazing! Are you both starting orientation then on the 18th?

Chloe

Caketin79 Aug 2nd 2016 9:23 am

Hi Chloe,
Not long to go then!
It is my husband that will be teaching at the school, he is to be Head of Design and Technology.
I am yet to get a job, but hope once I have got my children settled something will come up.
My son will be going into year 6, he went and spent a mornig with the current year 5 class and he loved it.
My daughter will be doing her IB.
If there are any questions you have then let us know and we will probably be able to help you.
We are pretty much settled here now and loving it

Calypso86 Aug 2nd 2016 4:59 pm

Hi all,

I am also moving to teach in SRI KDU INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL in two weeks, if there is a separate group could someone add me to it?
Thanks Nikki

little_loe Aug 3rd 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12017793)
Hi Chloe,
Not long to go then!
It is my husband that will be teaching at the school, he is to be Head of Design and Technology.
I am yet to get a job, but hope once I have got my children settled something will come up.
My son will be going into year 6, he went and spent a mornig with the current year 5 class and he loved it.
If there are any questions you have then let us know and we will probably be able to help you.

Oh great, your husband will be with us at Orientation then and I'll probably see your son around at the new students orientation! Could I ask what you did about currency because I know we need to have quite a bit. Did you take it in travellers cheques, cash or just pay for things on card??

Thanks

Chloe

Caketin79 Aug 3rd 2016 11:10 pm

Morning,
We brought quite a lot of cash with us! I found the best rate was at The Money Shop and it was much higher than everywhere else.
We had to pay for our apartment deposits in cash, that was 3 months rent in total and 1,500 rm for the utility deposit.
Also as expats you have to pay deposits on things like your wifi contract and telephone line.
We have used our debit and credit cards over here, there is a MAYBANK just across the road from the hotel you will be staying in. The exchange rate isn't too bad using them and I haven't seemed to incur mega charges for using them.
Hope that helps!
My email address is <<<SNIP>>> if anyone wants it- I know you shouldn't put it on a public forum, but if I get overwhelmed by all the messages of adoration I can always change it!! � ����
So excited to meet you all � ����Xx

luhooch Aug 7th 2016 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12019321)
Morning,
We brought quite a lot of cash with us! I found the best rate was at The Money Shop and it was much higher than everywhere else.
We had to pay for our apartment deposits in cash, that was 3 months rent in total and 1,500 rm for the utility deposit.
Also as expats you have to pay deposits on things like your wifi contract and telephone line.
We have used our debit and credit cards over here, there is a MAYBANK just across the road from the hotel you will be staying in. The exchange rate isn't too bad using them and I haven't seemed to incur mega charges for using them.
Hope that helps!
My email address is xxxxxxxx if anyone wants it- I know you shouldn't put it on a public forum, but if I get overwhelmed by all the messages of adoration I can always change it!! � ����

Hi Katie (and others joining Sri KDU this August!),

My boyfriend and I are arriving on the evening of the 16th, and I'm hoping to bring him with me to school on the first Induction day, so he can come meet the estate agents with me. Do you have any advice about the estate agents?

Looking forward to meeting you all!
Lucy

Caketin79 Aug 7th 2016 11:34 pm

hi,
Our estate agent was great, she sorted everything for us. Her name is Grace.
She isn't the usual agent that the school use though, she stepped in at the last minute when the guy we were supposed to meet with became a Dad!!
Have you got an area in mind?
We are in casa indah 1, and we love it.
It's within walking distance to everything, even school and the new MRT station.
Katie

bakedbean Aug 8th 2016 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12019321)
Morning,
Hope that helps!
My email address is < snip > if anyone wants it- I know you shouldn't put it on a public forum, but if I get overwhelmed by all the messages of adoration I can always change it!! � ����

It's not the emails on here. It will be the spammers, spam bots and god knows what else that will ruin your email account. But no,need to put. If you click on anyone's name, including yours, you'll see a drop down menu. In that you can either send a PM or an email securely. That's the way :p

Kikiliki Aug 26th 2016 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I am also new to Malaysia! Will be living in the Ara Damansara area. Arrived a week ago now! I am a teacher, but working at a different school to you guys. I'll be at Tenby International in Shah Alam.

I made the move out here solo. Luckily I have some friends from home already based here, but still looking to make some new connections etc!

Let me know how you are finding everything!

:starsmile:

tarajeana Nov 1st 2016 4:56 pm

Hi all, I am looking at possibly getting a job with SRI KDU and I am curious to hear your experiences. After reading the reviews on ISR I am feeling a little concerned as some are scathingly negative... And I can't really find anything else out there on the internet. But I am kind of desperate to hear the reality of the situation. (Perhaps it would be best to private message me or something?

Zahpop Feb 24th 2017 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12017793)
Hi Chloe,
Not long to go then!

Hey can I pm please?

Caketin79 Feb 24th 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Zahpop (Post 12188616)
Hey can I pm please?

Yeah sure

propersol Mar 1st 2017 3:38 am

We are two months into the new year and I hope everything's still good in spite of the incredible heat! The only winter I get is at that frigid corner of the office.

Zahpop Mar 1st 2017 4:55 am

I have to comment 3 times in order to post pm

Zahpop Mar 1st 2017 4:55 am

So here goes my 3rd one woop

davejack Mar 4th 2017 6:17 pm

Hi there,

I Have lived in KL for 5 years however, unfortunately I have now returned back to the UK. I stayed quite close to SRI KDU in Kota Damansara. The average wage for a teacher in KL is around RM 2-3000 therefore RM11,000 is a very very good deal indeed. Housing is very cheap approx RM 2,500 for a very good apartment fully equipped so dont despair you have lots of options close by. Check out sites like IProperty to see for yourself. Be aware Kota Damansara has many traffic jams and particularly around the School as all the parents pick yup and drop off their kids and its bedlam :-).
By the way please let me know how you have got on because I am looking at changing my career to teach English as a second language in KL as i`m now booked on to my CELTA Course in July this year. Good luck !!

Mads2411 Mar 7th 2017 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12017649)
hey!
Katie and Brian

Hi
Just been offered a job at the school and wondering how you guys have settled in? If I accept I'll be bringing my husband and two girls. Can you offer any advice?

Thanks

Mads2411 Mar 7th 2017 5:53 am

Originally Posted by davejack (Post 12196884)
Hi there,

I Have lived in KL for 5 years however, unfortunately I have now returned back to the UK. I stayed quite close to SRI KDU in Kota Damansara. The average wage for a teacher in KL is around RM 2-3000 therefore RM11,000 is a very very good deal indeed. Housing is very cheap approx RM 2,500 for a very good apartment fully equipped so dont despair you have lots of options close by. Check out sites like IProperty to see for yourself. Be aware Kota Damansara has many traffic jams and particularly around the School as all the parents pick yup and drop off their kids and its bedlam :-).
By the way please let me know how you have got on because I am looking at changing my career to teach English as a second language in KL as i`m now booked on to my CELTA Course in July this year. Good luck !!

Hi
When you say 'very good apartment' for that price can you tell me how many beds that is for? Do apartments generally have pools or will I need to pay much more for such facilities?

Thanks

Mads2411 Mar 7th 2017 5:55 am

Originally Posted by tarajeana (Post 12092950)
Hi all, I am looking at possibly getting a job with SRI KDU and I am curious to hear your experiences. After reading the reviews on ISR I am feeling a little concerned as some are scathingly negative... And I can't really find anything else out there on the internet. But I am kind of desperate to hear the reality of the situation. (Perhaps it would be best to private message me or something?

Hi
I'm in the same position. Can I ask if you found out anything further?

Thanks

Caketin79 Mar 7th 2017 6:03 am

Hi,
We LOVE it here.
We are a family of 4 too and we have all settled in really well.
It took a little while for my 17year old daughter to adjust but she really enjoys life here now too.
How old are your girls and what will you be teaching?
I saw you asked about apartments too, we have a 3bed plus maids room, the condo has a lovely pool and a gym. The town of Kota Damansara is just across the road and the new MRT station is 200 metres up the road.
We pay 2600rm for it.
If you have any more specific questions just ask.
I am sure you have seen my previous posts stating that my husband loves teaching at the school, over all moving here was the best thing we have done and we have no plans to leave for the for seeable. 😊

Mads2411 Mar 7th 2017 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Caketin79 (Post 12198922)
Hi,
We LOVE it here.
We are a family of 4 too and we have all settled in really well.
It took a little while for my 17year old daughter to adjust but she really enjoys life here now too.
How old are your girls and what will you be teaching?
I saw you asked about apartments too, we have a 3bed plus maids room, the condo has a lovely pool and a gym. The town of Kota Damansara is just across the road and the new MRT station is 200 metres up the road.
We pay 2600rm for it.
If you have any more specific questions just ask.
I am sure you have seen my previous posts stating that my husband loves teaching at the school, over all moving here was the best thing we have done and we have no plans to leave for the for seeable. 😊

That's great. Thanks for the reply. It's an English post but we're still working out finances. My husband doesn't have a degree so we know it will be hard for him to work - or is it? Our girls are 4 & 7 and I'm assuming they get free places at the school. Are the facilities at the primary good? Also there seem to be some bad reviews on Google about the school? Can you advise? X

Caketin79 Mar 7th 2017 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Mads2411 (Post 12198929)
That's great. Thanks for the reply. It's an English post but we're still working out finances. My husband doesn't have a degree so we know it will be hard for him to work - or is it? Our girls are 4 & 7 and I'm assuming they get free places at the school. Are the facilities at the primary good? Also there seem to be some bad reviews on Google about the school? Can you advise? X

PM'd you

davejack Mar 7th 2017 10:50 am

Wow there seems to be a lot of you in KL and Teaching too which is great to hear. There are lots of apartments around Kota Damansara and many more being built since I was working there and many more on the outskirts particularly around Mt Kiara or Sri Hartamas which is about 20mins drive on a good day and if you miss the peak times. The majority which everybody there now will tell you come with a communal pool and gymnasium as standard and some with a lot more. All Condos have security also so its generally very safe.

My question tho has`nt been answered and would love some help from someone. Like I said I have lived there for 5 years or more as a project manager and loved it and made many friends there too. I am looking at heading back teaching English as a second language. I don`t have any teaching experience in a school but have trained people in my work and i`m very keen to find a place after i`ve completed my CELTA course in July. Its a months course in Bali so i`m very excited to have been accepted on the course as its not easy to be accepted.

If there is anyone who can steer me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful....

Terima Kasih :thumbup:

RMYorkshire Jan 16th 2018 9:32 am

Hi Caketin79 - I'm new to the forum. Was wondering how you were finding the school and life in Malaysia? My husband is applying for sep. He has taught in a school in Luxembourg and has 12 years as a chemistry teacher?? Any info would be appreciated. Rachel

Smallandred123 Feb 27th 2018 6:54 pm

Hi
Did you find any further info? Am considering applying