British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL Aug 2014 but having a massive panic! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-aug-2014-but-having-massive-panic-819562/)

JKLMAL14 Dec 28th 2013 11:33 am

Moving to KL Aug 2014 but having a massive panic!

Hi,

I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks now and it seems you are a really helpful bunch! I'm hoping you can put me at ease or at least give some advice if you don't mind?
I have secured a job at an international school which means me, my husband and my daughter will be coming over in August. I think my package is quite good, should have 10,000 myr each month after tax and my accommodation and daughters school fees are covered. Does this sound okay assuming my husband doesn't get work immediately?
My main worry is what my husband will do, as some sites make it sound like an impossibility! He would be looking for entry level engineering preferably civil but he doesn't have a degree, only HNC. Prior to this he has ten years plumbing. He is willing to take a junior role to gain experience and salary isn't really a big issue. Are there any employment agencies specifically for expats? If push came to shove do you think there are firms who would take him non unpaid to gain experience? Our other option would be for him to may be continue studying at one of the new UK campuses like Nottingham but I doubt we'd get any help with fees etc.
This could be such an amazing opportunity for us but I want us all to be happy. My husband is a very positive person who is more than willing to get stuck in to networking when we arrive if that's what it takes?

Sorry if this is rambling!

JKL

bakedbean Dec 28th 2013 12:14 pm

Re: Moving to KL Aug 2014 but having a massive panic!

Just to say :welcome: to the forum.

JKLMAL14 Dec 28th 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks Bakedbean! Joining this forum is starting to make things feel a bit more real! So excited : ) :fingerscrossed:

geedee Dec 29th 2013 2:31 pm

Best thing you can do is treat it like an adventure, a break from the routine humdrum! Come over with the intention of enjoying yourselves, no matter what. Make sure you have return tickets, or the money for them, kept to one side. It's not permanent unless you want it to be. Home is 12 hours away.
You have a chance that many people dream of... it will be different, at times it will be difficult, but you'll look back, whatever happens, and say "We Did It!!".
Good luck.

Forgot to mention... Malaysia is beautiful, and filled with really nice people!

JKLMAL14 Dec 29th 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks so much for the positive response feeder! Think I just have a few 'wobbles' occasionally but most of the time I know things will work out. I appreciate you taking the time to respond : )

JKLMAL14 Dec 29th 2013 3:40 pm

Whoops! That should say *geedee not feeder! Stupid predictive text!

Lou_from_Corby Dec 30th 2013 7:47 pm

Hi

This wasn't my message..... does my message need to be released? Or did it get lost in the ether and I need to retype? Lou

Lou_from_Corby Dec 30th 2013 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by JKLMAL14 (Post 11053395)
Hi,

I think my package is quite good, should have 10,000 myr each month after tax and my accommodation and daughters school fees are covered. Does this sound okay assuming my husband doesn't get work immediately?
This could be such an amazing opportunity for us but I want us all to be happy.

JKL

We are in similar situation. I'm teaching, the kids fees are covered and hubbie has no job - as yet. I have researched his chances and ours seem slim as my hubbie is 47! Many agencies state under 40. Also minimum wage for entry level is about myr 900-1000. 40 hours manual work plus travel for £160-200 a month. I did see a production supervisor job (which my husband did in the UK about ten years ago for £20k) for 3000myr a month. BUT when cost of living and utilities according to (http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...2=Kuala+Lumpur ) are 300 myr then 13000 would be an excellent household income. I also found this: http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http:/...ppRRXAzXOLVHnw
To work out the net salary. If you have any of this sorry. What school are you working at? I'm joining Epsom as an English teacher. Lou :thumbsup:

JKLMAL14 Dec 31st 2013 9:31 am

Lou I've sent you a private message! X

FMHARI Jan 1st 2014 12:40 pm

Hi JKLMAL14 and Lou,

I'm new to this forum and I have been in KL for about 12 months under the MM2H (Malaysia My Second Home) program and in the process of setting up a business where your partners may become handy. If interested PM (not that i know how it works) me and we can tee up for a chat.

bakedbean Jan 1st 2014 12:49 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum :). For your info, the PM function only works after you've done three posts.

We were discussing work under MM2H on another thread on here. Was it easy to get permission from MM2H to work?

FMHARI Jan 1st 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for the advise and this will be my 3rd post.

According to the MM2H website we can request the Ministry approval for Part Time work if we are above 50yrs and have a job offer. I'm also told, not a 100% sure, that if you have a skill that is in demand you can get approval to work under the MM2H Visa.

However, I can do business and work as a consultant under my own business name and I'm setting up my own business.

bakedbean Jan 1st 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for that info. I'm a bit surprised as I thought that it was difficult to get approval. Certainly my conditional approval letter MM2H specifically says that I cannot work.....ehrm doesn't bother me as I've done enough work this lifetime.

I've just bumped the Working under MM2H topic to the top of this sub forum, in the hope that you'll give some info on how to get approval from the authorities. I'm sure that would be interesting for other MM2Hers.

gobbledonk Jan 2nd 2014 4:05 am

BB, I'd like to thank this opportunity to thank you for your tireless efforts on this board - with 3.75 (!) months left till I get on the plane, its a relief to know that I can post here without feeling as though I'd have more luck consulting the magpies outside :D

I dont know what it is about expat forums centred on Malaysia, but even my Indo forum gets a lot more traffic than all the Malaysia forums I know of *combined*. I look forward to being able to contribute more once I get settled and have some facts and figures to help others looking to make the move.

bakedbean Jan 2nd 2014 4:47 am

Thanks Gobbledonk. There's quite a few helpful posters in the Malaysia section and it's Give and Take for all of us. I get some answers too. Yes, do stick around....the more, the merrier.....it all helps folks moving here :thumbup: