British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL - Dogs, Internet, Nightlife (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-dogs-internet-nightlife-783388/)

ChristheCanadian Jan 11th 2013 2:55 pm

Moving to KL - Dogs, Internet, Nightlife

Hi All,

New to the forums. I'll be moving to KL in the coming months, and be there the first week of Feb for a house hunting mission. I'm looking for any advice on the following questions:

1) We have 2 dogs, does anyone have experience on how renting a place will be? We're looking to live as close to the KLCC / Golden Triangle as possible. Understandably this is mostly condro / highrise so it could be difficult. What are the closes areas that we may find dog friendly accommodation. Also, any areas that are easily accessible to KLCC by train?

2) Whats the fastest internet available in KL.. from what I see it's not very high? I'm currently using 100MB connection at my currently location (australia) and have become use to very fast connections (if I had to go back to a 10 - 20 MB connection I'd probably cry!).

3) What other areas outside the KLCC / Golden Triangle have a good restaurant, / cafe / nightlife? My partner and I are still in our 20s with no kids and enjoy being social when possible!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

ajw Jan 12th 2013 4:51 am

Re: Moving to KL - Dogs, Internet, Nightlife

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forums. Some advice for you noted below.

1. Places to live. North East of KLCC is Ampang, close to the city. South East is Mont Kiara, Damansara Heights, Sri Hartamas (no public transport), also Bangsar, Federal Hill (LRT stations close by for commuting).

2. Get the Kleenex out. 10mbs is considered fast here. We are with Astro IPTV who supply both our cable tv and internet service. They are pretty good (better than TM unifi) but I believe they only currently service condos. If you're in a house look at TM unifi and Maxis. At the end of the day you will get used to adjust to what you have (eventually).

3. Outside of KLCC area, Bangsar is probably your best option for going out. A lot of eating places in KL are based in malls (which I personally hate) but its the way it is and you get used to it. Bangsar still offers plenty of non mall options as does KLCC. Then you also have the local 'coffee shops' and makan/hawker places on the street. loads of great food to be had here and at amazing value!! I always buy Timeout KL which offers a good guide to whats going on, new restaurants etc etc.

Cheers
Ajw

bakedbean Jan 12th 2013 5:32 am

Not sure if this is of interest, but I know someone who did actually own a detached house in KLCC. Yes he did have quite a few bob to spare. So it is possible, but you'll need a fair bit of dosh available.

FWIW he found it very noisy in KLCC and sold and moved on.

As well as eateries and restaurants, you'll find a fair few pubs in KLCC and the surrounding areas. Some quite lively ones too....... if that is your thing.

Nemodot Jan 20th 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ChristheCanadian (Post 10477409)
Hi All,

New to the forums. I'll be moving to KL in the coming months, and be there the first week of Feb for a house hunting mission. I'm looking for any advice on the following questions:

1) We have 2 dogs, does anyone have experience on how renting a place will be? We're looking to live as close to the KLCC / Golden Triangle as possible. Understandably this is mostly condro / highrise so it could be difficult. What are the closes areas that we may find dog friendly accommodation. Also, any areas that are easily accessible to KLCC by train?

2) Whats the fastest internet available in KL.. from what I see it's not very high? I'm currently using 100MB connection at my currently location (australia) and have become use to very fast connections (if I had to go back to a 10 - 20 MB connection I'd probably cry!).

3) What other areas outside the KLCC / Golden Triangle have a good restaurant, / cafe / nightlife? My partner and I are still in our 20s with no kids and enjoy being social when possible!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Prepare for misery. In Malaysia think 1998 dial up modem speeds half the time..... voted 2nd worst speeds in the world per one survey I noted. Certainly a copy of War and Peace is needed to read when downloading a movie at times! And at work we have major issues with capacity.... Thailand in the middle of Isaan buffalo country is 20x faster. Go figure!

3. Prepare to be SPG'd lol

bakedbean Jan 20th 2013 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Nemodot (Post 10494092)

3. Prepare to be SPG'd lol

You have no idea what gender or persuasion Chris is. Very odd remark.

Atilla Jan 22nd 2013 4:11 pm

I visit KL often and have many friends there who are hard-core party animals. They all gravitate towards KLCC as the outlying areas are very so-so IMO. Depends what you're looking for. Most of the good places are are Bukit Bintang Chankat IMO. 'No Black Tie' (jazz club with some great singers - esp my chum Dasha Logan) well worth a visit.

Nemodot Jan 24th 2013 6:00 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10494110)
You have no idea what gender or persuasion Chris is. Very odd remark.

Not really - western female friends have gone to bars and women approached them thinking "must be lesbian"! Lesbians SPGs exist ;) many are bi as well (I can testify to that in my years in Asia - happily :p)

But Chris Canadian likely to be Male me thinks - 19/20 Canadians I met are male and there a lot in Asia! Including some Americans claiming to be Candaians of course..... (used to happen a lot due to anti-American feelings due to America keep invading others/supporting the 'illegal' state of Israel etc etc)

Of course this took ages to post on Malaysian internet speeds - been awful lately lots of outages in middle of KL. A national disgrace really. Cyberjaya shoudl be renamed 'Buffalosittingonlinejaya'

bakedbean Jan 24th 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Nemodot (Post 10502238)
Of course this took ages to post on Malaysian internet speeds - been awful lately lots of outages in middle of KL. A national disgrace really. Cyberjaya shoudl be renamed 'Buffalosittingonlinejaya'

Sorry to hear that. No idea what speed I am getting here in Penang, but posting is OK, no delays.