Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to KL - Customs Clearance

Moving to KL - Customs Clearance

Old Jul 18th 2019, 2:45 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to KL - Customs Clearance

We’re (hoping to be) moving to KL sometime in early September. Can anybody give us any idea of how long it might take for our half container/container of belongings to clear customs? I understand that this is one of those “how long is a piece of string” questions but any ideas at all would be helpful. Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2019, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to KL - Customs Clearance

Looking back it seems in 2016 our shipment took 2 weeks from arrival in KL to delivery in Penang.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:24 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. If that timing works the same for us that would be a result!
Old Jul 20th 2019, 1:02 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Ours took about four weeks to clear customs after arrival last September. But that’s because there are many (4!) public holiday weekends last year, and a similar amount this year
Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:26 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

OS, many thanks to you, too. We’re not expecting to ship until towards the end of August so we’ll just have to see how things go. Four weeks doesn’t sound unreasonable and I can think of worse things than having to stay in a serviced hotel apartment while we wait!
Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if still an issue, but I got advised to not to ship (or declare) books, other pritned matter, recordings and videos as that may cauuse delays.
This was 10 years ago.
Old Jul 20th 2019, 7:26 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

gunnar45, thanks for that. Had the same going from UK to Dubai and from there to Muscat and mrs hnd’s cookery books didn’t seem to cause too many problems. Hopefully our shippers here in Muscat and the receiving agents in KL (Allied Pickfords) know what they’re doing. Pickfords have looked after us for our last two moves so hopefully they’ll do the same this time � ����
Old Jul 20th 2019, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
I don't know if still an issue, but I got advised to not to ship (or declare) books, other pritned matter, recordings and videos as that may cauuse delays.
This was 10 years ago.
FWIW although I had to get rid of many of my books 1.5 of our 9 boxes were books, there was no way I was getting rid of some of them, no issues.

Old Oct 6th 2019, 12:24 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

An update for those who may be interested

Our container left Oman on 11th September and arrived in MY last Friday, 27th September. We were contacted by Allied Pickfords on Wednesday, 2nd October to say that it had cleared Customs and our belongings were delivered to us in KL on Friday, 4th October.

On the subject of books, we had two boxes of books which were itemised as such on the manifest and it doesn’t appear to have been an issue at all. A couple of our boxes had been opened for inspection (one contained a dismantled shelving unit, another clothes) but neither if those with the books had been touched.
Old Oct 6th 2019, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the update hnd, I would be interested to know your experience with Allied Pickfords?

Your container seemed to arrive pretty quickly was that by choice (extra payment?) or just a standard timescale from Oman?

How long did you have to book them in advance?
Old Oct 7th 2019, 2:48 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

We have used Allied Pickfords (or their local associates) for our moves from UK to Dubai (2005), from Dubai to Muscat (2012 - associate companies used in Muscat, most recently Golden Global Logistics) and now from Muscat to Kuala Lumpur. On each occasion we have been more than happy with the service. Their crews are extremely professional and polite and in all three moves we have had no breakages or losses.

Our container did arrive rather quickly - it surprised us, too. It wasn’t by choice ... I guess we were just lucky with the shipping schedules and space availability. We were also surprised, but thankful, that Customs clearance was so swift.

We booked GGL in Muscat about three weeks in advance. For various reasons we had to delay packing/shipping by a week but this didn’t seem to pose any problems. AP aren’t the cheapest but they are a well known international company and as such appear to have a good knowledge of local requirements and Customs formalities which I am sure was a factor in the swift delivery of our belongings.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Macsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for the information hnd and I hope the rest of your move continues successfully
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Just wondered if anyone has had any recent shipments through and if so the current delays?

Long story short I shipped some more gear when I was in the UK in September, obviously that should have arrived long ago but the company went bust and the goods were eventually shipped yesterday with an ETA of mid February. For me it's now a waiting game but in my shipment is my bike kit which I planned to take too China at the beginning of March. I'd sort of prepared myself to try and buy locally because it wouldn't be here in time but now it maybe or may not.
Old Jan 29th 2020, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

MCT2KL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hnd
We have used Allied Pickfords (or their local associates) for our moves from UK to Dubai (2005), from Dubai to Muscat (2012 - associate companies used in Muscat, most recently Golden Global Logistics) and now from Muscat to Kuala Lumpur. On each occasion we have been more than happy with the service. Their crews are extremely professional and polite and in all three moves we have had no breakages or losses.

Our container did arrive rather quickly - it surprised us, too. It wasn’t by choice ... I guess we were just lucky with the shipping schedules and space availability. We were also surprised, but thankful, that Customs clearance was so swift.

We booked GGL in Muscat about three weeks in advance. For various reasons we had to delay packing/shipping by a week but this didn’t seem to pose any problems. AP aren’t the cheapest but they are a well known international company and as such appear to have a good knowledge of local requirements and Customs formalities which I am sure was a factor in the swift delivery of our belongings.

Hope this helps.

Hi there

We are moving to Malaysia in August from Muscat. I'm looking at shipping options and wanted to know if GGL were any good at the Muscat and? Also, we won't be shipping a large amount, but items of value - Omani coffee table, lamps and nice photos in frames and pictures etc together with expensive guitars. Were they good at packing your items and what levels of insurance are available?

thanks
Old Jan 30th 2020, 11:49 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

@ MCT2KL, we were more than happy with GGL in Muscat and with Allied Pickfords at this end in KL. As I explained above, we used GGL in Muscat because they are/were (don’t know if they still are) AP’s local associate company and we figured that if they were good enough for AP they were good enough for us, too. We had a 4 bed villa and took almost all of our belongings with us - nearly a full 40’ container - and they packed it all up in just over four days. That was just short of 200 boxes or ‘packages’ as all furniture was wrapped/boxed in made to measure packages. Everything arrived in KL in one piece.

As for insurance, we took a calculated risk and didn’t bother, despite having some antique furniture and valuable artwork and rugs. The problem was that the insurance company that GGL used then insisted on absolutely everything, and I mean everything, being valued and itemised. If just one item wasn’t properly accounted for that invalidated the insurance. As we have some antique furniture and other items which are nigh on impossible to value we decided to take the risk and keep our fingers crossed that our container wouldn’t fall off the ship en route.

For our previous two moves we did take out insurance which almost doubled the cost of the move. However, the process was much easier - only high value items had to be itemised and other items could be lumped together, such as kitchenware, china & glassware etc. This was not the reason for not insuring this time as explained above. Perhaps it may be possible to arrange your own insurance for any high value items?

The contact details we have for GGL are as follows:

<snip>

Hope this helps

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 31st 2020 at 8:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.