Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Movie Recommendations old or new

Movie Recommendations old or new

Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice
Default Re: Movie Recommendations old or new

I completely agree. Hubby & I went to Gurney Plaza on Friday night to watch it and we thought the first half was fantastic but then it slowed down and got going again towards the end.

Brilliant film!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat View Post
I've worked in many places around the globe but settled here after my last contract expired, I simply love everything about Malaysia.
This is my biggest concern, that I'll love it so much I'll not want to go back to cold, over-priced Britain! Still, I suppose I could always plan to retire in MY if I love it that much!
Old Jun 18th 2011, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

I went on Thursday night to see the new Green Lantern movie after being suitably impressed when viewing the trailers at another movie.

However, if you've seen the trailers then don't bother going because that is about as good as it gets.

The main villain is an entity that threatens the universe but it is absolutely devoid of any character & while you know it is pretty menacing it fails to engage the audience & is difficult to relate to.

The Green Lantern is played by Ryan Reynolds & while he looks every inch a super hero he is successful in delivering a very meagre performance.

To me the storyline was the real let down as it was completely uninspiring.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 7:44 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by optimistic_jim View Post
This is my biggest concern, that I'll love it so much I'll not want to go back to cold, over-priced Britain! Still, I suppose I could always plan to retire in MY if I love it that much!
Absolutely
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Earlier in the week I went to the Wednesday afternoon showing of Transformers 3, Dark Of The Moon in 3D at Queensbay.

If you are looking for a screenplay with Oscar winning potential then Transformers should not be your first port of call as the script was devoid of any creativity.

However, people don't go to see a Transformers movie for the script as it is the action that is the main attraction and this movie delivers action in spades.

This is definitely the best Transformers movie so far & it is a fantastic showcase for how to create a movie in 3D. The action is non stop & I have to admit I really enjoyed watching this movie.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Scrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really niceScrasey2 is just really nice

Pleased to hear Transformers is a good film as I bought Premiere Class tickets today to see it on Friday at Gurney Plaza.

I tried to get tickets yesterday afternoon for the 9.15 pm showing last night but were all sold out so I went off in a strop but went back today and got tickets for next Friday instead!

Looking forward to it.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:41 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I'd update this thread.

These are the latest movies I've seen at the cinema:

Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides
Paul
King Fu Panda 2

Tonight I'm going to the opening night of the latest X-Men Movie

I watched Pirates & the Panda in 3D at Queensbay and Paul in 2D at Gurney

I enjoyed all 3.

Pirates had some good 3D scenes in it including the early scenes in olde London town and the vicious Mermaid scenes but most of the movie was wasted in this format.

Paul was not showing at Queensbay so I travelled to Gurney, only available in 2D but it was worth the journey as it was a funny movie.

KF Panda 2 displayed some magnificent 3D sets with the depth & attention to detail of the Chinese villages & cities quite stunning. The fight scenes were choreographed superbly but I felt the speed of movement of the characters was so fast I couldn't keep up (maybe I'm getting old!). The storyline was basically a platform for further Panda movies as it was bloated by looking into Po's past & character building.
Took my kids to see Kung Fu Panda 2 and they loved it , as did I. They were laughing out loud in the cinema. A lot better than Hangover 2 which I saw the other day. Totally inaccurate geographically too.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Went to watch 'Captain America: The First Avenger' yesterday and I've got to say it surprised me as it was a lot better than the trailers I had seen suggested.

This was the final prequel movie from Marvel Studios before the anticipated mega blockbuster 'The Avengers' is released next year.

Marvel certainly know how to craft a script when introducing what is essentially an old character to a new generation of movie goers & their take on 'origins' movies is a lot better than many of the X men movies or D.C comics pathetic attempt with Green Lantern.

Another plus factor was I got caught up in the storyline so it was not until the final scene that I was reminded this is essentially a movie to promote the forthcoming Avengers franchise.

I watched the movie in 3D & while depth was certainly added to the set I felt that most of the movie did not necessarily require this format. However, two 3D scenes made me flinch & one actually made me jump which is unusual. I won't scribe a spoiler but it was worth watching in 3D just for that small experience.

Highly enjoyable entertainment, rated 13pg because of all the shoot outs

Last edited by TopHattedCat; Jul 29th 2011 at 6:02 am.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:47 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to the new 'cars' movie coming out in September. My kids are cars crazy so that should be good. I tried watching The Green lantern last night but it was in Russian so I'm going to have to wait on that one.Going up to Laos on Sunday where the DVDs are 20 baht each so I will be stocking up.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:49 am

Earlier in the week I went to the Wednesday afternoon showing of Transformers 3, Dark Of The Moon in 3D at Queensbay.

If you are looking for a screenplay with Oscar winning potential then Transformers should not be your first port of call as the script was devoid of any creativity.

However, people don't go to see a Transformers movie for the script as it is the action that is the main attraction and this movie delivers action in spades.

This is definitely the best Transformers movie so far & it is a fantastic showcase for how to create a movie in 3D. The action is non stop & I have to admit I really enjoyed watching this movie.
does gp on a bit too long though. 2 and a half hours was too long for me. Good effects but when you've seen two robots fighting once you've seen it.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi View Post
does gp on a bit too long though. 2 and a half hours was too long for me. Good effects but when you've seen two robots fighting once you've seen it.

Ha Ha Ha, yes fair point

About the effects, I had a look on the IMDB webpage for this movie & I counted 707 people worked on the visual effects alone!! I think it would have taken me all day to count how many people in total worked on this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399103/fullcredits#cast
Old Aug 1st 2011, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

There are other things to do such as go to the theatre.
Check out PJ Live Arts and KL Pac, both have websites with details of what is showing. Have been to a fair number of shows, the last one a stand up comic from Australia in PJ