British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving to KL in Aug 2013 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-kl-aug-2013-a-789485/)

RACH_T Mar 5th 2013 9:34 am

Moving to KL in Aug 2013

Im hoping that someone on here can share some experiences of living in KL. I have just accepted a job teaching at Sri KDU International School starting in September. Im hoping to travel to Malaysia with my boyf but he hasnt heard back about his job yet! I could do with some info on the best places to live, whats it like getting about the city, and what sort of things do I need to organise before I leave! Im very excited but also slightly nervous about this massive move...so some reassuring words would be much apprieciated!

Looking forward to hearing what anyone has to say!

RT x:D

bakedbean Mar 5th 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Moving to KL in Aug 2013

Hello Rach. Just to say welcome to the forum :)

I'm not based in KL so cannot help you much. Our Malaysia Concierge ajw should be along soon and usually has a ton of great info about KL, as do a number of other KL posters.

In the meantime, do have a browse through the Malaysia section. You'll find a lot of existing threads which may be of interest.

mikemike Mar 6th 2013 5:05 am

Originally Posted by RACH_T (Post 10584367)
Im hoping that someone on here can share some experiences of living in KL. I have just accepted a job teaching at Sri KDU International School starting in September. Im hoping to travel to Malaysia with my boyf but he hasnt heard back about his job yet! I could do with some info on the best places to live, whats it like getting about the city, and what sort of things do I need to organise before I leave! Im very excited but also slightly nervous about this massive move...so some reassuring words would be much apprieciated!

Not sure what your time or budget constraints are. As September is a while off, why not go out for a week and take a look around. Try out the travel in the city, perhaps your Bf can follow his application up by being there. Book appointments to review rentals so you can see what you can expect to pay for etc.

Just a thought

ajw Mar 6th 2013 5:19 am

Hi Rach

Welcome to the Malaysia forum. I've heard very good things about Sri KDU, it sounds like a fantastic school with very high standards.

In terms of where to live it depends on how important it is for you to be close to work. There are plenty of condos in the Kota Damansara area. You could also look at Tropicana, Bandar Utama. If you want to be closer into town for weekend accessibility, Bangsar could be a good option for you (but it will cost more). Have a look at iproperty.com.my for rentals.

Wherever you live, you will probably need a car so budget for this. Public transport options are better closer into town and around KLCC itself. Taxis are cheap but I personally wouldn't want to rely on one getting me to and from work everyday. If you plan on getting a car here bring proof of your no claims from home - it will be accepted by the local insurance company.

I know quite a few teachers here (as a parent of the school and as friends) who teach in the international schools; its a friendly community, offers a good lifestyle and gives you loads of opportunity to head off to travel the region easily. Our school has a very low turnover of teachers which is a good indication that they enjoy life in Malaysia!

I hope this helps and do let us know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers
ajw

Dd33 Mar 8th 2013 2:54 am

I agree with ajw. I have friends who send their kids to sri KDU international and sri KDU smart school and they are all very happy.

They are extending the train network so in a few years it will reach kota damansara area which will be great but in the meantime if I were you I would live near the school or at least this side of the LDP to avoid traffic(there are condos near one utama and the curve -both big malls if kota damansara is too quiet for you) and then just commute into the city for nights out. We used Christin Lim as our estate agent, she knows this side of town very well and will drive you around to check places out. You can find her on iproperty.com.my under find an agent.

Good luck with the new job.

RACH_T Mar 8th 2013 5:06 pm

This is great thanks. As the school are providing me with flights I am yet to find out if they pick the dates I fly out! Ideally 1 or 2 weeks before my start date so I can find my feet. Thanks for all your comments, keep them coming...the next 6 months will probably fly by!

Toby Tyke Mar 8th 2013 11:10 pm

Hello Rach.

I will send you a private message regarding the school.

RACH_T Mar 8th 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks Toby!

KDYingYang Mar 10th 2013 4:40 pm

Hi, KDU Int'l is in Kota Damansara. There are at least 4 completed high-rise residential condominiums which are nearest/within walking distance to KDU schools (consisting Primary, Secondary and International). I mentioned completed because there are many more high-rise residential apartment/condo currently under construction, this area is undergoing heavy development/construction, including the MRT project.

Initially, it’s advisable for you to find a place nearby (to the school) so that you don’t have to worry about transports (cab/taxi is unpredictable unless you book upfront), you can always look around later once you’ve settled down. Usually min rental period is 1 year. If you want to walk to the KDU schools, Cova Suites or Cova Villa apartments (20- 23 storey) is your option as they are directly opposite these schools, just across the road. Human traffic (pedestrians on foot during peak hours) and density is high as there are many students renting (from Segi college which are next to the KDU schools) and nurses (from the nursing school as well as from the hospital next to the college). Within the same compound/downstairs, Cova Square (shop lots) includes 7-Eleven, restaurants serving local food, Secret Recipe, Subway, mini-mart, etc. At night or weekend, not much activity here.

Other options: Tropicana Resort Homes high-rise are Casa Indah 1 (19 storey) or Casa Indah 2 (26 storey) Condominium. These will be 10-15 minutes walk to the school. I’d seen some teachers (KDU Int’l) cycle or walk or take the KDU school vans to KDU Int’l school from Casa Indah. Casa Indah (1 & 2) are nearer to more amenities – Dataran Sunway, consisting a mall (Sunway Giza Mall), many banks, restaurants some are 24-hrs, shop selling bicycle, hair salons, bakery, police station, etc are just across the junction. This area is more active day & night, weekdays & weekend.

Check out the google map to see the location of each of these condo.

Future (by 2016) MRT stations – there will be one very near/outside the KDU Int’l school field, with the next station in front/opposite Giza Mall, i.e., this site namely Tropicana Gardens (across the street to Casa Indah 1) is planned for 4 blocks of high-rise (more than 40 storey).

Hope this helps. Pls pm me your email if you need more info, I can't pm you as I m new to this forum & I need to write 3 posts before I can use this function.

bakedbean Mar 11th 2013 4:13 am

Hi KDYingYang. Welcome to the forum. That's a very helpful first post :thumbup:

How long have you been living in KL?

KDYingYang Mar 12th 2013 2:17 am

Hi. Actually I clicked at a search link & ended on this site, hope the info I'd share can help. I'm local. I do know the feeling of moving to another country, not knowing what to expect, etc etc. Been to HK, Dubai. If you guys need any info, just pm me.

Back to the KD area, it used to be forest, development took off since 2001, now a very vibrant place, a township by itself, you don't have to travel out to get things done. If you want to avoid traffic congestion during peak time on your working days, staying in KD is good enough. It's 20-30 minutes drive to KL city, 10-15 minutes drive to other surrounding malls/place to hang out such as Bangsar, One Utama, The Curve. It has easy access to expressway/highway, down south to Melaka-Johor-Singapore, up north to Perak-Penang.

If you like golf, there are 2 golf course in KD. Tropicana Golf & Country Club is based on membership, high-end/expensive. Seri Selangor Golf Club (Casa Indah 1 & 2 enjoy this golf view) is public, meaning you don't have to be a member, just walk in.

Caution, when you want to rent a place, do not place deposit to individual name or transfer online upfront, get it done at a proper agency. No hurry, there are plenty of units available.

pagie22 Mar 17th 2013 1:00 pm

Hi Racht - I have literally just accepted a job at the same place, going with boyfriend and in the same position as yourself - hopefully get some answers on ehre hey!?

wanderlust81 Mar 17th 2013 5:13 pm

Amazing! I have just accepted a job at the same school! Moving out at the same time as both of you. Great to have found some people in the same position.

JB24 Mar 20th 2013 9:07 pm

Hi, me and my fiancé are moving out and starting at the same school!
We got the contracts yesterday! Says the move will be August 18th. Excited and nervous too!

pagie22 Mar 21st 2013 6:19 am

Yeh I got my contract through yesterday aswell! Does the 18th mean we begin work that day, or fly out the date? What do we think?