Moving from HK to KL

Old Aug 23rd 2019, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

rs2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from HK to KL

Hi All,

We are currently living in Hong Kong and thinking of moving to KL through MM2H
we are planning so that my wife n kids will move to KL while I will work here in HK and stay in a small apartment n visit them every month. The cost of living in hk is very high n given we have 3 kids in international schools, it’s been difficult managing expenses. The small apartments here also don’t help much !

I am trying to calculate the cost of living for a family of 5
we have 3 kids: aged :12 , 8, 4 years
I am looking to maintain the same kind of standard of living (if not better) as we have in HK

such as
2000 sqft+ condo in central area such as damansara or mont kiara
international affordable schools for kids such Cempaka internationl school. Looking at cap of 5k RM per month per child
Housemaid

I have tried to work out some basic calulations, please help me finalize these

Rent: 6000
School= 14000 (for all 3 kids)
Maid= 1500
Goreceries: 4500
Utilities: 500
Misc enttertainment (Movies, eating out etc over weekend): 2000
Car (installments, petrol etc): 1000
Shopping & extra curricular classes for kids: 3000
Total= 32500 RM

Can you please help be tidy up the budget a bit as the total comes out to be a bit high that what I expected? I know there is no limit for expenses but I tried to price in the school, housing based on my research and other expenses based on how we spend here in HK (offcourse its much more expensive here)

thanks a lot
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:08 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from HK to KL

School fees : http://www.cempaka.edu.my/resources/...es_2017_18.pdf

Rent: I property.com.my but looking at 8-10k for something in simple in Damansara. 10-18k in Mont Kiara

Maid:2300-2800

Groceries: 4500 if you want local, 6000 expat food

Utilities 1500-3000 depending on how much you like aircon in the haze
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Well we don't know what your Standard of Living is in HK. And is the currency above in MYR. Everything looks really high to me....except the schooling which seems low.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry=Malaysia
Old Aug 24th 2019, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rs2000
I am trying to calculate the cost of living for a family of 5
we have 3 kids: aged :12 , 8, 4 years
I am looking to maintain the same kind of standard of living (if not better) as we have in HK
Strange. Why you are not going "home" to Europe? Where you can get the best education in the world for your three kids completely free. And in many countries with three kids you get already a very high children's allowance just for sending them to school Whatever you save with costs of living or rent in countries like Malaysia are burnt away completely by sending them to international schools. You really need to have a very deep love for Malaysia to do this
Old Aug 24th 2019, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Peep is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Rs2000,

We are in a position where we have to leave KL and move back to the UK so our apartment is up for rent. It’s in Bangsar, near BSC and the new MRT station. It’s a 3+1 bedroom (+1 is for the maid) and I can give you more details and pictures in PM.

Give be me a shout if the area may suit.

Thanks
peep
Old Aug 24th 2019, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny234 is an unknown quantity at this point

We move from Hong Kong to Phuket in 2016 You can get guardians visa the budget you have you can live luxury in Phuket let me know if you are interested i’ll give you the breakdown.MM2H visa is expensive You can easily get guardians visa from school.

Last edited by Jenny234; Aug 24th 2019 at 2:42 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's because he isn't British or European. He's from HK and his wife and kids are US passport holders (according to a different thread). He also wants to continue to work in HK.
Old Aug 24th 2019, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think that if you compare the International Cambridge Tuition and Fees of Cempaka with your budget you'll have a heart attack.
http://www.cempaka.edu.my/resources/...es_2017_18.pdf
your budget is 5k/child/month

Application Fee = 12K Term Security Deposit = 15 K Tuition Fee/Year between RM34-54K/year (I assume the deposit is taken out of that). So monthly (after application fee) you'll be paying between RM3000-4500/month/student.

But over in Sarawak at Tunku Putra International the annual fees are between 16-25K per year for the Cambridge Curriculum (20% Founder's Discount) w/ 100% registration fee waiver and a 5% lifetime cap on fee increases.

https://tphis.edu.my/fees/
Old Aug 24th 2019, 11:28 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedApe
Well we don't know what your Standard of Living is in HK. And is the currency above in MYR. Everything looks really high to me....except the schooling which seems low.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...untry=Malaysia
we moved from Sarawak toKL a year ago, for work, and our costs quite literally nearly doubled eg live in full time maid who cooks was 1500, to live out 8-4 non cooking maid at 2300; rent from 5k for a four storey semiD with garden to 12k for a large condo

KL is a very expensive city, even more so with the exchange rate dropping from sterling to ringgit.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenny234
We move from Hong Kong to Phuket in 2016 You can get guardians visa the budget you have you can live luxury in Phuket let me know if you are interested i’ll give you the breakdown.MM2H visa is expensive You can easily get guardians visa from school.
I would not consider Phuket or Thailand although I live there. Reason are visa issues. Every year you need to re-apply for the guardian visa. It may be fine for the wife but not for the husband. Commuting between HKG and Thailand will be a bureaucratic nightmare. The risk of being questioned by immigration after ??? visits and the chance of getting turned back after ???visits. Every time you come/go your wife has to file a report with immigration, called TM30. Cost of living is lower than HKG but it is higher than Malaysia. Easiest way for a visa would be Thailand Elite Program if you have spare money you can write off.
Good luck wherever you decide to go.
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

I think that if you compare the International Cambridge Tuition and Fees of Cempaka with your budget you'll have a heart attack.
http://www.cempaka.edu.my/resources/...es_2017_18.pdf
your budget is 5k/child/month

Application Fee = 12K Term Security Deposit = 15 K Tuition Fee/Year between RM34-54K/year (I assume the deposit is taken out of that). So monthly (after application fee) you'll be paying between RM3000-4500/month/student.

But over in Sarawak at Tunku Putra International the annual fees are between 16-25K per year for the Cambridge Curriculum (20% Founder's Discount) w/ 100% registration fee waiver and a 5% lifetime cap on fee increases.

https://tphis.edu.my/fees/
Thanks

So you total is 4500RM/month/child = 3*4500= 13,500 RM/month isn't that what I also calculated (~15k for 3 kids/month)?
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

thanks I haven't applied to MM2H yet and hence our timeline isn't final yet.
I will come there and then search for apartment based on the schools
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

I think that's because he isn't British or European. He's from HK and his wife and kids are US passport holders (according to a different thread). He also wants to continue to work in HK.
yes that is correct. I will keep my job in HK and travel to KL 1-2 a month over weekends. Please help with the costs I mentioned above

thanks again!
Old Aug 27th 2019, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

for reason of commuting from HK and for familiarity, I do want to move my family to KL. kindly help with my questions
Old Aug 29th 2019, 10:55 pm
womble

Originally Posted by rs2000
for reason of commuting from HK and for familiarity, I do want to move my family to KL. kindly help with my questions
ive already answered some of them. What more do you need to know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.