Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to KL in August - British Expats to Share With?

Moving to KL in August - British Expats to Share With?

Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

SophieUK will become famous soon enough
Default Moving to KL in August - British Expats to Share With?

Hi Guys!

I'm moving to KL in August to work for IBM for a year, is there anyone else in a similar boat?

I'm looking to live near Bandhar Utama as that's where I will be working, but any advice on living/working in KL would be great!

Thanks

Sophie
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:43 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL in August - British Expats to Share With?

Hi Sophie and welcome to BE. Try looking through the existing threads on this sub-forum. There are tons of threads about folks moving to KL, working in KL, living in KL. Lots of info. All the best.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

TravellingKate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SophieUK
Hi Guys!

I'm moving to KL in August to work for IBM for a year, is there anyone else in a similar boat?

I'm looking to live near Bandhar Utama as that's where I will be working, but any advice on living/working in KL would be great!

Thanks

Sophie
Hi Sophie,
I'm moving to KL from London in August too. My husband will be teaching in Kota Damansara, so we'll probably be living not too far from where you are. We'll have to meet up when we're out there!

Kate
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Ah that's great Kate! Have you been before? It's going to be my first time! x
Old Apr 29th 2012, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Yes, we spent 2 weeks in KL in 2009, while travelling. Loved it. Food, people, weather, and nice mix of East and West. Job came up so he had to go for it - so happy to be going out there! Great base for travelling too.

I hope you like it! But if you like good food and hot weather I'm sure you will.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Haha that sounds brilliant to me! There is sun then? All I've been told is to expect cloud and humidity!

Whereabouts are you planning to live?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Haha that sounds brilliant to me! There is sun then? All I've been told is to expect cloud and humidity!

Whereabouts are you planning to live?
Haha, yes there is sun! We're not sure about where we'll live - but somewhere between KLCC and Kota Damansara. We've got two weeks to look around when we get there. I look at iproperty.com.my all the time and there seems to be an absolute load of condos on offer, so shouldn't be too difficult.
So are you getting an internal transfer or taking a new job?
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Its a graduate job that I got through an internship at IBM last year. It's the first time they've done a scheme like this though so everything's taking forever to sort out. The plan is that I start in KL and then move countries every year for 3 years!

I was planning to get an apartment from iproperty but as I'm moving over alone I thought I'd try and be a bit more sociable and share somewhere so I've been looking on ibilik which is quite good. I want to live in either Bangsar or nearer work in Bandar Utama, hopefully with some expats as my boyfriend wants to come visit for a couple of weeks and I don't know how laid back locals would be about him staying!

Are you going to find a job over there or take the opportunity to be a lady of leisure ? x
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Its a graduate job that I got through an internship at IBM last year. It's the first time they've done a scheme like this though so everything's taking forever to sort out. The plan is that I start in KL and then move countries every year for 3 years!

I was planning to get an apartment from iproperty but as I'm moving over alone I thought I'd try and be a bit more sociable and share somewhere so I've been looking on ibilik which is quite good. I want to live in either Bangsar or nearer work in Bandar Utama, hopefully with some expats as my boyfriend wants to come visit for a couple of weeks and I don't know how laid back locals would be about him staying!

Are you going to find a job over there or take the opportunity to be a lady of leisure ? x
Sharing sounds like a good idea, although it also seems pretty easy to make friends - busy social scene by the sounds of it!

I'm a writer and editor, so I can work from pretty much anywhere as a freelance. (Though I do plan on doing some of that 'work' by the pool/bar/balcony etc!)

That graduate programme sounds incredible, what a coup, well done on getting it.
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:30 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TravellingKate
(Though I do plan on doing some of that 'work' by the pool/bar/balcony etc!)
Ah... the way to go
Old Apr 30th 2012, 6:13 am
Just Joined

Hehe, yes best of both worlds, that's the plan!