British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL Jan 2014 with 17month old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-jan-2014-17month-old-813866/)

CCarter Nov 1st 2013 10:53 am

Moving to KL Jan 2014 with 17month old

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to KL from London with my job early next year with my partner and our young son. All very exciting but also a bit scary, but happy for the experience! As with most of the threads I have read, would really appreciate a bit of advice, specifically on the following:

1) Any recommendations for International nurseries?
2) My partner will not be working so we want to meet up with new people in a similar situation as soon as possible - any tips on this?
3) She is also looking to get some part time or teacher assistant type job - anyone got any experience of doing this? Can be volunteer work as no work visa.
4) I'm getting full relocation support with work but any recommendations on where to live? Important for us would be to have a sense of community & easy access to good nurseries (Sarah doesn't drive so reliant on walking/taxis).

Thank you!

Chris

bakedbean Nov 1st 2013 12:53 pm

Re: Moving to KL Jan 2014 with 17month old

Hi Chris. Welcome to the forum :)

Not sure I can help you much as I'm in Penang not KL, but I expect some of our KL residents will be along to advise you shortly. In the meantime, do browse through this section. There's already a load of info re schools and where to live on here, so have a good read. Happy planning.

tb80 Nov 2nd 2013 12:15 am

I've just moved into KL from Jakarta, and decided on Suasana Loft in Sentral. Close to public transport, plenty of taxis, free shuttle bus to Mid-Valley, and very decent facilities.

Certainly worth a look.

WillNat Nov 2nd 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by CCarter (Post 10972236)
Hi everyone,

I'm moving to KL from London with my job early next year with my partner and our young son. All very exciting but also a bit scary, but happy for the experience! As with most of the threads I have read, would really appreciate a bit of advice, specifically on the following:

1) Any recommendations for International nurseries?
2) My partner will not be working so we want to meet up with new people in a similar situation as soon as possible - any tips on this?
3) She is also looking to get some part time or teacher assistant type job - anyone got any experience of doing this? Can be volunteer work as no work visa.
4) I'm getting full relocation support with work but any recommendations on where to live? Important for us would be to have a sense of community & easy access to good nurseries (Sarah doesn't drive so reliant on walking/taxis).

Thank you!

Chris

Where will be your work place in KL, ie area, street name?

TikkaMasala Nov 11th 2013 11:13 pm

Hi mate,

1. I would recommend Garden International School as a leader in the British syllabus - you can see this in the results that the students achieve and what they go on to do in their lives. A quick Google search will point you in the right direction.

2. As for teaching assistants/voluntary positions, Garden International School have parents who volunteer in the school's co-curricular activities - my mom coached netball while my brother and I were studying there. I can put you in contact with the school's administration if you decide to send your child there.

Other British schools that you can check out are - The Alice Smith School, situated on the outskirts of Greater KL and ELC School, which is situated in Sungai Buloh - a good 40 mins drive from the city.

3. If you are looking for a place to stay, my mom has been looking for someone to rent out her flat in Mont Kiara for a few months after moving out. It's a 10-minute walk from Garden International School and is located within an expatriate-rich area (Desa Sri Hartamas). At the risk of this sounding like an advertisement, I would ask that you PM me if you want to know more.

ajw Nov 12th 2013 9:06 am

The Alice Smith primary school (more relevant to the age of the OPs child) is actually in Jalan Bellamy, central KL.

Sue Nov 12th 2013 1:03 pm

Hi TikkaMasala,

Welcome to BE and thanks for the helpful info. If you got stick the details of your mums rental in our free Classifieds that would be great as we don't allow members to use posts to promote rentals etc. Once you have been a member for a couple more days and have a few more posts under your belt you are quite welcome to add the details to your forum signature, that way eveytime you post the details will be visible but it won't detract from the conversations in the thread and if people are interested they can contact you.

Thanks

mikesilvia Nov 14th 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Chris,
There is a new international school being built in a place called Sungai Buloh which is very close to Kuala Lumpur. This school is right next to the ELC school which has a good reputation and is affordable. I can't help you with nurseries but maybe one of these two places will have one. Maybe your partner could find employment there. One really important point is that there are a few good living communities in the area. Sierramas and Valencia are two of these communities. Sierramas, has been around for over twenty years and has a lot of high end properties. Valencia is still fairly new and has a mixture of various properties with different price levels. It has all the amenities such as golf course, pool, tennis etc. The most important aspect of both of these communities is that they are gated and guarded and are therefore much safer. There is crime anywhere in the world and in order to protect against it, a person has to be aware of their surroundings and alert. The challenge when moving to another country is that it can take some time to get that awareness. That is why I think it is important to choose a living area that is protected.
I hope this helped.
Best Regards
Mike Silvia