British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Moving and getting a job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/moving-getting-job-732338/)

Paul_Leeds Sep 14th 2011 1:18 pm

Moving and getting a job

Hello to the forum. Just joined. My partner has (almost definitely!) got a job in KL and I'm interested in finding out more about living in KL and also in getting a job myself. Any tips?

:)

joamelie Sep 15th 2011 1:14 am

Re: Moving and getting a job

What do you do? What are your skills? What are you interested in. I believe that they have recently changed the rules on accompanying spouse working, you used to have to get an employment pass of your own, but now you just need to get a job offer and a letter of no objection from the company that has bought you out here.
KL is a great place to live! Good luck,
Jo

bakedbean Sep 15th 2011 5:28 am

Hi Paul and welcome to BE :) Think you will find a few folks on here who have moved or about to move to KL, so have a good browse through the threads on here.

Paul_Leeds Sep 16th 2011 10:20 am

Originally Posted by joamelie (Post 9621914)
What do you do? What are your skills? What are you interested in. I believe that they have recently changed the rules on accompanying spouse working, you used to have to get an employment pass of your own, but now you just need to get a job offer and a letter of no objection from the company that has bought you out here.
KL is a great place to live! Good luck,
Jo

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your reply. I'm hoping I can be as helpful and kind to a new forum poster(postee?) when I am living in KL!

I have 8 years experience in a conference management role and a Masters degree in Maths/Physics. I lead and manage a team of five people.

My current role involves running and organising events, staff management, facilities management, logistics, planning and project work. I’m also responsible for maintaining standards, measuring statistics and monitoring targets.

My skills etc below I've cut and pasted from a document I've created, so apologies for the lack of personal response to your post!!

Readily and immediately able to do any kind of job involving:

• Running conferences/events
• Office management
• Venue/facilities/accommodation management
• Hospitality
• Logistics
• Planning
• Project work

Transferrable skills:

• Project planning and management skills
• Readily understanding systems and technologies and bringing this to bear on the job in hand
• Problem-solving and optimisation
• Logical, scientific, mathematical
• Expert in Microsoft Office
• Microsoft Visio, Adobe Illustrator and AutoCAD to a basic level
• Easily able to pick up other software packages
• Administrator on a number of database packages
• Programming to get information/reports out of the systems (including use of SQL queries)
• Creative mind

Relevant other careers:

• Engineering
• Systems admin
• Business Development
• Finance
• IT
• Administration

Paul_Leeds Sep 16th 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9622207)
Hi Paul and welcome to BE :) Think you will find a few folks on here who have moved or about to move to KL, so have a good browse through the threads on here.

Thanks very much! not sure about the Red Rose though! ;) Yorkshire lad and all!

ex reg Sep 16th 2011 11:53 am

Just read your CV type post.
I've been retired out here for 12 plus years so things may well have changed.
Other posters will let you know if I am well out of the loop.
As a Director of a large International Engineering company if my HR people sent me a CV with stuff like yours I'd feel a bit cold about it.
In the day when I used to read a few CVs I liked them to be a bit less formal and blunt.
OK you have to put yourself forward but somehow find a way to do it less in your face.
Now the rest of your CV may well be like that and the bit you've noted is just to get some stuff across.
It may be that what you've put down is OK in UK and Europe it may well be OK here now and in fact the companies you apply to may have people who expect that sort of style.

So I may be out of kilter.
Perhaps you will tailor it to suit particular positions as they become available.

Just a suggestion to take or throw away.:)

Just one more point, over the 30 plus years I worked in the region I applied for many jobs with different companies.
I never got a job through my CV and application.
I was always head hunted.
So feel free to discard my post.:cool:

Paul_Leeds Sep 16th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9624981)
Just read your CV type post.
I've been retired out here for 12 plus years so things may well have changed.
Other posters will let you know if I am well out of the loop.
As a Director of a large International Engineering company if my HR people sent me a CV with stuff like yours I'd feel a bit cold about it.
In the day when I used to read a few CVs I liked them to be a bit less formal and blunt.
OK you have to put yourself forward but somehow find a way to do it less in your face.
Now the rest of your CV may well be like that and the bit you've noted is just to get some stuff across.
It may be that what you've put down is OK in UK and Europe it may well be OK here now and in fact the companies you apply to may have people who expect that sort of style.

So I may be out of kilter.
Perhaps you will tailor it to suit particular positions as they become available.

Just a suggestion to take or throw away.:)

thank you. It's not cut and pasted from my CV, it's from a separate document which was designed to be quite bullet-pointed. I'd love your feedback on my actual CV if it's possible to get this to you. It's so difficult to get feedback on CVs without someone trying to sell you a CV writing service!!

bakedbean Sep 16th 2011 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Leeds (Post 9624843)
Thanks very much! not sure about the Red Rose though! ;) Yorkshire lad and all!

Ah it's meant to be an English rugby rose, young man. Tho has already been pointed out to me that I'm looking like a Labour supporter :frown: