Just Joined

Lulla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to KL - Question about Schools etc

Thank you
Old Jun 9th 2013, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Nitelite is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... Hope your move to KL is a smooth one. We moved to KL a year & a half ago from Dubai . My kids were studying in the 'best' British school there ...I can safely say that Alice smith( where they are studying now) wins hands down! Hope that helps!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

TehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lulla
Basically I'm trying to work out suitable accommodation given that we have a small dog and my husband's company will only allow gated / security protected accommodation . I know that apartments do not allow dogs. Villas in a gated community would be perfect but probably expensive.
Or are condos strictly apartments ( that would not allow dogs even if there are some communal green areas? ) cheers.
Hi Lulla

The term " condo/apartment" are generally used interchangeably by Real estate agents and various Malaysians to refer to low rise or high rise Residential title units, usually gated +comes with guardhouse/security + usually has common facilities like pool, common green areas (But not always! Always check and ask). "Condo" tends to sound more fancy, so many prefer to market it as that ...although what it has as facilities vary a lot

Kuala Lumpur ("KL") Condos/apartments are very unlikely to formally allow Dogs (of any size) into their units,
.... as MY is a Muslim country and the local laws for common strata titles do not usually allow it. KL especially is stricter, compared to say Penang condos where the owner/tenant demographics may.....err.....be more tolerant/less likely to formally complain about your dog being in the condo building and surrounds.
- hence, very few exceptions of KL condos/apartments which allow it under their "condo/house rules" even if some housing bylaws allow for it, but it's not always made clear. Some condos evenspecifically ban or specify 'no pets' allowed
- I'm a dog owner too, so I know options are limited+ can understand the predicament some dog owners may have in finding accommodation, what more foreign newbies to Malaysia who may not get enough info.

Good new is that i know of 1 such condo in KL+ do own a 3bed 2 bath condo unit there (gated and guarded, with condo facilities etc) which permits small dogs under their "house rules" since the days was under the developers hands, and Owners/Tenants do have dogs in their units. The condo's management committee is aware and has so far continued to respect that house rules.*touch wood*
- Not so great news for you is, my unit is currently tenanted out but I'm happy to discuss if you are keen to consider it for when it gets vacated.
- please PM me to discuss

Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Dubai_Ger is an unknown quantity at this point

Lulla - have you managed to get schools and living area sorted?

My wife started this thread but as you can imagine with us moving in 10 days has been real busy organising our move from Dubai.

We have decided to go to the BSKL and were well impressed with the facilities and the staff we met were first class and took a great deal of time to show us around the facility and answer all those 101 questions that we have (100 from the Mrs!).

Son will be moving in to year 9 and daughter will go to Year 7.

We have also opted to live at the Valencia community and i dont think it should be too far and too long on the bus every day, i will be based down at the GTower but will probably be travelling 50% of the time so the distance in to GTower was never a factor - we loved the houses there and certainly seems a fairly safe area for kids to get out and about and has excellent sports facilities too.

I am in KL this week then its back to Dubai pack up, 2 weeks in Scotland then back here as a family on July 14th. Hope our container arrives soon after and then we can get the dog out of quarantine / kennels and try and really start to enjoy this new and exciting chapter.

I am sure my Mrs will try and answer and questions you have or vice versa..
Old Jun 15th 2013, 5:10 am
Just Joined

Lulla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dubai ger. unfortunately our move fell through this time and we will be in dubai for a bit longer. We were very disappointed after the build up and spending time researching and not least getting in the 'moving' frame of mind.
Still love dubai so I'm happy to stay here a bit longer.
Thanks for the reply and to all the others who replied too. But we all know the unpredictability of expat life.
Glad to hear you found schools and a nice house. Would have looked forward to exchanging information - maybe you guys are from Scotland too?
So all the best in your new adventure and greetings from sunny dubai!
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:47 am
Banned

jason.mantle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben5
Hi and thank you in advance to any one who replies....

My husband is moving to KL in the next couple of months from Dubai we will follow at the end of our school year which is July 2013. When I say we I mean my son who will be going into year 9 and a daughter who is going to be in year 7 by then. We are a British family who have been living in the Middle East (Bahrain and Dubai) for the past 6 years.

Just the usual questions ie mostly about schools really. We would like to follow the British cirriculum as this is what the kids know.

1. Anyone got kids at the British cirriculum schools? What do you think of it? Pros and cons...
2. Where do you live? I would like to live close to the school. Hubby travelling a large amount too so would like security and be close to a grocery store.
3. My son does swimming, daughter does gymnastics and we all like golf so are keen to know about clubs for these.
4. Driving....I have both a British and Dubai license but I drive cause I have to and ain't the most confident...how are the roads, directions, other drivers etc
5. I have a small dog who is a bichon and wondered about renting with a dog and what is the reception like towards dogs etc

Hi Ben5!
I lived in KL for 5 years before I moved to Singapore. I don't have any kids so I can't advise about schooling but some of my good friends have used expat service company to help them find accommodation, schools for their kids, and so on. (SNIP)

Good luck and I hope you'll enjoy KL!

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 18th 2013 at 1:50 pm. Reason: Thanks, but please dont make most of the post an advert for expats agencies