British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL later this year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-later-year-715991/)

ceilidh May 7th 2011 6:42 am

Moving to KL later this year

Hi folks

We plan to move to KL in the summer and looking for advice :-

Where to live ? I will be working in city centre but BH will be a lady of liesure so need a good safe area with expat company and decent facilities for shopping, gym etc. we fancy a condo so that get all the facilities but happy to take advice if there are better options.

Transport .....is it as bad as you here ? as i will work in KLCC i was hoping to use the metro/rail systems rather than drive so is it possible to get commute from where is best to live or is a car an essential?

Im visiting for a couple of days soon on business but would like to spend a day with a relocation agent and see some properties to get an idea of the standards we can afford so can anyone recommend a reliable agency to show me around ??

Thanks
Roy

bakedbean May 7th 2011 9:51 am

Re: Moving to KL later this year

Hi Roy and welcome to the forum. I'm sure some of our regulars will be along soon and give you some info. You might also like to browse through past threads as I think they've been some similar threads to this. All the best with your move.

TopHattedCat May 8th 2011 10:45 am

Hi Roy, you will love KL.

Unfortunately my knowledge of KL is as a visitor as I'm based in Penang.

But I've found Malaysia to be one of the safest countries I have visited.

I know there is a large ex-pat community in Bangsar but I think you need to wait for someone more knowledgeable to pop along & give you some more detailed advice.

Good luck with your move.

ceilidh May 9th 2011 5:10 am

Thanks for the responses and good wishes, hopefully theres some folks in KL out there who can advise.

Roy

nonthaburi May 18th 2011 3:33 am

good luck with your move, hope it all works out for you !

Strider24 May 19th 2011 6:04 am

Hi Roy,
I do...mostly...live in KL. However where I live I would be the only expat in miles as I don't like the gin and tonic set places and haven't the budget for it anyway. I love being in a virtual kampong on the outskirts of the city. I never drive to town unless I'm picking someone up and use the train (in my case from either Kepong Sentral or Batu Caves- depending how I feel) or catch a bus either Rapid or Metro. In both cases I then switch to the inner city trains from either KL Sentral or Central Market. Its faster than by car in peak hours usually and cheaper.

So can't advise on where to stay unless you want to live with the locals...but if you do then let me know and I can elaborate by email.

Good luck:thumbup: