British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Movie Recommendations old or new (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/movie-recommendations-old-new-715121/)

TopHattedCat Apr 30th 2011 12:41 pm

Movie Recommendations old or new

To kick this off I went to GSC in Queensbay to watch Thor last Thursday its opening night (how appropriate Thors day).

I opted for the 3D cinema and kitted out with the glasses I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from start to finish.

Anthony Hopkins used his authority as the grand master of Hollywood to deliver an accomplished rendition of Odin the all father.

The Aussie actor Chris Hemsworth played the part of Thor as if he was born for the role, with his rugged good looks, rippling muscles & flowing ginger hair complete with beard he looked every inch a Viking warrior.

A lot of the earth bound scenes were wasted with 3D as they lacked the depth associated with this usually stunning effect.

The fight scenes & the scenes on Asgard were absolutely fantastic in 3D though.

If anyone goes to watch it in 3D don't leave when the credits start to roll as many did at this showing as it is like a 3D virtual reality ride through space.

I've got to admit I grew up reading the Marvel comics & Thor was always my favourite character so it was great to see this on the silver screen.

This was easily the best movie out of the Marvel studios so far & I look forward to the next movie out of their production line; The Avengers, that also features Thor.

A big :thumbsup: from me

TopHattedCat Apr 30th 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Movie Recommendations old or new

Does anyone remember The Long Good Friday starring Bob Hoskins or that other memorable film from the late seventies Midnight Express?

I have never forgotten both movies as I thought both were great for different reasons.

Action movies really took off with the release of the Terminator movies and who can forget that crack of the whip delivered by a certain actor who before that played a starring role in Star Wars?

Maybe I should have made that last remark a bit more cryptic :D

Strider24 Apr 30th 2011 10:01 pm

You have me fired up to see Thor now. I have a terrible memory for old movies, which means I can enjoy them anew each time I see them. One of the few that always sticks however is "The Gods must Be Crazy" which was simple and hilarious beyond expectation.

bakedbean May 1st 2011 2:47 am

We could do with a little chit-chat sub-forum in Far East, couldn't we? though maybe there's not enough of us. The Middle East has The Sand Pit. Aussie has The Barbie. Someone who looks a little bit like me ;) once suggested Wok The Futt for the Far East, but it didn't go down too well. I thought it was a good name.

Movies - so many. I liked the Handmaid's Tale. Just reminded of that as I am currently in the middle of another Margaret Attwood book.

Strider24 May 1st 2011 4:16 am

Maybe Tiffin. In the old days, one always took Tiffin on Sundays. Indian for lunch and the Tiffin carrier would hold various curries, rice and condiments.

Tiffin carriers in various forms were used by everybody to carry (usually hot) food. The Nonya version would be traditional Chinese red and black lacquered multi tiered baskets.

So Tiffun or Tiffin Carrier could be a possibility. Or to reduce everything to initials which is super malaysia.."TC". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiffin_carrier
:thumbsup:

TopHattedCat May 1st 2011 5:30 am

@ strider, I never heard of the movie 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' until a Malaysian friend loaned me the dvd's for all of them. I agree they were fantastic, you summed it up perfectly with the line "simple and hilarious beyond expectation".

@ baked bean, "Wok The Futt" :rofl: Reading that eased my Sunday afternoon hangover :D
I have not seen the "Handmaid's Tale", is it possible for me to get this on dvd in Penang?

Strider24 May 1st 2011 6:16 am

Was the inspiration for "Wok the futt" Tony gambles out of tune electric ukulele playing Fut Da Wok? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJAY7rdiaBo

Seriously painful stuff.:blink:

bakedbean May 1st 2011 8:47 am

Dunno on both counts. We only watch movies on TV these days.

Scrasey2 May 4th 2011 4:06 am

Ha! Wok the Futt. Love it.

Will definitely go to see Thor in 3D now. I was just going to wait a week or two and see if I could get it on DVD (!!) but think Hubby & I will splash out now and go to the cinema instead!

TopHattedCat May 5th 2011 7:49 am

Hi Scrasey2, you should go, I had forgotten just how good the cinema experience is compared to watching on DVD.

Looking forward to the opening night of the next installment of Pirates Of The Caribbean in a couple of weeks time. I'm hoping it will not be one sequel too many as let's face it, a movie can only have so many sequels until it runs out of steam.

TopHattedCat Jun 2nd 2011 11:19 am

Thought I'd update this thread.

These are the latest movies I've seen at the cinema:

Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides
Paul
King Fu Panda 2

Tonight I'm going to the opening night of the latest X-Men Movie

I watched Pirates & the Panda in 3D at Queensbay and Paul in 2D at Gurney

I enjoyed all 3.

Pirates had some good 3D scenes in it including the early scenes in olde London town and the vicious Mermaid scenes but most of the movie was wasted in this format.

Paul was not showing at Queensbay so I travelled to Gurney, only available in 2D but it was worth the journey as it was a funny movie.

KF Panda 2 displayed some magnificent 3D sets with the depth & attention to detail of the Chinese villages & cities quite stunning. The fight scenes were choreographed superbly but I felt the speed of movement of the characters was so fast I couldn't keep up (maybe I'm getting old!). The storyline was basically a platform for further Panda movies as it was bloated by looking into Po's past & character building.

optimistic_jim Jun 4th 2011 10:10 pm

I hope there is more to do in Malaysia than watch movies! I do love seeing films though, haven't been much recently though, only with the kids and each time I have to re-mortgage!

Wanna see Thor, not too bothered about latest Pirates film, apparently it's good but much less effects this time, which means the story might be half-decent which is a good thing.

What the Futt is an amazing name, please do send me an invite!

the troubadour Jun 5th 2011 1:56 am

Used to find what was being offered at Malaysian cinemas rather limited. Don't imagine too much has changed there?
Laws being rather strict on what is offensive.

TV didn't have a lot to offer but barely watched it anyway so wasn't unduely concerned.
Do recall shows in English including The Love Boat,( it was the eighties),along with an ancient war show with Vic Morrows called Combat.

Shame about the high cost of bringing in DVDs there, in the sense of them being required to be passed as fit for viewing under local laws.

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 2:42 am

Hi optimistic Jim,

Ohhh yes, there is certainly much more to Malaysia than watching movies. I started going again recently as I edit a Malaysian review website so I started adding movie reviews the day after they are released.

I've worked in many places around the globe but settled here after my last contract expired, I simply love everything about Malaysia.

Malaysia has some world class tourist destinations that should be the envy of many countries, in fact I'm still working through my list of places I want to visit in Malaysia let alone SE Asia.

@ the Troubadour,

Malaysian cinema has changed for the better with the rise of cinema complexes such as GSC in the shopping malls providing movie theatres on a par with in Europe/USA. The majority of the movies I have watched recently have been in 3D & it is a great effect when used well by film directors.

I used to wait until the new movies were out on DVD before watching them but all of a sudden I've rediscovered the value & joy of watching them at the cinema.

Life's not all about beaches, fish head curry, football, cave systems, sailing, national parks & scuba diving; gotta have a bit of variety:)

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 2:57 am

X Men: First Class, the latest edition in the X Men franchise is much much better than the previous 2 X Men movies.

Starring James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender & Kevin Bacon these 3 all put in fantastic performances with Bacon playing an excellent villain & Fassbender undoubtedly stealing the show by giving a performance that will see him being a busy actor in years to come.

The first half of the movie is absolutely enthralling & the storyline is acted out superbly by all the cast. Midway the movie gets bogged down a bit & loses momentum but this soon picks up again as the tension builds before the last epic battle.

If you used to be interested in the comic books when you were a kid I think you will enjoy this movie.

Following on from the excellent Thor this looks like being a good year for the Marvel Studios with the upcoming Avengers due for release soon.

The comic book movie genre will also see the release of DC's the Green Lantern in 3 weeks & after being wowed by the trailers I can't wait to see this movie in 3D.