Reload this Page >

Moving to KL August 2013!

Moving to KL August 2013!

Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:33 am
Just Joined

sarah2mix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to KL August 2013!

Help!!
I am a single female teacher, moving for a teaching post in KL this summer.
I'm leaving the UK and it's the first time I have lived outside it- so ANY advice would be gratefully received.
Any advice on what I need to do before leaving the UK (the school will be arranging visas)?
What essentials are good to bring?
Good ways of meeting people?
As I said any hints and tips would be a great help.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:34 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL August 2013!

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum

There are a lot of teachers moving to KL this summer and I reckon most of them are posting on this forum. There are loads of existing threads on here. Have a look through the Malaysia section and try tagging on to some existing threads. There's a lot of info on here already. All the best.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

hpotter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

Which school are you starting at? A lot of schools operate a buddy system and a 'buddy' from your school should get in contact with you. Failing that, I teach in KL and have been here 3 years. If you have any questions please contact me at <snip>

Harry

Last edited by Sue; Jun 9th 2013 at 6:02 pm. Reason: Best not to post your email address on a public forum
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Ah thanks for your response guys.
I'll have some bedtime reading later and know to ask about the 'buddy system'.
Busy times ahead- thanks again and hope you're both well!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:44 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yes do have a good read through this section. There are LOADS of teachers posting on here currently.

For your info, the PM function on here works when you have done 3 posts, so you've got one more to go. Bear in mind, those with only 1 or 2 posts won't be able to read any PMs until they get going on this forum. There's a drop down menu if you click on someone's name. You'll see Send a Personal Message on there.

If someone has the Email box ticked in their profile, you can also send emails to them from the very same drop down menu.

However.....do please post as many questions on here or on other threads as it always helps out other folks who are visiting the forum. Always good to discuss in the open, unless it is something personal of course.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

mongoose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarah2mix
Help!!
I am a single female teacher, moving for a teaching post in KL this summer.
I'm leaving the UK and it's the first time I have lived outside it- so ANY advice would be gratefully received.
Any advice on what I need to do before leaving the UK (the school will be arranging visas)?
What essentials are good to bring?
Good ways of meeting people?
As I said any hints and tips would be a great help.

Thanks
Hi

I would say just be careful of people trying to take advantage of you. I recently arrived here and feel that as a foreign female people treat you differently. The estate agent I first used kept showing me old apartments and increasing the price of the rent. I know this because after the viewings I checked on the internet and found the same places advertised for much less. I stopped using that agent. Then the hire car company delivered a car that was not working properly and then accused me of damaging it and said it was typical of someone like me (foreign) to do something like that!
There are some friendly and helpful people, I have made friends with a few malaysian ladies and even on a recent trip to the market when I asked for the price of a item I was told RM80 when my malaysian friend went back later she was told RM40!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:45 am

Haggling is a way of life here. You will not always get the same prices as locals. Same applies to males not just females.

Prices of everything are variable. It's a different system, that's all. You can even haggle at banks sometimes for better interest rates.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Too true BB! As I've mentioned on other threads, "foreigner" prices abound. For example, last year, before arriving in M'sia, I had sent an email to a (Chinese) builder asking for a rough price for building a 4 bedroomed house. His price then was around RM440,000. When we met him just after arriving here, the price had suddenly increased to RM 800,000+!
Another example was when my (Malaysian) wife negotiated a price for a JCB + driver for 4 days to clear our land and take everything away, they agreed on RM 3,000. On the first day, when we both turned up, he tried very hard to re-negotiate the deal. My wife stuck firmly to her guns and the price remained.
One other example that we may have found was in a Pharmacy. I have 4 different pills to take, but we can only get 3 of them in Malaysia. The pharmacist was very good and very helpful. However, the first trip cost RM140 for 1 month's supply for the 3 they have. Last time, my wife went in on her own, and it only cost RM96! It is just possible that he made a mistake the second time, but we will find out later this week when we get next month's supply and my wife will go in on her own again.......

As BB says, if you are unfortunate enough not to have any local connections, the only way is to haggle for all you are worth. Decide what you think would be a fair price/reasonable price and stick to it. If you cannot agree then walk away! Same applies with taxis. Insist on them using the meter - most will, but you will still get the odd ones that would rather quote a price. Either negotiate down (probably between 25% and 40%) or wait for one who will use the meter.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 5:51 pm

Yes pharmacies give discounts too
Old Jun 12th 2013, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the responses on this thread- they've all been very useful. So haggling most definitely seems to be a way of life in KL- when it comes to a lot of things- I'd better get practicing.
I'm working my way through the mountain of different threads, all good info!!