British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Movement Control Order (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/movement-control-order-931751/)

Hovite Mar 16th 2020 6:05 pm

Movement Control Order

Malaysians are banned from travelling abroad but no mention of foreigners and airports to remain open so I assume I can still fly to Japan on Thursday. Am I right?

RedApe Mar 17th 2020 2:31 am

Re: Movement Control Order

Provided there are airlines. Without there being Malaysians traveling abroad, Malaysians returning to Malaysia having to face a 14 Day quarantine, and a ban on all foreign travelers who would be filling the seats in and out?

Contact the airline.

Hovite Mar 17th 2020 3:17 am

Regarding my flight on Thursday, I assume Red Ape your answer is yes. I have my new e-ticket and will check in online tonight.

RedApe Mar 17th 2020 6:43 am

Good luck. Likely the airlines will tolerate/be unable to reschedule flights immediately. But as passenger numbers decline that would seem to be a likely consequence.

Flights will, more and more, look like charters...and maybe once a week...rather than regularly scheduled.

As yet there is no clear statement from the government as to whether foreign passport holders with MM2H will be allowed re-entry....even with 14-day quarantine.

Hovite Mar 17th 2020 7:24 am

Thank you Red Ape. I have a LTSVP and it is not clear whether I could re-enter. The wording I have seen refers to foreign tourists and visitors, which seems a little vague. Still, my scheduled return to Malaysia is 27 April and I have enough funds in Japan to live their for 7 months and a Resident card to boot. So I won't break sweat just yet.

Gunnar45 Mar 17th 2020 9:06 am

Seems that as of today, the ban on entry for non-Malaysians also includes holders of MM2H and LTSVP.
I have this information from a friend who was due to travel to Malaysia this week.
He has a LTSVP and visited the Malaysian embassy to get clarifications and was told that he would not be allowed to enter the country.
They told him that this also applies for those with MM2H.

SushiFan Mar 17th 2020 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12822110)
Seems that as of today, the ban on entry for non-Malaysians also includes holders of MM2H and LTSVP.
I have this information from a friend who was due to travel to Malaysia this week.
He has a LTSVP and visited the Malaysian embassy to get clarifications and was told that he would not be allowed to enter the country.

There appears to be one exception to this rule related to LTSVP holders. In case the LTSVP holder is married to a Malaysian citizen AND can prove this marriage upon returning/entering Malaysia will this LTSVP holder allowed in. But has to go through health screening and 14 days of self-quarantine.

Hovite Mar 17th 2020 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 12822110)

In which country is the embassy?

Gunnar45 Mar 17th 2020 11:01 am

Hovite, it was in Sri Lanka. But as mentioned by Sushifan, there is an exception for LTSVP holders, at least as per item 9 in the following:

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nati...-control-order

9. I am a Malaysian and my husband is a Briton. Would we be allowed to return during the period of the movement control order?

You may, provided you can show proof of marriage which has been either registered with the Malaysian authorities or the original country. The couple would have to go through health screening and self-quarantine to lessen the possibility of being infected or infecting others.

Gunnar45 Mar 17th 2020 11:04 am

I guess, the decision to impose the various restrictions was made rather hasty, so there may come some more amendments.

OriginalSunshine Mar 17th 2020 11:26 pm

You can fly out but you may not be allowed back in, depending on your circumstances

Hovite Mar 17th 2020 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 12822577)
You can fly out but you may not be allowed back in, depending on your circumstances

I have a Japanese Resident card and enough funds there to live for 7 months :thumbsup: That should keep me going till I can use my LTSVP to get back to Sabah.

One happy bunny :thumbup:

RedApe Mar 21st 2020 6:15 pm

The MM2H websites have as yet posted any information. But a related site for other Visas...Expert and Employment Visas, have posted some relevant information.

https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/latest...LoYbffcCTpSuQc

Perhaps helpful?