Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Moving to KL - Advice please!

Moving to KL - Advice please!

Old May 10th 2007, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Lindsaylupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to KL - Advice please!

Originally Posted by newbrit
Hi Lindsay!
I have just moved here a week ago from N Yorkshire with my husband and 2 children aged 1 and 3. I may have some good advice for you. Please email/pm me.
Hi newbrit! Hope you're settling in OK. I'd love to hear how you are getting on, & any advice you may have. We are still in negotiating process, & my husband will probably have to go out in the next few weeks. Whereabouts in NYorks did you relocate from?
Speak to you soon

Lindsay
Old May 11th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

xakiat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lindsaylupin
My husband has just been offered a job in KL, & we are looking for advice! We are complete newbies to expat living, and have 3 children aged 9, 6 & 1. We are in the process of negotiating his contract, but we are worried that we are missing something out, or whether we have not got a good deal, etc. Can anyone advise what should be included as must haves, and any nice to haves?

I'm also after general advice - where to live, what are good schools (we've looked at the web site of the Alice Smith school, is it any good?), what is a decent rental rate, etc. Also what kind of general day to costs are we likely to incur? Sorry to ask so much but any help would be much appreciated!

thanks

Lindsay
Hey there, don't forget KL is a muslim state, so do be aware of the local rules and policies. But life is very affordable, and because of the controls in media, it's probably a good place for your kids to grow up in. Also, if you're looking for a place to stay, here's a blog of two apartments for rent that a friend saw online recently. The 2-storey Armanee Terrace Duplex might just be up your alley for your family.

http://klcondos.blogspot.com
Old May 12th 2007, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

newbrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Lindsay
About half of the population in KL are Muslim and there is a very western feeling about the place - especially in the expat areas and KL centre. There is a nice mix of Eastern/Western people and everyone is really friendly
I have sent you an email.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

lazycow is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to KL - Advice please!

My husband has just been offered a job in KL, & we are looking for advice! We are complete newbies to expat living, and have 3 children aged 9, 6 & 1. We are in the process of negotiating his contract, but we are worried that we are missing something out, or whether we have not got a good deal, etc. Can anyone advise what should be included as must haves, and any nice to haves?

I'm also after general advice - where to live, what are good schools (we've looked at the web site of the Alice Smith school, is it any good?), what is a decent rental rate, etc. Also what kind of general day to costs are we likely to incur? Sorry to ask so much but any help would be much appreciated!

thanks

Lindsay

Hi Lindsaylupin,

If you are looking place in Malaysia you need to know where is your husband office located. I can suggest you another place to stay which is Bangsar, Mon't Kiara & Sri Hartamas. If for your kids schooling I personally prefer Mon't Kiara/Sri Hartamas becasue surrounding have International and Garden School. Besides is very convenient and a lot of expartriates staying there.
If you do need any help on looking a place to stay in Malaysia do let me know because I working in real estate firm.

warmest,
lazycow
Old Jul 30th 2007, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Lindsaylupin is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks

Lindsay
Just to give you all an update & thanks once again to all who gave advice!! We are shortly about to move to KL at the start of September & I'm really looking forward to it. Kids have places in school (just!!!) so the pressure is off.
Just one last piece of advice needed now please - we have the packers booked for the last week of August but I'm not so sure about taking out their insurance (3.5% of total value of goods - seems an excessive amount). Can anyone advise what they did when they moved out & who they used if they took out insurance? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
A great way to make new friends in the expat community is MANZA; the "Malaysian Australian & New Zealand Association". I was a volunteer office worker in their Singapore counterpart, ANZA.

Any nationality can join and their activities are a lot of fun and you can get great info on all aspects of expat life from Manza. They also have lots of activities for children too and sport is a big part of Manza....they are Aussies and Kiwis after all! You may even want to do some charity work with the charities they are affiliated with once you have settled in and have time on your hands.

http://www.manza.org

http://www.manza.org/new/newcomers.html

There is also a British Association but if it's anything like the one in Singapore you may find it rather staid/sedate/stuffy compared to Manza.

Hope this helps!
PS: My children went to Tanglin Trust School in Singapore and United World College of SE Asia. Quite a number of pupils had either previously lived in KL and had attended Alice Stevens or were leaving Singapore for KL and were being enrolled there. I've only ever heard good things about Alice Stevens so you should have no worries!

I have recently returned after 4 and a half very happy years in KL and enjoyed every single minute of it. I think the best advice i can add is read all everyone else has to say and then make your own mind up. If you have children either a condo or house with a pool would be the best option i think and we did not have a huge budget or allowance for accommodation but we had a lovely 3 bedroom condominium apartment for RM3500 per month in Bangsar which was really really nice and central for everything. You need to find somewhere to live which is not going to cause hubby stress everyday getting to and from the office as the traffic is very slow in rush hour and even worse when the heavens open up. The Association of British Women in Malaysia (ABWM) is by no means stuffy and staid and has lots going on their website is www.abwm.com.my. I had a lady who helped me around the house, we helped each other in lots of ways and she was very trustworthy. I hate the word maid i do not have one at home here so would never have one anywhere else. I have never heard of the Alice Stevens school I think it might be the Alice Smith School which if it is has a very good reputation. Good luck in your adventure and I really envy you your time in KL. You will meet lots of lovely people and if lucky like me will make life long friends.

Last edited by Amazing Grace; Jul 30th 2007 at 8:33 pm.