Moving from HK to KL

Old Aug 29th 2019, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving from HK to KL

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I would not consider Phuket or Thailand although I live there. Reason are visa issues. Every year you need to re-apply for the guardian visa. It may be fine for the wife but not for the husband. Commuting between HKG and Thailand will be a bureaucratic nightmare. The risk of being questioned by immigration after ??? visits and the chance of getting turned back after ???visits. Every time you come/go your wife has to file a report with immigration, called TM30. Cost of living is lower than HKG but it is higher than Malaysia. Easiest way for a visa would be Thailand Elite Program if you have spare money you can write off.
Good luck wherever you decide to go.
He has 3 Kids in school easy to get guardians Visa three kids three guardians Visa. TM 30 Drive-thru it’s very easy nowadays. My son goes to Headstart international school 350K for primary 400K for a secondary including lunch after-school program four days a week, there is a facility of swimming pool, football, basketball, judo, drama, ballet languages or More. And the guardian VisA Cost 2800 re-entry cost 3800 per year or 1K per time. We have Four bedroom house with salt water swimming pool garden Maid room on side 24-hour security gated community 40K month, water bill 300 and Electric Around 3K. For Family of three. Yes Phuket it can be expensive if You want imported food just like Hong Kong Locally can be very cheap.

Last edited by Jenny234; Aug 30th 2019 at 12:02 am.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rs2000
for reason of commuting from HK and for familiarity, I do want to move my family to KL. kindly help with my questions
You do know that Cathay Pacific has a direct flight between Hong Kong and Penang? Your choice is not limited to KL.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny234

He has 3 Kids in school easy to get guardians Visa three kids three guardians Visa. TM 30 Drive-thru it’s very easy nowadays. My son goes to Headstart international school 350K for primary 400K for a secondary including lunch after-school program four days a week, there is a facility of swimming pool, football, basketball, judo, drama, ballet languages or More. And the guardian VisA Cost 2800 re-entry cost 3800 per year or 1K per time. We have Four bedroom house with salt water swimming pool garden Maid room on side 24-hour security gated community 40K month, water bill 300 and Electric Around 3K. For Family of three. Yes Phuket it can be expensive if You want imported food just like Hong Kong Locally can be very cheap.
The Op asks about KL and not about Phuket.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine

ive already answered some of them. What more do you need to know?
I guess the Op's comment is just to point out that he isn't interested in Phuket or Kuching but just wants answers to KL questions.
Cathay going to Penang may be another option?
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Jenny234 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Op asks about KL and not about Phuket.
I was trying to help get off your high horse!
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jenny234

I was trying to help get off your high horse!
You shouldn't help me but the Op about KL questions.
Old Aug 30th 2019, 8:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the Op's comment is just to point out that he isn't interested in Phuket or Kuching but just wants answers to KL questions.
and I had, so what’s your point?
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

rs2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.

Some points, I want to either goto KL or JB (and try finding job in Singapore). For personal reasons, I would stick to areas in these cities as it will be easier for my family to settle in (we know a few friends/acquaintances in these cities too)
I have heard conflicting comments on budget for KL

can you please help me with :

groceries (local and imported)
kids tuitions and extra curricular classes
utilities for a 2500 sqft apartment
Misc

thanks!
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids tuition is about correct depending on the school. Each school has a variety of application, association, laboratory fees, trip fees, etc. These can be substantial.

The suggestion above that you obtain 3 guardian visas might be tangible. But not if one of the guardians is commuting back to HK every week. Maybe you could do it by having your parents and spouse do the Guardian visas. But what happens if the ask about YOUR repeated trips in and out? Guardian visas are only good for one year and must be renewed with the Student Visa. As soon as the child reaches the age of 18 and is eligible for Tertiary education, I think the Guardian visa is not offered any more (the exception may be Muslim females). Extracurricular activities...depends on what you want your kids doing. But generally these will be higher priced in KL and there may be more opportunities.

I live in Sarawak...which you definitely did not want to consider so cannot detail or correct these prices. But they seem fairly accurate from my visits to both cities.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Kuala-Lumpur

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Johor-Bahru

Note the vast difference in apartment costs between living in downtown JB vs. KL. Overall prices are 10-20% higher in KL for several reasons (port city, lower priced jobs [supply-demand], and it has economy of scale...serving a Singapore community that shops for bargains).

As to commuting between Johor and KL they used to have an automated pass system...but that seems only available to those with Long Term Social Visas now (unsure if MM2H are eligible) MACS - Really bad news

There could also be issues on the Singapore side with someone driving with a Malaysian registered vehicle and inappropriate visas...https://www.motorist.my/article/393/...into-singapore

Last edited by RedApe; Sep 3rd 2019 at 10:29 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedApe
Your kids tuition is about correct depending on the school. Each school has a variety of application, association, laboratory fees, trip fees, etc. These can be substantial.

The suggestion above that you obtain 3 guardian visas might be tangible. But not if one of the guardians is commuting back to HK every week. Maybe you could do it by having your parents and spouse do the Guardian visas. But what happens if the ask about YOUR repeated trips in and out? Guardian visas are only good for one year and must be renewed with the Student Visa. As soon as the child reaches the age of 18 and is eligible for Tertiary education, I think the Guardian visa is not offered any more (the exception may be Muslim females). Extracurricular activities...depends on what you want your kids doing. But generally these will be higher priced in KL and there may be more opportunities.

I live in Sarawak...which you definitely did not want to consider so cannot detail or correct these prices. But they seem fairly accurate from my visits to both cities.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Kuala-Lumpur

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Johor-Bahru

Note the vast difference in apartment costs between living in downtown JB vs. KL. Overall prices are 10-20% higher in KL for several reasons (port city, lower priced jobs [supply-demand], and it has economy of scale...serving a Singapore community that shops for bargains).
The guardian visa was suggested in connection with a move to Phuket not KL.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 11:12 am
Just Joined

nahini26 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct KL is much easier to get work Visa compared to other asian countries due to geographic government and economy.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

The guardian visa was suggested in connection with a move to Phuket not KL.
Oh...Malaysia also offers Guardian Visas but the rules are likely different. The OP doesn't seem interested in living anyplace other than Peninsular Malaysia. He seems to have missed the fact that I pointed out that getting a visa in Kuching, Sarawak would allow him to live on the Peninsula. One possible difficulty is that he wants to enroll his kids in school and how that would work (would a Peninsula school accept an MM2H Visa issued in Sarawak...I don't see why not). But Sarawak doesn't issue "student endorsements" in the passport, the issue Student Visas for both Primary and Tertiary students, so how that would work out is unclear.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 2:08 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

RedApe, MM2H is probably OP’s easiest way to get residency for him and kids, and get a student pass in their passports as well - but would prevent OP from working in KL.

As to OP’s request on costs, I have provided some idea already but as it is not acknowledged by OP, I’m not commenting further on that.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

RS2000 appears to have a lot of specific requirements (bringing in kids, parents -mentioned on another thread), not enough liquid assets/financials (another thread), wants to live a high-end lifestyle (maid) and is inflexible on most of those points. To qualify he needs to be more flexible and consider other options. He might have to sell his property in HK to qualify for the "under 50" MM2H. Surely that would give him more than enough cash.

Or wait until he's over 50.

He still wouldn't gain permanent residency with MM2H...and with all the ins-and-outs for work he would be unlikely to gain tax residency (though since he's not working in Malaysia that's likely irrelevant unless there is some benefit re. HK taxation). There's no benefit with US taxes ASFAIK vs. living in HK.
Old Sep 8th 2019, 1:25 pm
womble

Could be worse than HK re USA taxes, as MY and USA do not have a tax treaty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.