Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to KL in Aug 2013

Moving to KL in Aug 2013

Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to KL in Aug 2013

Originally Posted by Bluenose1

There is a company in the U.K. that will let you ship small loads - we had to send 3 more boxes just before we left (about the same size as the one we took with us), and they charge a minimum of £20 per box, or by weight (having said that, they still haven't actually arrived yet!).
Care to share the company name?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:50 am
Just Joined

FPoste is an unknown quantity at this point

Hadn't even thought about baggage allowance... Just wondered what everyone was thinking in terms of accommodation and location -sticking to Kota Damansara? And whether everyone is going to arrange permanent accommodation before moving over? Any responses would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

pagie22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FPoste
Hadn't even thought about baggage allowance... Just wondered what everyone was thinking in terms of accommodation and location -sticking to Kota Damansara? And whether everyone is going to arrange permanent accommodation before moving over? Any responses would be much appreciated!
I keep looking - But then thinking it's best to see it first... We get put up in a hotel for 2 weeks when we arrive - I guess I intend to have location in mind but nowhere definite. I'm weighing up the pro's and cons of a apartment or a house...
Old Apr 21st 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pagie22
I keep looking - But then thinking it's best to see it first... We get put up in a hotel for 2 weeks when we arrive - I guess I intend to have location in mind but nowhere definite. I'm weighing up the pro's and cons of a apartment or a house...
Two weeks can seem a long time now but it'll fly by when you are looking for accommodation.
Try to prioritise before you arrive.

I expect you'll already know your budget.
But think about:
Area
type of accom
Number of bedrooms
Room for a maid
Place to park
Proximity to public transport.

It's possible to do quite a bit online with maps and accommodation agencies before you arrive especially if you know place of work and what you are looking for.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

wanderlust81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been having a bit of a look on Google Maps and some property sites to check out the possibilities. It seems with the traffic it's probably sensible to stick near to Kota Damansara. There are a few developments around the area that seem ok and fit into our accomodation allowance. Been looking at Casa Indah 1 and 2, Casa Tropicana, Cova Villa as possibles...
Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

FPoste is an unknown quantity at this point

Checked out those blocks -rather like the idea of living in a complex with a pool etc. This may seem a bit forward but if anyone else making the move is looking to share accommodation let me know. Would be nice to have a vague idea about my housing arrangements before I fly out!
Old May 16th 2013, 7:23 am
Just Joined

songanddance is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all those moving out to Kota Damansara. I live in the area already and can make a few suggestions. Cas Indah 1 and 2 are okay but are right on a main road where they are currently building the LRT. There are a few good places nearby, Casa Tropicana is okay but for me Riana Green is better. Lots of space, lots of swimming pools and enough amenities to make up for the fact that it is a couple of km from the nearest 'town'. There is also a place called Damansara Perdana, a bit further from the school but close to a bus route if you're happy with it, again, lots of space and amenities, damansara perdana is a bit more built up than the area around Riana Green too.

Kota Damansara itself is a little backwater on the edge of KL but quite a fun place to live. Plenty of stuff going on nearby and the centre of KL is only a 20 minute taxi ride away. If you fancy somewhere bigger and closer to more 'expat' action think about Mont Kiara, Bangsar etc though for the money you'll spend I think you'd have a better quality of life in KD.

I actually work at Sri KDU at present but am moving on next year. You're coming at the right time for the school and I hope you have a great time. If you want any further info please just mail me.
Old May 16th 2013, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Care to share the company name?
Sorry for the delay in replying, ex reg. The 3 boxes finally arrived yesterday - "only" took 9 weeks 5 days! We actually got a phone call about 2 weeks ago to confirm that the shipment had arrived in Malaysia at Port Klang.

The company is called shippingtomalaysia, although they might also go under the name of PAL. So far as we could tell, our boxes had not been opened/inspected.
Old May 16th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
Sorry for the delay in replying, ex reg. The 3 boxes finally arrived yesterday - "only" took 9 weeks 5 days! We actually got a phone call about 2 weeks ago to confirm that the shipment had arrived in Malaysia at Port Klang.

The company is called shippingtomalaysia, although they might also go under the name of PAL. So far as we could tell, our boxes had not been opened/inspected.
Thanks very much for that.

Do you have a UK contact, either phone or email.
I'm hoping that they'll also do a shipment to Singapore.
Old May 16th 2013, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
Thanks very much for that.

Do you have a UK contact, either phone or email.
I'm hoping that they'll also do a shipment to Singapore.
From the Shiping form, the website is: http://www.shippingtomalaysia.com; (which will actually take you to PAL Shipping!) email is [email protected]. I think they are based (in the UK) in the North West (either Manchester or Liverpool), but they did pick up from our home in Derby and delivered to our door in Melaka. PAL is Perintis Alaf Logistik (M) Snd. Bhd. and they have an address in Malaysia.

From the Delivery Note:
38 Lintang Sultan Mohamed 1A, Pusat Perdagangan Bandar Sultan Sulaiman, 42000 Pelabuhan Klang, Selangor, Malaysia.

Tel: 03-3176 0591. There is also another website and email address on the delivery note:

www.perintisalaflogistik.com.my (this link doesn't seem to have much there!) and [email protected]

I'm afraid that I don't have their U.K. number - that was in my wife's phone which was stolen in our first couple of weeks here!

Hopefully you should have enough information to contact them!

Last edited by Bluenose1; May 16th 2013 at 1:46 pm.
Old May 16th 2013, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, the contact number was on the shippingtomalaysia website.

I gave them a ring and they do ship to Singapore but there it is taxed, unlike Malaysia.
Anyway they said they'd get back to me with a rough cost.
Old May 19th 2013, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

wanderlust81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info SongandDance. Really useful to have specific information from someone on the spot, particularly someone from the same school!

To those of your asking about shipping, I've just found out that we will get 1 cubic meter of shipping provided, to be shipped before we leave. That information came from the principal, so should be reliable.
Old May 19th 2013, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Scala1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I accepted a job at Nexus Putrajaya, really looking forward to moving to Malaysia! Does anyone have advice on housing close-ish to the school? I know it's the key sticking point for some staff. I'm trying to search IOI resort properties on I property site, but which region should I put into the search? Putrajaya doesn't come up as an option.
Any other advice would be welcomed, or PMs from anyone who'll be working at Nexus x
Old May 19th 2013, 2:25 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, PM function will only work for you after 3 posts. You need one more
Old May 19th 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Scala1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here's my 3rd then - thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.