British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL from Dubai: Excited & Nervous (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-dubai-excited-nervous-906800/)

littlemissmo83 Dec 12th 2017 10:19 am

Moving to KL from Dubai: Excited & Nervous

Hi there,

Well, many years after my very first post moving to Dubai in 2012, myself and my partner are going to be suddenly moving to KL. Likely within the next month as part of an 8-12 month short term contract.

Moving out of the Dubai bubble is going to be a culture-shock BUT that said, I am very excited to see and experience something new from Dubai.

So, firstly - my other half will be working in KLCC (oil&gas) and we've been advised to live near work due to the carnage of the traffic. So we're looking at places within a 10 minute distance.

What I'm struggling with is connecting with other British expats in KL, particularly any who have made the jump already from Dubai, but to get an idea of the community over there, events, meeting new people and what to expect.

Any advice on apartment recommendations in KLCC would be brilliant, local knowledge is great. We have no idea what this move is going to be like, so am feeling all the same nerves and excitement as I did when I moved to Dubai.

Would be good to hear your experiences - good & bad.

Thanks in advance,
B

SushiFan Dec 12th 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Moving to KL from Dubai: Excited & Nervous

Originally Posted by littlemissmo83 (Post 12398304)
So, firstly - my other half will be working in KLCC (oil&gas) and we've been advised to live near work due to the carnage of the traffic. So we're looking at places within a 10 minute distance.

Welcome here.
"10 minute distance" do you have a helicopter at your disposal? :sneaky:

littlemissmo83 Dec 12th 2017 12:32 pm

haha @sushifan - I wish!

I should have said "walking distance"....I've heard the traffic there is as fun as SZR on a rush-hour! :)

geedee Dec 29th 2017 3:10 pm

We lived in Dubai for quite a few years, then moved, and then moved again to Malaysia. We don't live in KL but visit it quite regularly and love the place.

Different strokes for different folks, but KL so much nicer to be in than Dubai, in my opinion. You will find lots of UAE tourists there in "summer", they like KL too!

Good luck, hope it goes smoothly.

OriginalSunshine Dec 30th 2017 4:12 am

Hi there,

Well, many years after my very first post moving to Dubai in 2012, myself and my partner are going to be suddenly moving to KL. Likely within the next month as part of an 8-12 month short term contract.

Moving out of the Dubai bubble is going to be a culture-shock BUT that said, I am very excited to see and experience something new from Dubai.

What I'm struggling with is connecting with other British expats in KL, particularly any who have made the jump already from Dubai, but to get an idea of the community over there, events, meeting new people and what to expect.

Any advice on apartment recommendations in KLCC would be brilliant, local knowledge is great. We have no idea what this move is going to be like, so am feeling all the same nerves and excitement as I did when I moved to Dubai.

Thanks in advance,
B

Get whatever is in your housing allowance and is available. Make sure you have flexibility to quit the lease early, as most contracts are 12 months min.

carcajou Dec 30th 2017 4:53 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 12406943)
We lived in Dubai for quite a few years, then moved, and then moved again to Malaysia. We don't live in KL but visit it quite regularly and love the place.

Different strokes for different folks, but KL so much nicer to be in than Dubai, in my opinion. You will find lots of UAE tourists there in "summer", they like KL too!

When I was working in the UAE, I was offered a contract in Malaysia but turned it down for salary reasons.

I have visited the country and I agree with geedee - I quite liked KL and the regional areas around there. On a purely lifestyle perspective, I would prefer it to the Middle East if the finances worked out. I have worked in numerous developing countries - I rate Malaysia as quite pleasant and you certainly could do a lot worse. Food is very good, the locals approachable, and if you are outdoorsy, lots of different scenery and some world-class cities in KL and just across the border Singapore.

However I do know quite a few people who did make the Middle East to Malaysia jump and many of them didn't last long in Malaysia. One of my best friends did the jump, absolutely hated it and was gone within a year (went back to home country, not the Middle East). I think many of them thought, going from the Middle East to Malaysia, there would be an improvement in office culture and efficiency, and were really disappointed when that didn't materialise; additionally, all of them took a significant salary hit to leave the ME and go to Malaysia and I think the salary level may have seemed OK in the ME when it was theoretical and on paper, but once on the ground and receiving that salary - was not OK. There is lots of turnover and complaining just like in the Middle East. But that is my industry - you are, based on what you wrote, in a different one from me, maybe your industry pays the same or comparable for Malaysia and the ME.

I have another friend, who just moved there but from Australia, not the Middle East, and she and her husband are really enjoying it. Her parents (Americans) have been there for quite a few years and so also apparently find it OK!

8-12 months is quite good for a trial contract - if you hate it, it will be easy to say to yourself "just a few more months," and if you like it, hopefully negotiate a longer-term extension.

On a side note Malaysia has a reputation for being a centre of higher education for Arabs. It's seen as a place that grants valuable degrees that can be recognised in the West, and lots of them (Arab students) leave the Middle East on graduating high school and go to university there, and Arab professors take study tours etc through there.

OriginalSunshine Dec 31st 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 12406943)

A lot of Arabs have cheap apartments and stay there during Ramadan as the climate is better, and the hours are less (nearer the equator - 10 hours fasting better than 18!). It’s also a lot lot cheaper, and good food.

But.. outside of Ramadan there are less, which is a blessing as the young habibi continue their self entitled arrogance to a place that doesn’t give a f**k about their genetic purity 🤣

hnd Jan 1st 2018 8:49 am

Perhaps look at an aparthotel initially and use it as a base for your search? We stay at Ascott KL when we visit and it's only five minutes walk to Petronas Towers/Suria Mall, ten minutes walk to Bukit Bintang/Pavilion Mall.

patr Jan 8th 2018 1:16 am

Hi LittleMissMo83. We worked near KL for three years, retired and decided to stay. We moved right into the centre of KLCC, have lived here for three years and love it. The main advantages for us include being able to walk to several hundred restaurants, several malls (Pavilion and KLCC Suria are both within 5 minutes walk), two multiplex cinemas one of which shows all of the film festivals (French, European, Japanese, Korean, Singapore), KLCC park, three supermarkets, a good Philharmonic orchestra, banks, LRT, MRT and monorail lines and three of the four free bus lines. Another, of course is the cost of living. City centre life at considerably less than living anywhere in the UK.

Downsides are noise from building, air conditioners and traffic and, you have been informed rightly, trying to drive anywhere in rush hour.

Where you live will depend on your budget and how much space you need. Apartments start at just under 3000 ringitt per month and go up to over 15000. There are loads of empty apartments and prices are negotiable. The Iproperty website will give you an idea: https://www.iproperty.com.my/rent/klcc/all-residential/
Initial contracts are usually for two years with an expat clause that gives a release after one year, but all things are negotiable. I agree with hnd, somewhere for two weeks to a month whilst you look is a good idea.
Internations are very active in KL and seem to have a lot of special interest groups. https://www.internations.org/event/p...nt=207_1019084

The Thrifty Traveller (and Malaysia Traveller, same person) is an excellent travel blog for Malaysia and beyond.
https://thriftytraveller.wordpress.com/

Hope some of this helps and that you enjoy KL as much as we do.

amiraabdullah Feb 7th 2018 3:14 am

Hi there,

Thanks in advance,
B

hello and good day B.
amira here.
i believe moving to a new country would be an excited experience
no worries, i believe kl would be great for you and your another half!
if you need any advice on the accommodation, i can provide you much info need.

regards,
amira